The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Unit 1 Exam, June 12th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by EmineF
That last calculation was 880 because it was 6200-1800 = 4400 then you divide it by the 5 years which is 880, not 860?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yep I got the same I'm sure it was 880 :smile:
Reply 81
Nah, definitely Zambia, the question asked for highest proportion, not highest level, and Zambia had a higher proportion than anyone else. I got 18% but messed up the mean increase question because I did cumulative increase (900 + 1900 + 2500 etc) instead of individual increases.

Overall that exam was hard BUT BIOLOGY IS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 82
Original post by themooney04
hey guys are you talking about that biology exam that was sat at 9.am and which was out of 60 marks or the one which was out of 45 marks

out of 45, sat at 9 this morning :smile:
Original post by maxtate

Can someone please mark this plz :smile: thanks :smile: and guys im defo 100% sure it was 880 because it was 4400 divided by 5 :smile:

I count 30-31 marks with harsh marking.
Original post by maxtate
Yep I got the same I'm sure it was 880 :smile:

I got 860, because the square which everyone is presuming to be 6200 wasn't a full square, it was half a square (I think and hope :tongue: If not then I apologize). So I got 6100 as that number and did the rest of the calculation the same.
The exam was werid this was my thrid time sitting this exam :') and I felt at some bits it was good and others I was just like....this is not how you ask a Biology question. But I can't predict the grade boundry as Biology is about how well you can explain the how science works and apply knowledge well :/
Original post by mighty vale
I got 860, because the square which everyone is presuming to be 6200 wasn't a full square, it was half a square (I think and hope :tongue: If not then I apologize). So I got 6100 as that number and did the rest of the calculation the same.

Yes, I remember that one of the lines reached a half square, so it must have been 6100-1800/5
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by EmineF
That last calculation was 880 because it was 6200-1800 = 4400 then you divide it by the 5 years which is 880, not 860?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

im pretty sure it was 6200-1700= 4300, therefore mean= 860?

dont shun me if im wrong, but thats what i put?
Reply 88
Original post by maxtate
1) Match the stages to the definitions?
-Animal testing for toxicity/Trial testing in humans to find optimum dose/Forgot other :/ (3).

2) Why was the headline unjustified?
-Tested on mice not humans/The average person doesn't have as many doses of caffeine /small sample size of only 50 (3).

3a) Australopithecus afarensis has been around for?
-3.8 million years (1)
3b) Ancestor of Paranthropus bosei?
-Paranthropus aethiopithicus (1)
3c) Closest relative of homo habilis?
- Homo ergaster (1)
3d) Why might scientists disagree that chinese people descended from homo erectus?
-Diagram shows that homo erectus had no descendant species/Only 20% of the fossils were found in China. (2)
3e) Why did Darwin have trouble convincing scientists about his theory of evolution?
- Not enough evidence to back up results/Fossils hadn't been discovered (2).

4a) What is malnourishment?
- Imbalance of the 7 food groups. (1).
4b) Name some effects of malnutrition?
-irregular periods/anorexia (2).
4c) Country with the highest proportion of people with insufficient food.
-Zambia (1)
4d) Effects of not having enough food?
-Bones waste away (2).

5) Why does the lionfish population boom?
-Mutation causes the lionfish to have an advantage over the other fish therefore causing variation, and as they are most suited to the environment they survive and reproduce so the population booms (3).

6a) Why should the woman have babies in her mid 20s and not late 30s?
- Chance of getting pregnant falls from 78% to 46%/Chance of infertility rises from 5% to 20% (2).
6b) Role of FSH- Maturation of egg
Role of LH- Release of egg(2).
6c) Sperm and eggs are mixed in IVF. Describe remaining stages.
- Embryo divides, most healthy one(s) transferred back into the mother's womb. (2)

7a) Why do apples taste different from their parents?
- The allele for taste was not expressed in the phenotype (2).
7b) How could the same taste be produced?
- Genetic engineering (1).
7c) Explain why this has the same taste.
- The gene for taste can be cut out of parent chromosome using enzymes and can be inserted into offspring's chromosome using enzyme (2).

8a) Calculate the percentage increase in people catching the antibiotic resistant bacteria.
- 18.1% (2).
8b) Explain in terms of natural selection why the bacteria spread more.
- Natural mutation causes resistance in bacteria to antibiotics. (3).

9a) Average increase in palm oil tree growth
- 880 per year. (2)
9b) Explain why the components of the atmosphere change as forests are cleared to plant palm oil trees.
- Deforestation causes a loss in carbon 'sink', so the locked up CO2 is released, causing global warming, and as CO2 is a greenhouse gas it traps radiation going from the Earth to the Sun so that it re-radiates to Earth, warming it up. Oil contains sulphur impurities so when it is burnt it releases SO2 which dissolves in rainwater to form H2SO4 which is acid rain. As there are less trees there's less photosynthesis so less oxygen in the atmosphere. (5)

Can someone please mark this plz :smile: thanks :smile: and guys im defo 100% sure it was 880 because it was 4400 divided by 5 :smile:

That seems very good. They seemed to ask the same question twice in 4b and 4d? For effects on the body I put poor eyesight (lack of vit A) and lean and bony (lack of fat) then for health effects I put kwashiokor and rickets. One of those might be right! I got the whole of Q7 wrong and not much of Q8 right either. For the last one, they cleared the rainforest, which released CO2 in three different ways, but then surely planting the palm oil trees would increase photosynthesis again, so more CO2 is taken in? Overall though you have done very well.
Reply 89
Original post by R.P.Everything.
Here's my unofficial mark scheme. Correct me if I am wrong, tell me if there are other answers.

1) Match the stages to the definitions?
-Animal testing for toxicity/Trial testing in humans is the first clinical stage/Test on patients to find optimum dose (3).

2) Why was the headline unjustified?
-Tested on mice not humans/6 doses of caffeine used, not one/small sample size of only 50 (3).

3a) Australopithecus afarensis has been around for?
-3.7/3.8 million years (1)
3b) Ancestor of Paranthropus bosei?
-Paranthropus aethiopithicus (1)
3c) Closest relative of homo habilis?
- Homo ergaster (1)
3d) Why might scientists disagree that chinese people descended from homo erectus?
-Diagram shows that homo erectus had no descendant species/Modern humans all descend from Homo heidelbergensis/Homo erectus fossils found elsewhere, not just in China. (2)
3e) Why did Darwin have trouble convincing scientists about his theory of evolution?
- No evidence yet for genetics or DNA/Religious objections to the fact we were not created by God (2).

4a) What is malnourishment?
- Imbalance of nutrition/unbalanced diet/lacking certain minerals (1).
4b) Name some effects of malnutrition?
-Weakened immune system/irregular periods/named deficiency disease - eg. scurvy (2).
4c) Country with the highest proportion of people with insufficient food.
-Zambia (1)
4d) Effects of not having enough food?
- Muscle wastage/irregular periods/weakened immune system/flaky skin and thin hair (2).

5) Why does the lionfish population boom?
-Alien species/no natural predators evolved alongside/little competition/no limitation of numbers/feed off plentiful native fish/high survival rate of young (3).

6a) Why should the woman have babies in her mid 20s and not late 30s?
- Chance of getting pregnant falls from 78% to 46%/Chance of infertility rises from 5% to 20% (2).
6b) Name two hormones used in fertility treatment.
- FSH and LH (2).
6c) Sperm and eggs are mixed in IVF. Describe remaining stages.
- Embryo allowed to divide/two or three healthy embryos chosen/transferred back into the mother's womb. (2)

7a) Why do apples taste different from their parents?
- Recombination of genes/different characteristics expressed causing different taste/natural mutations (2).
7b) How could the same taste be produced?
- Tissue cloning/take a cutting/planting a shoot from the same plant (1).
7c) Explain why this has the same taste.
- Genetically identical to parent/Same characteristics expressed so same taste (2).

8a) Calculate the percentage increase in people catching the antibiotic resistant bacteria.
- 18.06%/18.1% (2).
- Natural mutation/Causes resistance in bacteria/to antibiotics/less affected by antibiotics, so harder to treat/spreads more easily (3).

9a) Average increase in palm oil tree growth
- 860 per year. (2)
9b) Explain why the components of the atmosphere change as forests are cleared to plant palm oil trees.
- Original forests locked up carbon/via photosynthesis./Palm oil also takes in carbon dioxide but is released again when burnt in motor vehicles/net effect is that no extra CO2 taken in with palm trees/but forests have been cut down, so net effect is increased carbon dioxide in the air. Possible mention of sulphur dioxide and other pollutants from exhausts(5)

for question 1, iwasnt there the use of placebo, for that, i put it was used to show the medicine/drug had an effect???????
Reply 90
according to the unofficial mark scheme, i got 7 wrong... so 38/45... obviously this is subject to change, give/take one or two marks, the official mark scheme may be slightly different. But roughly, what grade does in look like? and ums?
im desperately hoping for an a*!
Reply 91
1) -Animal testing for toxicity/Trial testing in humans is the first clinical stage/Small doses to check human effect (3).

2) -Tested on mice not humans/small sample size of only 50/time scale of 2 months too short/no repeats (3).

3a) -3.8 million years (1)
3b) -Paranthropus aethiopithicus (1)
3c) -Homo ergaster (1)
3d) -Another species could be responsible/Homo erectus fossils found elsewhere, not just in China. (2)
3e) -No discovery of genetics or DNA/Inadequate evidence to prove his theory (2).

4a) - Imbalance of the different food types (1).
4b) -Irregular periods/stunted growth (2).
4c) -Zambia (1)
4d) - Starvation/anorexia (2).

5) - Mutation & variation/best adapted to the environment survive (survival of the fittest)/they reproduce and pass on these characteristics (3).

6a) -Chance of getting pregnant falls/infertility rate rises (2).
6b) -FSH - causes egg to mature/LH - stimulates egg to be released (2).
6c) - Embryos formed through division/1 or 2 best ones chosen/placed in uterus of the mother (2)

7a) Genetic variation means a mixture of genes of the parent "cells" form the daughter "cells"/different characteristics/different taste (2).
7b) -Cuttings (1).
7c) - Take a cutting/replant it/genetically identical to parent/same characteristics so same taste (2).

8a) -18.1% (2).
- Natural mutation & variation/Causes resistance in bacteria/to antibiotics/less affected by antibiotics, so harder to treat/adapt better and survive because they're the best adapted/reproduce so more are resistant (3).

9a) -860 per year. (2)
9b) -Deforestation reduces volume of carbon sinks/more CO2 in the atmosphere/because of less photosynthesis/more greenhouse gases present so effect of global warming worsens/combustion produces not only CO2 but sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides/how these affect atmospheric composition (5)

Would be great if someone could mark that, and tell me the Qs I lost marks on if possible. Cheers :smile:
Original post by daniya12
im pretty sure it was 6200-1700= 4300, therefore mean= 860?

dont shun me if im wrong, but thats what i put?

that's what I did! :biggrin: lets hope its right :s-smilie:
Reply 93
Original post by mighty vale

That square wasn't a full square, so my answer was 860 :smile:
Reply 94
For the effects of malnutrition in 4b I'm sure it said in developed countries, so would I get marks for talking about obesity because that is being malnourished?

And then for 4d it asked about not enough food in developing countries and so I put stuff like irregular periods in that, is that right? :s-smilie:
Original post by daniya12
according to the unofficial mark scheme, i got 7 wrong... so 38/45... obviously this is subject to change, give/take one or two marks, the official mark scheme may be slightly different. But roughly, what grade does in look like? and ums?
im desperately hoping for an a*!

Hmmm I wonder, think that might be a B..:s-smilie:
It was so hard! Sheesh! The wording of the questions were really vague and awkward, and i couldn't even work out what they was asking me half the time! Genuinely felt like breaking down halfway through it :-(
Reply 97
Original post by rosieplimmer
It was so hard! Sheesh! The wording of the questions were really vague and awkward, and i couldn't even work out what they was asking me half the time! Genuinely felt like breaking down halfway through it :-(

I agree with you there Rosie, I've seen better questions before. But the exam was ok I suppose :smile:
Reply 98
What was the gene question about? I did not get it. The diagram
Reply 99
Original post by poistar
What was the gene question about? I did not get it. The diagram

I don't remember there being a diagram about genes.. are you sure you did the same exam? (This is old spec) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending