The Student Room Group

Lancaster or Strathclyde

I have offers from these two universities for international business but don't know what to pick as Lancaster is better overall but Glasgow looks like a more interesting city to live.
Reply 1
Original post by Gibraltarisspain
I have offers from these two universities for international business but don't know what to pick as Lancaster is better overall but Glasgow looks like a more interesting city to live.

Thats exactly it, Lancaster is better but Glasgow is a more bigger city to live in. The eldest studies at Lancaster and is a 4th year and over the past 4 years I can give you an oversight on the city/campus.
Lancaster is a campus uni at Bailrigg which is about 15 mins on a bus into the city. The 100 and the 1a plus many others run into the city and buses come every 10 mins. The campus itself is like a mini village. Its got its own colleges where they have sporting events competing against each other and they each have their own bar. She still hasnt managed to do a whole 9 college bar crawl, but has given it a good go lol. Theres Spar and Central, two onsite supermarkets and lots of food outlets.
Most of the students live on campus 1st year, and 2nd year plus live in the city/bowerham. Masters/postgrads are at grad college or in the city/bowerham.
The city has a lot of georgian buildings and its got quite a few private halls as well. Daughter stayed at Penny street uni accommodation (year3) and it was very nice, very clean and the staff was always on call.
She also lived in a 8 bed flat above a shop in the city(year2) which was a grade II listed georgian building and its close by one of the main streets which has 9 bars on my last count. Plus many other bars round the city. You have sainsburys and aldi and tesco express as well as Mcdonalds and kfc and subway, as well as greggs and pound bakery. You got your primark and jd sports and the usual type of shops.
I can walk from the south of the city to the north doing penny street leading onto cheapside in about 15-20 mins, so its not too big, but has the essentials you need.
Elsewhere, theres a retail park which has asda (which you can order delivery) and matalan and sports direct amongst others just outside the city.
You have the 100 bus to morecambe and heysham. Morecambes lovely to walk on the promenade for ages and ages, it goes on and on. You have the canal which runs through Lancaster and travelling up the canal path north leads to the aquaduct, down south to the uni. There is also the woodland walk which goes round campus which we have done and its very pretty. There is the train to the lakes, and theres a bus which you can catch to Blackpool for the day. The train which also takes you to Manchester which my daughter does every fortnight to see her boyfriend, so shes got that bigger city vibe when she wants it. Theres lots of restaurants in lancaster. The water witch, the pendle witch, tollhouse, boot and shoe, gallico lounge have been nice places to eat to name a few. And its got a few nice cafes like the herbarium and brew and the music room. Williamson park is a great place to explore and when you get to the top its got great views of the city. Lancaster Castle also worth a visit. also the sun inn, pendle witch and the white cross do pub quizzes. Theres Vibe and Sugarhouse and Generation night club.

Its worth a visit just to give you that vibe and feeling if its right. If you cant get, you can drop the little yellow man on googlemaps to have bit of a 'walk' about. Maybe watch a few you tube vlogs and see what you think. With your degree, see how it fits in with the cities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending