The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

ADHD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OU Student
I don't have any of the top of my head. My sister who is a trainee psychologist even thinks it's a load of bull.

What is bull? ADHD or my substantiated opinion?

Original post by skarab
hi,

for starters I have ADHD, diagnosed with it when I was in primary school, misbehaved quite a bit, but didn't receive any special treatment or anything and did ok in my sats, when starting secondry school i started taking a low dose of ritalin concerter, this meant i could concentrate on my work better and i could see how i was behaving, which i never really noticed before. I started behaving as normal, at start of my GCSEs i decided i didn't want to take it any more, and to see if i was okay without it, i was, and it helped my confidence and i did well in my exams and went on to a-level and am now doing a physics degree, and although i have trouble concentrating on my work sometimes, but I'm doing okay, but it is a real thing. my ADHD, btw, isn't very severe.

Basically it mean i'm more prone to getting distracted by things than a normal person, and have trouble concentrating even when i want to.

Anyway, basically ADHD has been proved to be linked to certain genes and is cause by a lack of certain chemicals being produced in the brain, ritalin causes this chemical to be produced and hence allows your brain to function normally.

sorry for the long post :P

....but so do many many people who do not have ADHD. I know many people who have absolutely no self control and will always **** up with their work even when they know it is important.

But those genes able to be changed by outside stimuli, thus it is down to simple character and nurture rather than genetics and brain damage eg. psychopaths.
Haven't read the full thread but I'm more than 95% convinced I have ADHD, as are a few professionals who have worked with me before. I have a terrible attention span and will leap from one thing to another and am constantly feeling "busy", if I talk to people I can't simply listen as I'm so busy doing ten other things at the same time, analysing their hair, looks, voice, body language, what's in the room, what's outside, what's happening later.. I don't know how to sit still and not move - I'm always either jiggling my leg or biting my lip or nails, pulling my hair... But then I've got dyspraxia which is apparently closely related and it's difficult to tell what's what.

My sister's severely disabled - they used to think she had ADHD but it's obvious now that she has a lot more problems!

I must say I've never used either as an excuse to misbehave, I was a prefect at school, did extra lessons to help with younger classes and am two years into a degree..
Original post by scottkincaid

but it's the basic principle that none of them try.

I'm sorry but, do you know every person with dyslexia? You can't make sweeping generalisations like that.
I don't mean to offend anybody with ADHD or anybody that knows somebody with ADHD. I have a friend that has it too.

I honestly think that it is a lot of nonsense. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Somebody with ADHD can spit in a teachers face and get away with it and called 'brave' and receive a new gaming console or something. If somebody like you or me did it we'd probably be kicked out of education personally.

I just think that it's an awful reason for parents to justify why their child/children are misbehaving.

I would say that it's a little bit too far to call it a disability.

What are your thoughts on this?

While I do agree with you when you say that a lot of people use ADHD as an excuse for bad behavior, just because something has a bad reputation doesn't take the status away from it. I mean, I don't have ADHD, but rather I have dyspraxia and Asperger's, which also have positive and negative connotations attached to them. For example, people always assume that I'm like Christopher Boone. I'm not. I mean, I'm not a clumsy female version of Rainman or Sheldon Cooper, but neither am I an elegant social butterfly rollerblading down the street. Besides, heaven knows that if I even tried rollerblading, it'd end in disaster.

But in any case, just like Asperger's and dyspraxia, ADHD is a disability. Just because there happens to be a load of pillocks who think they can do whatever they want in class "because I have ADHD, hah hah!" doesn't mean that there are decent human beings out there suffering from it. In my eyes, being disabled means being challenged by things that most people would find easy... so yes. I believe ADHD is a disability. Others may believe differently, but that's what I think.

I do get how you feel though. It's not fair. :frown:
Original post by Jimbo1234
Sadly it seems that mature discussion is too much for some people in this thread :facepalm2: The thing is that there is no conclusive evidence for ADHD besides a very vague check list of how a badly behaved child acts. Unlike a psychopath, it is unknown how much is physical, and how much is nurture. As many new studies show that as outside stimulus, eg a good smack, can cause change, that ADHD is most likely nurture thus is just a medical diagnosis of bad behaviour.

Yet I was not the one who resorted to ad hominem attacks and confused debating with insulting the other person.
And as I said in my first post, I have dealt and managed to magically cure ADHD. As shown above, I do know a fair bit about it and have done my research. Have you? Thought not :giggle:

If you think providing one link to a study is knowing how to research, good luck with university if you're planning on going, that's all I can say.People like you like to think you have an answer for everything, and bless, you know a Latin phrase that you like to repeat, good for you! The diagnosis for ADHD can be abused, yes, but that doesn't mean to say it doesn't exist; just because you cannot see the illness doesn't mean it isn't there.

The boldened part highlights why I think you're uneducated and uninformed by the way; hitting children might make them behave in the short term but I don't want my children resenting me in the future (ADHD diagnosis or not) thank you very much. I also fail to see where that study you've linked says that an outside stimulus such as hitting a child would do good, you probably made that up. It's also funny you think hitting a child is the magic cure when the study you've linked clearly explains that ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder (look it up).

I'm going to leave it now, you like to think you're right about everything and that's fine, just don't expect people not to laugh at you.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't mean to offend anybody with ADHD or anybody that knows somebody with ADHD. I have a friend that has it too.

I honestly think that it is a lot of nonsense. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Somebody with ADHD can spit in a teachers face and get away with it and called 'brave' and receive a new gaming console or something. If somebody like you or me did it we'd probably be kicked out of education personally.

I just think that it's an awful reason for parents to justify why their child/children are misbehaving.

I would say that it's a little bit too far to call it a disability.

What are your thoughts on this?

I don't know if ADHD exists or not. I saw a video (about education) that suggests it doesn't. Also the narrator said that he is unqualified to say if it exists or not but I thought his theory was quite interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U&feature=relmfu
Reply 106
Adhd isnt necessarily about being naughty its the lack of concentration and hyperactiveness.

I was diagnosed alot later in my school life, my school reports even from primary school always said i was distracted could do better in class and could be quite boisterous

having someone diagnose the condition and being put on medication and being given alot of support and help has been so benefical and i feel like ive done so well. I was diagnosed before my gcses and wish someone would of noticed sooner

There is a general amount of sterotypes with ADHD and thats why i choose not always to mention it to friends and family. Not all kids are bad kids, i never hurt or even damaged anyone because of it. I was just particularly cheeky and often got found my self in trouble because kids with adhd act irrationally and dont fully think about consequences or action.

Adhd is something that you can grow out of admittingly but just because it cannot be proved scientifically through a brain scan or like a blood test does not mean that its not a legitimate condition!
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
If you think providing one link to a study is knowing how to research, good luck with university if you're planning on going, that's all I can say.People like you like to think you have an answer for everything, and bless, you know a Latin phrase that you like to repeat, good for you! The diagnosis for ADHD can be abused, yes, but that doesn't mean to say it doesn't exist; just because you cannot see the illness doesn't mean it isn't there.

The boldened part highlights why I think you're uneducated and uninformed by the way; hitting children might make them behave in the short term but I don't want my children resenting me in the future (ADHD diagnosis or not) thank you very much. I also fail to see where that study you've linked says that an outside stimulus such as hitting a child would do good, you probably made that up. It's also funny you think hitting a child is the magic cure when the study you've linked clearly explains that ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder (look it up).

I'm going to leave it now, you like to think you're right about everything and that's fine, just don't expect people not to laugh at you.

Oh look, no sources from you. Why am I not surprised at another person pretending that their opinion is fact.

I have already told you that many kids who are rarely hit by their parents when they are misbehaving so not resent their parents, but yet again you convinced ignores this point.
It is also hilarious how you clearly going to end up being one of these modern mothers who is too afraid to punish their child as you fear that they will not love you.

Now go do some research into how the brain works and realise that the brain is able to adapt (even though this is stated in my source, yet again you missed it), rather than stating unsubstantiated opinion as fact.

Original post by unoh
Adhd isnt necessarily about being naughty its the lack of concentration and hyperactiveness.

I was diagnosed alot later in my school life, my school reports even from primary school always said i was distracted could do better in class and could be quite boisterous

having someone diagnose the condition and being put on medication and being given alot of support and help has been so benefical and i feel like ive done so well. I was diagnosed before my gcses and wish someone would of noticed sooner

There is a general amount of sterotypes with ADHD and thats why i choose not always to mention it to friends and family. Not all kids are bad kids, i never hurt or even damaged anyone because of it. I was just particularly cheeky and often got found my self in trouble because kids with adhd act irrationally and dont fully think about consequences or action.

Adhd is something that you can grow out of admittingly but just because it cannot be proved scientifically through a brain scan or like a blood test does not mean that its not a legitimate condition!

Just like many children and that they simply improved over time due to strict discipline and maturity rather than being given a label and drugs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Oh look, no sources from you. Why am I not surprised at another person pretending that their opinion is fact.

I have already told you that many kids who are rarely hit by their parents when they are misbehaving so not resent their parents, but yet again you convinced ignores this point.
It is also hilarious how you clearly going to end up being one of these modern mothers who is too afraid to punish their child as you fear that they will not love you.

Now go do some research into how the brain works and realise that the brain is able to adapt (even though this is stated in my source, yet again you missed it), rather than stating unsubstantiated opinion as fact.

I'm using the study you quoted and pointing out the facts from that. I have access to the full study and skim-read it, and there is no evidence that "a good smack" would be beneficial to a neurodevelopmental disorder.

I'm not afraid to punish my children out of fear they will hate me, I was hit as a child and it did not work, so why would I repeat this negative behaviour when there are much better ways of doing it? It's not a matter of fear of reprisals, it's simply having the skills to control behaviour without inflicting harm. Again, you're making silly assumptions about me when you have no idea. You sound just like a Daily Mail reporter, stating opinions as fact and quoting sources without understanding them.

The brain is able to adapt, but how is hitting a child going to do this? Medication and/or therapy would be more appropriate. I get the feeling all you've done is skim read the abstract of the study and not logged in to read it properly before citing it.

[h="2"]2. Overview of evidence-based treatments for ADHD[/h]Pharmacological interventions, most prominently stimulant medication, and behavioral interventions in the forms of parent training and contingency management in the classroom, are considered the best-supported treatments for ADHD.

Where in that piece of text does it suggest anywhere that hitting a child is the right thing to do?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 109

Just like many children and that they simply improved over time due to strict discipline and maturity rather than being given a label and drugs.

Im not sure what you're trying to say, I had discipline at home and throughout my school life. Ive had the same if not more discipline then my brother and he doesn't suffer with adhd. If you blame this on parenting and education then my brothers and myself would all suffer. We went to the same primary school same parents but different secondary schools.

Its hard for you to criticise when you dont suffer, the physical change in myself and my grades is enough to prove that with help that I can have the same results as everyone else.

Additionally it also has nothing to do with state or public schools either. Although in private schools it seems that parents are more willing to pay for psychologists and tests but I was diagnosed with my condition under the NHS and attended a local disability clinic.
Reply 110
Exactly. I find it ridiculous.

I think that it just sets kids up for a self fulfilling prophecy. I have noticed that a huge majority of people with ADHD have parents on benefits. Is this because they get more money?

I think it just sets the tone that messing about is okay as long as you have a reason to justify it. If I were them I'd take school more seriously.

sweeping and outrageous statement
Original post by unoh
Im not sure what you're trying to say, I had discipline at home and throughout my school life. Ive had the same if not more discipline then my brother and he doesn't suffer with adhd. If you blame this on parenting and education then my brothers and myself would all suffer. We went to the same primary school same parents but different secondary schools.

I don't see how you jumped to those conclusions. I know many families where one child is smart and the other is stupid, one is good looking and one is not etc. People vary. Some might need more discipline than others.

Its hard for you to criticise when you dont suffer, the physical change in myself and my grades is enough to prove that with help that I can have the same results as everyone else.

...as in the same "help" a child received when they were badly behaved and were disciplined? As I said, I know many people with problems concentrating and it is all to do with self control, not some inherent brain defect.

Additionally it also has nothing to do with state or public schools either. Although in private schools it seems that parents are more willing to pay for psychologists and tests but I was diagnosed with my condition under the NHS and attended a local disability clinic.

Well of course rich parents are happy to spend more money.
So what did you do at this disability clinic?
Reply 112
I don't see how you jumped to those conclusions. I know many families where one child is smart and the other is stupid, one is good looking and one is not etc. People vary. Some might need more discipline than others.

...as in the same "help" a child received when they were badly behaved and were disciplined? As I said, I know many people with problems concentrating and it is all to do with self control, not some inherent brain defect.

Well of course rich parents are happy to spend more money.
So what did you do at this disability clinic?

i think you are being quite insensitive!
my dad is heavily dyslexic and when he was at school he was often called naughty or lazy because no one really understood.

narrow minded people like yourself do not help the issue but infact make it worse by trying to mask disabilities and disregard them, even though you have no right too!
Original post by unoh
i think you are being quite insensitive!
my dad is heavily dyslexic and when he was at school he was often called naughty or lazy because no one really understood.

narrow minded people like yourself do not help the issue but infact make it worse by trying to mask disabilities and disregard them, even though you have no right too!

Or I know many people who are dyslexic and have done perfectly well even though they only get diagnosed during uni thus those who misbehave are using their condition as an excuse.
Reply 114
Or I know many people who are dyslexic and have done perfectly well even though they only get diagnosed during uni thus those who misbehave are using their condition as an excuse.

the fundamental basis of your argument is probably on two or three of your class mates. Sweeping generalisation. No evidence.
With all conditions that are diagnosed based on characteristics, such as ADHD, I wonder whether our society is beginning to over-medicalise normal personality traits.

My cousin has ADHD. We're practically the same age, so spent lots of time together growing up, and I think if she was more strongly told off when she was naughty then she wouldn't have this diagnosis now.

Im really lazy when it comes to getting started on an essay - do I have a medical condition or is it just a character trait of mine? My sister is quite moody - should she be diagnosed with something? My dad always had quite a bad temper - is that a medical condition?

My point is that when things aren't measurable in numbers, when do normal variations in personality become symptoms of a condition, and who decides?

I know my cousin wishes she was never diagnosed as even though the tablets help she would rather pass her "symptoms" off as her personality, eg. By saying, "oh, I'm so bad at concentrating".
Original post by unoh
the fundamental basis of your argument is probably on two or three of your class mates. Sweeping generalisation. No evidence.

...and yours is your dad :s-smilie: I don't think you have any grounds to be criticising anecdotal evidence, unless of course you have some sources to back up your claims.
I wonder when being normal (whatever that is) will appear in the dsm / icd...
Reply 118
...and yours is your dad :s-smilie: I don't think you have any grounds to be criticising anecdotal evidence, unless of course you have some sources to back up your claims.

I mentioned my dad because I wanted to highlight how peoples attitudes towards learning disabilities have changed!! hes nearly 50 and he cant spell anything... if his dyslexia was actually naughtiness or laziness when he was younger then by the time he was 50 he would of grown out of it/learnt it. but he hasnt, and thats not because hes dumb. He has his own business and im fortunate to live a comfortable lifestyle.

it doesnt really matter.. im on medication.. im doing well and im happy.
if i didnt need it, if adhd wasnt a real issue then i wouldn't be on a controlled class A drug, as it wouldnt exist. but it does.

i love ritalin, i love being able to concentrate and most of all i love how all these spiteful words are probably words of jealousy!

enjoy your restless long study revision periods think of me as switched on as a lightbulb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Reply 119
Original post by clarusblue
With all conditions that are diagnosed based on characteristics, such as ADHD, I wonder whether our society is beginning to over-medicalise normal personality traits.

You had better believe it, try these on for size (below).

Im really lazy when it comes to getting started on an essay - do I have a medical condition or is it just a character trait of mine?

Yes, you have Sluggish Cognitive Tempo Disorder (SCTD), which will be introduced in the DSM V.

My sister is quite moody - should she be diagnosed with something?

Certainly, she has a Depressive Disorder of some type - probably Recurrent Brief Depression (RBD) or a Depressive Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (DDNOS)

My dad always had quite a bad temper - is that a medical condition?

Of course! Let's hope he doesn't isn't Bipolar, but it's more likely that he has Temper Dysregulation Disorder which again will be introduced in the DSM V.

Aren't you glad now that you asked? We can diagnose almost anything and everything with a Disorder with some name attached to it... what a fantastic world we must now live in!
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending