The Student Room Group

Obama and Romney spar over the economy

Smooth-talking, charming and appealing to those who are content with empty rhetoric and are swayed more so by charisma and his mystique rather than the mans substance. And this man has no real substance. That's right, i am talking about the one and only Barrack Obama. Obama appeared in Iowa and new Hampshire the day after his party convention, as did Romney, and conceded that unemployment figures were " not good enough" after statistics from the Bureau of Labor showed 96,000 jobs were added in August, fewer than expected. What has Obama done in these last 4 years?

" The president said that by this time we would be at 5.4% unemployment. Instead we're at about 8%. Had his policies worked as he thought they would there would be nine million more Americans working" Mr Romney said at a campaign rally.

Now whilst it's unfair to completely bash Obama over the economy, as he did inherit office at one of the worst economic times for any president, he has had 4 years to sort it out ( not fix it, but go in the right direction) which is what he has failed to do. The debt of each american to pay off the deficit has increased exponentially under Obama, The Deficit has increased tremendously too and the stimulus was an all-mighty cock up.

The key for Romney winning this election is the economy, the economy and the economy. Did i mention the economy? Because Romney cannot fire up a crowd on empty promises like Obama, but Obama cant ignore, and neither can the american people, the fact the Obama has not helped but hindered the economy. With polls showing both men neck to neck, i honestly believe this is key.
Reply 1
Obama did fixed the economy. GDP is at pre-crisis levels. Unemployment is falling, although economy in Europe is still depressed.

Debt is not bad when you have your own currency. It's the tea baggers rhetoric about newly born babies inheriting big debt. And since you mention Romney and Debt in same sentence - do you think Romney will solve debt problem? By making cuts tax cuts for millionaires in 4-5 trillions and spending cuts for poor in 1-2 trillions. Yeah, Romney knows how to fix...
Reply 2
Original post by Lukfisto
Obama did fixed the economy. GDP is at pre-crisis levels. Unemployment is falling, although economy in Europe is still depressed.

Debt is not bad when you have your own currency. It's the tea baggers rhetoric about newly born babies inheriting big debt. And since you mention Romney and Debt in same sentence - do you think Romney will solve debt problem? By making cuts tax cuts for millionaires in 4-5 trillions and spending cuts for poor in 1-2 trillions. Yeah, Romney knows how to fix...

Obama has not fixed the economy.
Reply 3
Original post by dongonaeatu
Obama has not fixed the economy.

It really depends what you think is fixed economy. Booming? It is not possible. Growing GDP and employment? When he fixed it.

US does have big demand problem and some structural too. But economy is in much better state than most of the Europe.
Reply 4
The employment rate is lower than when he took office, and although consumption and exports are up investment, which is necessary for increasing production, still hasn't reached pre-crisis levels.

He really hasn't fixed the economy, but has increased the deficit by a trillion dollars and has broken a lot of his campaign promises. Unfortunately Romney is the only other candidate that's likely to win.
Reply 5

Personally I don't feel Obama has done a great job, but if I was American I'd still vote for him because Romney doesn't seem to believe in anything. He has been both pro abortion and pro life in his lifetime, which makes me think he is one of those politicians who will say anything to get into office, but won't actually do what he promises if he gets in.
You realise that it is possible to conclude that Obama has been a complete failure in regards to the economy but that Romney would be worse, right? Its a balance of harms thing, Obama may be useless with no economic background whatsoever, but Romney has never actually explained what he intend to do, advocates unfunded tax cuts while restating the need to tackle the deficit and has never actually explained what skills he's got from working at Bain and other places which would help him now, merely asserting that he's 'good at turning things around', which isnt exactly a roadmap to progress.

Romney actually needs to explain what he's going to do, not just say how bad of a job Obama's doing, if not he will lose
Reply 8
Original post by justanotherposter
Personally I don't feel Obama has done a great job, but if I was American I'd still vote for him because Romney doesn't seem to believe in anything. He has been both pro abortion and pro life in his lifetime, which makes me think he is one of those politicians who will say anything to get into office, but won't actually do what he promises if he gets in.

sounds a bit like Obama to me
Original post by The Gentle Giant
You realise that it is possible to conclude that Obama has been a complete failure in regards to the economy but that Romney would be worse, right? Its a balance of harms thing, Obama may be useless with no economic background whatsoever, but Romney has never actually explained what he intend to do, advocates unfunded tax cuts while restating the need to tackle the deficit and has never actually explained what skills he's got from working at Bain and other places which would help him now, merely asserting that he's 'good at turning things around', which isnt exactly a roadmap to progress.

Romney actually needs to explain what he's going to do, not just say how bad of a job Obama's doing, if not he will lose

This. A thousand times this.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by TimHuak

The crucial difference is that in Jan 09, those numbers were in freefall, whereas in May 2012, things are on the up. If you want a more telling comparison, compare the numbers at the end of 2009 with today.
http://www.politifact.com/subjects/economy/

This is a great source for information on the subject of the US economy. Overall, I think the the US economy could have turned out worse if Obama had not done what he had done. But to be honest, Obama hasn't been able to do anything significant as of recent history due to the Republican controlled congress blocking everything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending