The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel History Unit 3 12th June 2012 (Discussion)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
Original post by lilGem
cold war option:

I did the question on Eisenhower- talked about his policy in theory and in practise, compared it to that of Khrushchev and challenged the question by questioning the extent of coexistence at the time- used a fair amount of OK but I completely forgot to talk about the Austrian State treaty :frown: which really annoyed me.

also chose the end game: sources were limited when talking about people power so you couldn't x-ref, talked about the importance of personalities and economic troubles. Managed to use a fair amount of OK and managed to evaluate throughout.

Hoping it went better than the mock :s-smilie: Overall really liked the paper :smile:

oh crap I missed out Austrian State treaty too. But my thoughts are that the Austrian State Treaty was more of a plus point for 'Peaceful Coexistence' so if you were arguing that Eisenhower reacted non-confrontational as Khruschev didn't either with his 'peaceful coexistence' in reference then it's worthwhile putting it down, but I think even if you made that point, which I did the fact that we missed the Austrian State Treaty shouldn't matter too much. :smile:
Reply 841
That's what I thought! I didn't include Austrian state treaty either! Not the focus of the question :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 842
Original post by Fliss.p
That's what I thought! I didn't include Austrian state treaty either! Not the focus of the question :smile:

Yeah that's what I thought too :smile:
I thought it was an interesting take on the thaw section because they based it round Eisenhower, and you had to have sufficient info on causes of thaw and how far it was a thaw during his time!
Like to do with his policies- face value confrontation and baseline he adapted to pragmatism and the situation of the cold war that was developing with MAD and all that :smile: hopefully it all came out okay! It was also interesting because of course you only had the year 1953-60 and we didn't get the failures of Kennedy's times during the Thaw obviously :smile: Took me a while to work out what I was going to put as my sustained argument though! :smile:
Reply 843
Original post by ruth_1994
I did the exact same :smile: Thought it was alright to be honest. I'm just kind of annoyed that I've wasted so many hours of my life revising Germany from 1900-1945..and then only answered questions on 1900-1914. Ah well :smile:

Like you and the previous poster I done the same questions with similar answers 5 pages for the first 8 for the second (which i started with), but whereas you revised the full unit one of the teachers in my history department was adament that this year the exam would primarily be about pre-1924 history as opposed to nazism and golden years of weimar (which might aswell not be in the syullabus but thats an arguement for another day lool), so i took the risk of not revising anything after that year and was really ecstatic to see the questions that came up. Also wondering if anyone found the sources for part B helpful or a hindrance? whereas normally they're specific in their content they seemed very generalised in terms of mentioning many different factors; I found it allowed for a greater scope of things to mention but found the sources annoying to work with, especially as they had to drive the arguement....
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 844
Yeah I know what you mean about the time period I made sure I didnt go out the time period, I don't think it's like a really hard question as in you could argue it either way, so I hope I made sense in mine! :tongue:

Reply 845
Original post by gahyee94
oh crap I missed out Austrian State treaty too. But my thoughts are that the Austrian State Treaty was more of a plus point for 'Peaceful Coexistence' so if you were arguing that Eisenhower reacted non-confrontational as Khruschev didn't either with his 'peaceful coexistence' in reference then it's worthwhile putting it down, but I think even if you made that point, which I did the fact that we missed the Austrian State Treaty shouldn't matter too much. :smile:

Yeah I basically put that- I talked about how Khrushchev rejected the open skies proposal etc. That was essentially what I wanted to put about the treaty but I'm hoping my argument was substantial enough :smile:
Reply 846
Original post by Cassius
Yeah it was annoying that the dates were the same for both questions for part A, but I reckon if you'd revised Tudor government machine then it shouldn't have been impossible.

Did you do Wyatt or the parliament question? I had two good paragraphs which each had their own point, and then a weird mash-up of a third paragraph where I put in a sentence about every other factor I could think of. Just glad it's out of the way really!

Hmm I did revise the Tudor government machine, but I didn't really have much knowledge of the Privy council, I'm hoping I still did okay in that section.

I did the Wyatt rebellion, yourself? I'm so so glad that it's out of the way. Maths tomorrow! :redface:
Original post by ruth_1994
I did the exact same :smile: Thought it was alright to be honest. I'm just kind of annoyed that I've wasted so many hours of my life revising Germany from 1900-1945..and then only answered questions on 1900-1914. Ah well :smile:

ah so glad to talk to someone else that done the same as me, no one else in my whole YEAR took the 1900-1914 question. its super annoying, the least amount of time spent on chapter 1 yet the only chapter i needed! grr!
Reply 848
Original post by lilGem
Yeah I basically put that- I talked about how Khrushchev rejected the open skies proposal etc. That was essentially what I wanted to put about the treaty but I'm hoping my argument was substantial enough :smile:

i didn't mention the Austrian state treaty either! it wasn't an act of Eisenhower's so didn't feel it relevant. i mentioned it briefly, like name-dropped it, i said something like Eisenhower saw the end of the Korean war and that with the austrian state treaty saw a reduction of hostile areas therefore removing a point of confrontation

i totally didn't mention khruschev as a point of his own - only saying that Eisenhower was open to his peaceful coexistence
Reply 849
The exam wasn't too bad, could've gone better. From reading these answers it seems that I answered the questions along the right lines, hopefully.
Like many of you, I spend about 5 mins choosing which of the 2 French rev questions to do, I just ended up choosing the Charles X one.
I wrote about:
- The fact that he didn't come on the throne at a good time because Louis had died leaving the country in discontent, this could be a reason why his rule failed as opposed to him being politically "inert" (didn't actually know what that word meant, i assumed it meant rubbish lol)
- I wrote about him being politically inert because of the ordinaces of St. cloud, his upsetting of the liberals, ignoring bits of the charter and trying to turn the political system back to how it was in 1789
- In contrast to the question i spoke about that fact that he wasn't politically inert and used a quote that i remembered from Charles X 'i would rather chop wood than rule in the way of the English monarch'.I wrote that he was socially inert for example the press censorship, introduction of Jesuits and introducing a death penalty for questioning Catholicism also the fact that he decided to go hunting when the first signs of the July Revolution came about.
I'm hoping i did okay with that.
I did the Napoleon controv and i'm not expecting very much from that as I suck with sources. Also, the fact that it was pretty hard to argue that it wasn't Napoleon's fault as it mostly was.
i spoke about the main things:
-peninsular war - 'Spanish ulcer'
-Russian campaign
-Austrian campaign
-Having too big an empire
-Not being prepared for the Russian campaign
-Some other stuff that i can't remember lol.

Hopefully we all did well.
Reply 850
I'm getting abit paranoid .. Over the fact I've used the right sources for the right question .. Seems like I'm the only one who answered the detente question ?

Reply 851
Original post by AK0001
Hmm I did revise the Tudor government machine, but I didn't really have much knowledge of the Privy council, I'm hoping I still did okay in that section.

I did the Wyatt rebellion, yourself? I'm so so glad that it's out of the way. Maths tomorrow! :redface:

Yeah, I'm not sure I could have written an entire essay on the Privy Council... If it's any consolation, the other question was equally hard!

I did the Wyatt rebellion too. It was so nice and straightforward, and the sources were quite good as well. Good luck with maths! :smile:
Reply 852
Original post by MissBlueskys
I did exactly these two questions. In the past exams and coursework I have got ADA, so I need about 95% to get an A overall and about 60% to a B overall so really hoping I managed to get the B.

For the first question I sort of analysed the question and split it into two different arguements. The first section of my answer was questioning whether Louis actually left a "favourable political position" for Charles X and the second half I looked at Charles X had "political ineptness" that lost him the throne. I think my first bit relied too heavily on the Charter. In the second bit I sort of forgot the start of Charles' reign fo mainly talked about what about in 1829 and got really descriptive for 1830. It was rushed towards the end but that conclusion was definitely better than the one for Section B.

In the Section B I was slightly thrown by the Jacobin aspect because it was the one we had spent less time on in class but was pretty determined to do that question cause I knew all the marxist/revisionist debates. I pretty much scraped everything I could out of the sources so I could talk about jacobins, class conflict, flight to varennes, war, kings vetos and the economy. It was quite a lot rushed and my own knowledge was really random, I think I mentioned the Diamond Necklace affair and a random letter the King wrote to an Archbishop. I only thought about cross references a little so that wasn't great. The conclusion for this was completely rubbish, can't even remember what I decided was the most important factor in the end :s-smilie:

i did this too! although i completely forgot the about the economic downturn it went something like this:
louis success in his reign
how louis undermined the principles of the restoration - concludes he did not leave a particularly favourable position
charles long term actions - his reign, ultras, opposition growing etc.
charles short term - 1830 actions
concluded that louis undermined the charter from the start leaving a weakened monarchy for charles and although charles' political ineptness was the direct cause (actions especially in 1830) the bourbons were undermined from the beginning so therefore not ONLY his political ineptness that led to downfall (that was the wording in the question)

does that sound about right? haha. threw in a few historians, quotes, stats and kept referring to the question throughout also!
Reply 853
Original post by awaydayboy
I'll take that then :wink: !

I did opposition to roosevelt.. Glad it came up as It was the only bullet point I revised ! What did you choose for part A ?

I went for the reasons for the boom. I'd done a massive PowerPoint on the boom, a quarter of which was all about the motor manufacturing industry, so I was quite happy :smile:

just out of interest, what conclusion did you reach about the new deal? I decided that it didn't really revive the economy, what with the recession, unemployment and failures of various agencies, but it did revive the banking sector. How about you?
I did faction fighting and Wyatts rebellion. Talked about 1540 Cromwell plot, 1543 cranked plot, 1546 Parr plot, Somerset manipulating Henry's will with the dry stamp, and Northumberland trying to put LJG on the throne.
Original post by Sentenashi
I did faction fighting and Wyatts rebellion. Talked about 1540 Cromwell plot, 1543 cranked plot, 1546 Parr plot, Somerset manipulating Henry's will with the dry stamp, and Northumberland trying to put LJG on the throne.

Me too! That's reassuring! :smile:

Reply 856
Think it went ok. Needed a high B to get an A overall and I'm pretty sure I'll be a few marks off getting it :/

Did the detente question and think it went relatively ok as I did a detente practice question literally the day before so I could write about a lot of the factors. Forgot to talk about Ostpolitik and the situation in Europe though, and I don't think I went into as much detail as I could have cause I was under pressure.

End of the cold war question was alright. Sources were horrible imo, they all said so much and I think I ballsed up my structure but ohhh well. We'll see :/
Original post by 3ka_xo
i did this too! although i completely forgot the about the economic downturn it went something like this:
louis success in his reign
how louis undermined the principles of the restoration - concludes he did not leave a particularly favourable position
charles long term actions - his reign, ultras, opposition growing etc.
charles short term - 1830 actions
concluded that louis undermined the charter from the start leaving a weakened monarchy for charles and although charles' political ineptness was the direct cause (actions especially in 1830) the bourbons were undermined from the beginning so therefore not ONLY his political ineptness that led to downfall (that was the wording in the question)

does that sound about right? haha. threw in a few historians, quotes, stats and kept referring to the question throughout also!

Awh crap, your one sounds better than mine. I didn't even know any historians for that question or any of the long term causes. You will do great, don't worry about it :smile:
Reply 858
Original post by lilGem

It sounds fine! Yeah I had Hungarian Uprising too and stuff :smile: Yeah me too, I think I had all the correct points, just hoping my argument and structure was correct and stuff too, or not too messy!
Original post by BayBee323
i didn't mention the Austrian state treaty either! it wasn't an act of Eisenhower's so didn't feel it relevant. i mentioned it briefly, like name-dropped it, i said something like Eisenhower saw the end of the Korean war and that with the austrian state treaty saw a reduction of hostile areas therefore removing a point of confrontation

i totally didn't mention khruschev as a point of his own - only saying that Eisenhower was open to his peaceful coexistence

Wasn't the Austrian Treaty a four-way agreement though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending