The Student Room Group

Maastricht Applicants 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LPickering
Oh wow so Maastricht will be all new to you then!
I'm gonna have to look again at trains from Brussels then :rolleyes:, 1hr 15mins would be great in comparison to the bloody 2 1/2 hours spent on the train last time. When I was looking at the trains when we were booking flights for the open day the shortest time I could find was 2 hours from Brussels to Maastricht, with 2 changes. I'll be doing yet more train research ...it's times like this when I wish I was a train buff unfortunately I find them really boring!

Yup yup, i hope it will be like a present (Maastricht i mean)
When you went there how did you find it? Was it really small/cozy, i dunno why but that's how i imagine it :smile: Ohhh what are the shops like, is there a holland equivalent of Superdrug and do they have baked beans.....it's like my life food so i have to ask :smile:
Really 2 hours, hmm maybe it's the time your traveling?...is it 2hrs for flying all the way or for taking the plane to Brussels and then a train to Maastricht?
Hehe train research does sound pretty boring....i've still gotta do mine along with plane research and accommodation research :tongue:
Original post by JordanUK
What do people think between Maastricht and Utrecht?

I'd say Maastricht (but I'm a little biased cuz im going there :tongue:) i know someone who is going to Utrecht they are really excited and the uni is surposed to be really good, but really depends on what course your doing :smile:
Oh and
Maastricht=closer to Brussels
Utrect=closer to amsterdam
Dunno if that helps though....:redface:
Original post by jhenryg
I'm gunna get the weekend one cause that's when I'll be travelling and it's so easy to get around Maastricht anyway during the week

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

How big is Maastricht, cuz i googled it and found it had districts, but still not sure if that means it's bigger than I'm thinking. :smile: Like as big as Devon maybe?

Yeaaaaaa finished all A-level exams....it's weird, cuz i still feel like i should be revising. Now to begin the painful process of waiting for the results :eek:
Reply 543
Original post by Pineappledogs
Heheh, yea it's a bit of an addiction. I hope you'll be glad to know that last night i revised and missed the walking dead....and all for the sake of my Geography A-level :smile:

Heheeehee that whole scenario made me lol. I vote clean it up, even though you might come into contact with another persons pee at least your housemates won't have to wonder about your, ahem....accuracy. Either that or come out saying, 'where's (insert name) he has to come and clean up what he's done' or '(insert name) what happened in there' I'm sure either of those would shift the blame away from you if you choose to leave it :wink:

Ahhhh i love the snow sooo much, when i was living in Canada the first day of this massive snowstorm we had to walk to school (dunno why it was open....) i just remember walking past loads of snowmen and giant icicles....was so pretty :tongue:

Hehe Rap sounds soooo good in Russian, it's so flowy, in-fact Rap sounds really good in general in different languages i dunno what it is, maybe the words just link differently? :biggrin:

How did your Geography go?

Yeah cleaning it up would be the easiest option but if it kept on happening I would get sick of it :P

Can't have snow closures in Canada they would never be at school :redface: Don't some Canadians ski to school? I like snow too but there has to be a lot of it. If there is just a little bit of snow it's just annoying :P.
Reply 544
How big is Maastricht, cuz i googled it and found it had districts, but still not sure if that means it's bigger than I'm thinking. :smile: Like as big as Devon maybe?

Yeaaaaaa finished all A-level exams....it's weird, cuz i still feel like i should be revising. Now to begin the painful process of waiting for the results :eek:

Ahahah not quite as big as Devon, Maastricht is small, more like a large sized town.... The Netherlands is smaller than the UK :smile:

Original post by shrug
How did your Geography go?

Yeah cleaning it up would be the easiest option but if it kept on happening I would get sick of it :P

Can't have snow closures in Canada they would never be at school :redface: Don't some Canadians ski to school? I like snow too but there has to be a lot of it. If there is just a little bit of snow it's just annoying :P.

Hmm, im gonna say it went OK, only because i don't wanna ginx it.....but i almost didn't finish, there were like 8 minutes left and i still hadn't done the evaluation at least i did a bit of evaluating all through the essay but im not sure if it was enough to get the 12 marks but fir the other sections i wrote sooo so much, im hoping it balances out cuz i only need a C to get an A overall :smile:

How have your exams gone so far?

God, if that kept happening, i think i'd consider moving or calling a meeting

Hehee, it did snow a looot there, none that i knew skipped school but there was this really weird kid who said that his uncle illegally let him drive his tanker truck across ice roads....i was young enough to believe him and be impressed :biggrin:

I love how in the UK a couple centimeters of snow can cause salt shortages, citywide transport problems and school cancellations. :smile:
Omg really, it's smaller?? *goes to google
Ok yep it's smaller.....aww i really want to see how all of the students i saw on the INKOM videos can fit into this wee town.
I think we are driving over now, i told my mom about the tunnel.....:smile:
Reply 547
Hmm, im gonna say it went OK, only because i don't wanna ginx it.....but i almost didn't finish, there were like 8 minutes left and i still hadn't done the evaluation at least i did a bit of evaluating all through the essay but im not sure if it was enough to get the 12 marks but fir the other sections i wrote sooo so much, im hoping it balances out cuz i only need a C to get an A overall :smile:

How have your exams gone so far?

God, if that kept happening, i think i'd consider moving or calling a meeting

Hehee, it did snow a looot there, none that i knew skipped school but there was this really weird kid who said that his uncle illegally let him drive his tanker truck across ice roads....i was young enough to believe him and be impressed :biggrin:

I love how in the UK a couple centimeters of snow can cause salt shortages, citywide transport problems and school cancellations. :smile:

Hope it all goes well for you. I've not had any exams :smile: I took a year out.

:redface: not a meeting. Think I would just move :P Or put up a sign....

Nice. Don't know if it's true or not. But a tanker truck sounds pretty cool.

Yeah, there is a school near me that literally closes if there is a snow shower the night before. The transport problems are mainly due to the fact that most people don't buy snow tyres for their cars. In countries with lots of snow use snow tyres.
Original post by shrug
Hope it all goes well for you. I've not had any exams :smile: I took a year out.

:redface: not a meeting. Think I would just move :P Or put up a sign....

Nice. Don't know if it's true or not. But a tanker truck sounds pretty cool.

Yeah, there is a school near me that literally closes if there is a snow shower the night before. The transport problems are mainly due to the fact that most people don't buy snow tyres for their cars. In countries with lots of snow use snow tyres.

I hope so too. What did you do in your gap year? (if you don't mind me asking :P)

I was considering taking one, but my mom would never let me. and i really don't know what i'd do if i did take a year out.....probably rest and sleep. Did you apply to UK uni's aswell then? I applied to Exeter and newcastle as back-ups, and im defering the year to 2013 (if i get in for them) just in-case i don't like the MSC course.

Really, snow tyres...wow there is so so much i just don't know. I think we should have snow ploughs here, they are just such cool big machines and they always woke me up for school on time. :smile:
Yup yup, i hope it will be like a present (Maastricht i mean)
When you went there how did you find it? Was it really small/cozy, i dunno why but that's how i imagine it :smile: Ohhh what are the shops like, is there a holland equivalent of Superdrug and do they have baked beans.....it's like my life food so i have to ask :smile:
Really 2 hours, hmm maybe it's the time your traveling?...is it 2hrs for flying all the way or for taking the plane to Brussels and then a train to Maastricht?
Hehe train research does sound pretty boring....i've still gotta do mine along with plane research and accommodation research :tongue:

It's a big town bordering on a small city, think there is a population of around 120,000. I only really saw the centre where the streets are cobbled & really narrow at times ...the only danger is being run over by bikes! But it didn't feel too big as I thought it might have (I'm only from a town of 20,000 so to me Maastricht obviously sounds pretty huge in comparison), but most families live in the suburbs then venture to the centre at weekends it seemed. There's shops galore in the centre so shopping wise you'll be set(Y) ...and I'm sure I saw some baked beans in the food shop, but I would take some over with you just to be safe (I'm gonna take some English food over which I don't think will be over there, I'm sure you won't be the only one :smile:).

No 2hrs is just the train :/ unfortunately. The flight is usually 1hr to either Brussels or Amsterdam. Brussels to Maastricht is 3 trains taking 2hrs (from what I know atm). Amsterdam to Maastricht is 2 trains taking 2 1/2hrs.
Reply 550
I hope so too. What did you do in your gap year? (if you don't mind me asking :P)

I was considering taking one, but my mom would never let me. and i really don't know what i'd do if i did take a year out.....probably rest and sleep. Did you apply to UK uni's aswell then? I applied to Exeter and newcastle as back-ups, and im defering the year to 2013 (if i get in for them) just in-case i don't like the MSC course.

Really, snow tyres...wow there is so so much i just don't know. I think we should have snow ploughs here, they are just such cool big machines and they always woke me up for school on time. :smile:

Well I say a gap year...I applied to uni last year and decided that I would rather go and study abroad (Holland) as I had visited Amsterdam in the summer. So I did a college course instead during my year off. Just to add something in a personal statement to show the unis that I hadn't spent a year in bed watching the walking dead :wink:.

Good idea. Although I have a feeling Maastricht is going to be pretty good :biggrin: You mentioned Inkom. Have you got your ticket (:s-smilie:) yet? Think someone mentioned ticket before lol. Glad this thread is here to keep me on the right track.

They even have all weather tyres :P.
Original post by shrug
I'm doing European Law.

I think I'll stick to Amsterdam airport too it seems like less hassle and less time waiting between trains. I'm in the same Boat as pineapple: I've never been to Maastricht. I was hoping to go before I go on holiday but I don't think that will happen :frown:.

Same. They're really helpful at the ticket desks too & will print out train connection times for you, & other people on the train will help you figure out when your stop is ...basically the opposite of travelling via train in the UK. If you do travel to Amsterdam the change can be at either Utrecht or Amsterdam centraal, in my experience Utrecht was definitely easier; less busy & the other platform is closer :smile:.
Reply 552
I'll be taking the Utrecht route I think.

What British food will you be taking over? IME most places abroad that get regular British tourists will have baked beans. Did you see HP sauce or IRN BRU? I'll definitely be taking IRN BRU with me :tongue:. It's weird whenever I go abroad and there is British stuff in the supermarket I usually buy it even if I wouldn't normally eat it back home.
Original post by shrug

What British food will you be taking over? IME most places abroad that get regular British tourists will have baked beans. Did you see HP sauce or IRN BRU? I'll definitely be taking IRN BRU with me :tongue:. It's weird whenever I go abroad and there is British stuff in the supermarket I usually buy it even if I wouldn't normally eat it back home.

Don't think I did actually :s-smilie: they surely have to have some HP somewhere though ...hopefully. Don't think I saw any Irn Bru either! ...your case is gonna be stocked :biggrin:

I'm gonna have to sit down before I go & properly think, I'll end up getting my parents to send me stuff haha. Yorkshire tea or PG tips tea bags are a definite, the tea bags over there are really weak & s*** ...in cafes you have to ask for milk because the tea is usually drank without it, I can't be doing with that. I'll be bulk buying biscuits & Mr Kipling cakes though ...I have too much of a sweet tooth to not have any of them!
Reply 554
Original post by shrug

Hp sauce is an absolute great shout!

Reply 555
Don't think I did actually :s-smilie: they surely have to have some HP somewhere though ...hopefully. Don't think I saw any Irn Bru either! ...your case is gonna be stocked :biggrin:

I'm gonna have to sit down before I go & properly think, I'll end up getting my parents to send me stuff haha. Yorkshire tea or PG tips tea bags are a definite, the tea bags over there are really weak & s*** ...in cafes you have to ask for milk because the tea is usually drank without it, I can't be doing with that. I'll be bulk buying biscuits & Mr Kipling cakes though ...I have too much of a sweet tooth to not have any of them!

My mum said she's going to be sending me care packages of English food! (Y)

Reply 556
Does anyone have an idea on when UM sends out bill for the tuition fee?
Reply 557
Exams, Done! Finally haha

Reply 558
Original post by chrizzy92
Does anyone have an idea on when UM sends out bill for the tuition fee?

Not sure I always assumed that they emailed you the information on how to pay. So I'm still waiting on this email which might never come :P.

I am probably wrong, but are you doing European Law?
Reply 559

:redface: I'll have to get little sachets of HP sauce and sell them to the other Brits. Maybe a shop could get some British food in for us. If we bombard them with requests I'm sure they would import it for us as they would see a market for it :wink:.

Oh dear we will have to teach them how to make tea. My cups usually have more milk than tea in them though....

What Mr Kipling cakes would you take? :P Think I will take custard creams and chocolate digestives.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending