The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Anyone have a sexual selection essay i could see?

The stuff i mentioned was;
-millers lapdancing study
-intrasexual selection & intersexual selection
- and a bit on parental investment

but im not sure if thats good enough?
Anyone know what gender / relationships / aggression questions came up in January? And which ones are likely tomorrow?

Though not putting all my eggs on likely q's... I know AQA are dicks and sometimes throw in a wildcard and repeat questions. :tongue:

I'd be a happy bunny if I got a nice biological question for aggression or gender, I'm not so fond of the psychological and can't stand social (had enough of SLT :tongue: )

Also, a reminder that if it's an evolutionary essay always bring it back to how each element relates to gene survival or you'll lose loads of unnecessary marks! :redface:
Original post by KKN
Ohh thank you :smile: you don't happen to know the Aggression one do you? I haven't even revised aggression :| I did an all nighter went to sleep at 6 and only just got up... I have sooo much to do today :'( and that's exactly the same with me, I don't properly revise until its last minute and even then motivation levels are low lol

I don't know aggresssion sorry! I only know gender, rellies and eating behaviour.

I've basically gotta go over my whole biology spec in 4 days. It's out of 100 and the highest marks I've seen needed for an A is 68. I got 67 in the mock but I still feel like I'm gonna flop because it's so hard and my exam board are really anal about what terms you use.

Either way, we're all helping each other - so when we come out the exam we can all b*tch about the questions or be really happy about them.
If i need to get 80 UMS marks on this paper how much does that equate to in percentage roughly or marks per essay? I'm not a maths person, help would be most appreciated! :smile:
Reply 2924
Original post by Leeshur
That's what I'm going to do - I'm using the Peacock's tail as the main crux of the explanation of sexual selection. Then I'm going to add that Darwin believes that sexual selection complements the force of natural selection. Ie - males peacocks are selectively pressurised into displaying the tail because it's what peahens find universally attractive. So technically, natural selection is successful because they have a higher chance of reproduction and the survival of their genes. Therefore, that's why the tail hasn't been eliminated by natural selection when it logically should have because it doesn't benefit the peacocks in terms of flight improvement etc.

Then I might talk about intrasexual/intersexual and their nuances + why that may affect sexual strategies. Ie - females being picky in their mate and preferring long term relationships due to their limited chances to have young in their lifespan/sharing the burden etc.
With males it's more to do with the amount of successful fertilisations because it sums down to survival of their genes, irrespective of whether they are a "low quality male".

That's great, thanks so much. So you wouldn't bother discussing the sexual strategies theory- strategies for S-T; L-T and then the research study for Norman and Kenrick?
Reply 2925
just have revised sexual selection briefly have the remaining of relahionships to revise and agression and eating behaviours
Original post by KKN
Ohh thank you :smile: you don't happen to know the Aggression one do you? I haven't even revised aggression :| I did an all nighter went to sleep at 6 and only just got up... I have sooo much to do today :'( and that's exactly the same with me, I don't properly revise until its last minute and even then motivation levels are low lol

aggression was outline research into institutional aggression (4)
discuss one or more evolutionary explanations of group display in humans (4+16)
:smile:
i have never been so nervous for an exam. haven't even started for my others on Tuesday and Wednesday. procrastinating my life away. on a positive note, if we all do awful then they'll seriously drop the grade boundaries.. who's with me ;D
Original post by ollie1994
If i need to get 80 UMS marks on this paper how much does that equate to in percentage roughly or marks per essay? I'm not a maths person, help would be most appreciated! :smile:

80 UMS would be 15+ marks an essay.
Original post by ollie1994

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php

45/72 in Jan 2012.

38/72 for a B.

Basically the grade boundaries are low, but TIGHT.
Thanks to both of You! :biggrin:
Original post by jfoster
That's great, thanks so much. So you wouldn't bother discussing the sexual strategies theory- strategies for S-T; L-T and then the research study for Norman and Kenrick?

No, no do whatever you want/know! I need to go over it again in more detail because I've found a better resource than just my books: http://brain-freeze.co.uk/psychologya2notes.html

The research study I was going to use was Buss's one about sex differences in human mate preferences.
Original post by Smarty967
i have never been so nervous for an exam. haven't even started for my others on Tuesday and Wednesday. procrastinating my life away. on a positive note, if we all do awful then they'll seriously drop the grade boundaries.. who's with me ;D

I know, I'm always aware I'm procrastinating yet leave it to the last minute anyway! And I have history on Tuesday which needs a ridiculous amount of revision and I've barely started. :tongue:

I'm being too cavalier about my exams because I only need 2 C's to get into uni (haha... 'art'.)

Hopefully we'll get a nice paper :smile: and if we get an awful paper hopefully the boundaries will be in our favour.
Original post by sophiered
Anyone know what gender / relationships / aggression questions came up in January? And which ones are likely tomorrow?

Though not putting all my eggs on likely q's... I know AQA are dicks and sometimes throw in a wildcard and repeat questions. :tongue:

I'd be a happy bunny if I got a nice biological question for aggression or gender, I'm not so fond of the psychological and can't stand social (had enough of SLT :tongue: )

Also, a reminder that if it's an evolutionary essay always bring it back to how each element relates to gene survival or you'll lose loads of unnecessary marks! :redface:

aggression was outline research inti institutional aggression (4)
discuss one or more evolutionary explanations of group display in humans (4+16)
Reply 2934
Does anyone have any good AO2 points for explanations for narcolepsy?
I know, I'm always aware I'm procrastinating yet leave it to the last minute anyway! And I have history on Tuesday which needs a ridiculous amount of revision and I've barely started. :tongue:

I'm being too cavalier about my exams because I only need 2 C's to get into uni (haha... 'art'.)

Hopefully we'll get a nice paper :smile: and if we get an awful paper hopefully the boundaries will be in our favour.

hahaha :P i have Spanish on Tuesday, then Sociology on Wednesday, literally haven't picked up my sociology stuff! listening to Spanish songs counts as revision, right?

i procrastinate cos i know i'm really struggling with this one, idiotic i know but.. :frown: i need a B in this exam to get a B i think, i've got Bs in every exam so far 8) fml.
Can someone elaborate on these two AO1 points in sleepwalking so I can include them in my work please?

"Incomplete arousal in SWS, delta and beta brain waves (found in SWS and awake state) present"

and this one

"Motor activity not inhibited, SWS immature (Olivero, 2008)."

I'm like you. I dossed about all half term. We broke up on the 25th of May and I decide to start revising like under a week before I have exams. :rolleyes:
Original post by Mmrawrr
Does anyone have any good AO2 points for explanations for narcolepsy?

Genetics - Lin et al found a genetic defect in dogs on chromosome 12, found to be responsible for the regulation of HCRT receptors. This suggests that the link between HCRT and narcolepsy is likely, however these findings are n/a to humans as the genes do not strictly correlate; the principle is applicable though
(IDA use of animals in research etc)

Wickens injected HCRT into sleep-related areas of the human brain
found a huge increase in REM sleep - shows that HCRT system is directly involved in the control of REM sleep

If you find yourself with an excess of AO1, you could turn it into AO2 by saying 'this has been supported by'...I know that's what I'm doing for sure! :smile:
Reply 2939
i am like 97% sure that social influences for gender will not come up this time - its already come up twice with the last time being january 2012. PLEASE DONT LET SOCIAL INFLUENCES COME UP, PLEASE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending