The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by youareinvited
Hey, I'm also a Sheffield pro (going into third year when we get back uuuuughhh) so I guess I can answer any questions you have too!

I was in Endcliffe and I got really unlucky with my flat, I was in an all-male 6 person flat with only four people, two of whom were foreign students (from Nigeria and Malaysia, both were Muslim... as interesting and great as they were, they're not the sort of people who want to go out with you 3 or 4 nights a week!) and one who was a PhD student. I made really good friends with the flats next door and above and had an amazing time in my first two years, so even if worst comes to worst you'll be fine!

Sheffield's nightlife is fantastic. It's not like Manchester or Leeds, a massive sprawl of super expensive and super busy places, but there are loads of places to go (Leadmill, Plug, the Academy, Carver Street, Corp, Replica, DQ, every bar down West Street... probs give Embrace a miss though :wink:), all of which have amazingly cheap student nights... you won't get bored here. I've got mates in pretty much every major 'night out' city across the country and I haven't visited one with a better atmosphere (or cheaper drinks) than Sheffield. The nights at the union are ok, but don't get into the routine of going there every time you go out - there's so much more to town than the union!

And don't worry about 'not being clever enough' or anything... there's alot of Oxbridge rejects and snobs who think they're well above little old Sheffield uni, and just as many who you'll see in exams who you've never seen turn up for lectures before who scrape through every semester! The lecturers are generally great and everyone knows they're in the same boat so don't worry and work yourself into the ground - it's your first year at uni and you only need 40% to pass, so no panicking! As long as you vaguely keep up with your reading and hand everything in on time, it's super easy to stay afloat... compared to A level, first year uni workload is nothing.

Other than that I do English and play football and all that stuff, so feel free to ask me stuff! :smile:

Ben x

Hey Ben!
You mentioned about playing football, is it easy to get into sport at Sheffield? And is it super competitive, or do they welcome people of all abilities?
I'm thinking of doing Netball and Larosse :smile: :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Deee
Hey Ben!
You mentioned about playing football, is it easy to get into sport at Sheffield? And is it super competitive, or do they welcome people of all abilities?
I'm thinking of doing Netball and Larosse :smile: :smile:

Yeah, it's super easy! I spent the whole of first year doing nothing because I didn't want to go to trials and stuff on my own, and really regret it now because sport at Sheffield is amazing. There are uni netball and lacrosse teams (I don't know how many of each, I'm assuming there's four or so netball teams and one or two for lacrosse) and intramural netball is a really big thing too, so your society will have at least one netball team for you and people on your course :smile:

In terms of competitiveness, the uni teams are obviously quite competitive - they're a big source of funding for the university I think, so they want them to be as successful as possible. It's worth trying out for the uni teams if you want to play at the best standard you can, but if not, the intramural teams are more relaxed and welcome all abilities!

Definitely try and get involved in sport as early as possible would be my suggestion - you meet so many like-minded people and do a tonne of different things like sports team nights out which keep your uni life more varied than just spending all your time with your 6 or 10 flatmates :smile:
Do you know Opal 2 B09 is on which floor?
Reply 703
Original post by agatha8623
Do you know Opal 2 B09 is on which floor?

I am afraid I don't, sorry. The system which Opal uses is different from Endcliffe and Ranmoor. Whilst they use the "Derwent C2 room 1" - Derwent is the block name, C is the block, 2 is the floor, 1 is the room.
I am guessing Opal does this but uses Opal 2 as the name and block, B is the first floor (maybe) and 9 is the flat? I think. It's an educated guess.
Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 704
Original post by lizolove
I am afraid I don't, sorry. The system which Opal uses is different from Endcliffe and Ranmoor. Whilst they use the "Derwent C2 room 1" - Derwent is the block name, C is the block, 2 is the floor, 1 is the room.
I am guessing Opal does this but uses Opal 2 as the name and block, B is the first floor (maybe) and 9 is the flat? I think. It's an educated guess.
Hope this helps. :smile:

It's still the block. My boyfriend lived there during his first year & he was in F21 I think. The numbers do correspond to the flat because there's no distinction between floors, so the letters are still the blocks! :smile:
Reply 705
Original post by youareinvited
Yeah, it's super easy! I spent the whole of first year doing nothing because I didn't want to go to trials and stuff on my own, and really regret it now because sport at Sheffield is amazing. There are uni netball and lacrosse teams (I don't know how many of each, I'm assuming there's four or so netball teams and one or two for lacrosse) and intramural netball is a really big thing too, so your society will have at least one netball team for you and people on your course :smile:

In terms of competitiveness, the uni teams are obviously quite competitive - they're a big source of funding for the university I think, so they want them to be as successful as possible. It's worth trying out for the uni teams if you want to play at the best standard you can, but if not, the intramural teams are more relaxed and welcome all abilities!

Definitely try and get involved in sport as early as possible would be my suggestion - you meet so many like-minded people and do a tonne of different things like sports team nights out which keep your uni life more varied than just spending all your time with your 6 or 10 flatmates :smile:

Sounds perfect! Haven't played since GCSE but reckon I can pick it up pretty quickly, haha! Thanks for the advice, definitely going to join everything I can I think :smile: :smile:
Reply 706
Hi! I'm starting Sheffield in September, and I was just wondering for the events that are on in Freshers Week do you have to buy tickets in advance, or can you just turn up at the Union and pay at the door to get in a club.

Thanks
Reply 707
Original post by SCheng
Hi! I'm starting Sheffield in September, and I was just wondering for the events that are on in Freshers Week do you have to buy tickets in advance, or can you just turn up at the Union and pay at the door to get in a club.

Thanks

You are meant to buy them in advance (I think they sell out - hence why you can't pay on the door), but I'd recommend seeing what your flatmates are doing before you invest in anything. :smile:
Reply 708
Original post by Deee
Sounds perfect! Haven't played since GCSE but reckon I can pick it up pretty quickly, haha! Thanks for the advice, definitely going to join everything I can I think :smile: :smile:

I'm in the same boat as you :smile: love sports But haven't played since GCSEs! Also thinking of joining the netball team and hope I pick it up quick enough to try for the uni teams :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 709
Original post by charming7
I'm in the same boat as you :smile: love sports But haven't played since GCSEs! Also thinking of joining the netball team and hope I pick it up quick enough to try for the uni teams :smile:

There are 'amateur' clubs too. E.g. Netball for anyone is on Friday's at 4pm.
Not all sports are in teams, but then there are also teams for netball.
:smile:
Reply 710
Reading your thread title, I miss being a fresher. :sad:

@lizo, BRING ON YEAR TWO!!! :five:
Reply 711
Original post by Vulpes
Reading your thread title, I miss being a fresher. :sad:

@lizo, BRING ON YEAR TWO!!! :five:

Being a second year will just be the same as being a fresher... minus the lack of work. (':
I am eager to get back into a routine, I sleep most of my days away now. Haha.
I know I'll just want to do nothing as soon as I get back to uni though. Never ending circle! ):
Reply 712
Original post by lizolove
Being a second year will just be the same as being a fresher... minus the lack of work. (':
I am eager to get back into a routine, I sleep most of my days away now. Haha.
I know I'll just want to do nothing as soon as I get back to uni though. Never ending circle! ):

I didn't find 2nd year as good as being a Fresher.

I'm dreading going into 3rd year, for the simple fact I feel so old. :ahee:
Reply 713
Original post by Dorito
I didn't find 2nd year as good as being a Fresher.

I'm dreading going into 3rd year, for the simple fact I feel so old. :ahee:

Maybe it's not then. Should be better for me though, I went out once in Freshers, as I had no student loan. (Long story!).
Sob.
Second year though!

Third year! I know. I feel old going into my second year. Literally feels like yesterday I was in sixth form. The last year has gone by so quickly, it scares me. ):
Reply 714
Unirider bus/tram ticket - would you recommend it?
Reply 715
Original post by jhold

I don't use the bus or tram often enough for it to really make a difference. If you're only going to use the tram to go to Meadowhall or Hillsborough it's probably not worth it. Especially as you can get a 60p bus to Hillsborough anyway :smile:, for me I just wouldn't do it.

Buses are 60p on most student routes & people don't really use the tram enough for it to be worth it (tram is like £1.50?)
Reply 716
Original post by jhold

No. Depending on where you live though, you may find it useful.
Most places are within walking distance, even the city centre, so you often don't even need a bus. As a student, buses are 60p, so it's cheaper to get them than the tram. You won't get your money's worth I don't think.
Trams are about £1.90, and £3.70 there and back from Meadowhall. The only reason I'd buy a tram pass would be if I had a job there personally, otherwise, it's a waste. The tram basically does a similar route to the bus, so you may as well stick to the bus. Also, the train is £2 (without a railcard) to Meadowhall, so significantly cheaper than the tram.

Hope this helps.
Original post by SCheng
Hi :smile: I'm starting this year and studying English and Philosophy, and i've had a look at the reading list. Would you advise to read all of the novels before I start, or just read the first one which i'm studying.
It says on the pdf file on the website that I should read Middlemarch, which just looks incredibly long haha. It'll take me ages to read.
Also with the books you have to purchase, it doesn't really matter which edition you get does it?

I'm doing English Literature this year so we probably do a lot of the same modules! :smile: where did you find the reading list for the course by the way? :smile:

Hi i'm sorry if someone has already asked the question but i dont have time to trawl through all of the previous posts.

I'm starting in September and I know a couple of people i have met that will be in my flat and they are buying the 2 week freshers ticket which is £40. From past experience would you recommend that this is a good idea? as i'm worried that if i don't get it i will miss out on the events if they become sold out but i don't want to spend £40 on a ticket that i will not make good use of.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 719
Original post by ellie.flowers
Hi i'm sorry if someone has already asked the question but i dont have time to trawl through all of the previous posts.

I'm starting in September and I know a couple of people i have met that will be in my flat and they are buying the 2 week freshers ticket which is £40. From past experience would you recommend that this is a good idea? as i'm worried that if i don't get it i will miss out on the events if they become sold out but i don't want to spend £40 on a ticket that i will not make good use of.

Thanks in advance :smile:

My flatmates and I left it, until we all met up. If they have bought them, then it's up to you. The events are good apparently, but some aren't. Unsure whether it is worth £40, but if your flatmates are, you should consider it. They do sell out quickly. Hope this helps. :smile:

Although I doubt that they will sell out before Freshers starts, so you'll probably be able to get some after you move in.

Latest

Trending

Trending