The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amyshamblesxx
You will be fine! Good luck :smile:

Original post by MelissaJayne
Best of luck. I'll miss you on this thread when you're gone. Which you will be, because you will pass. BELIEVE. :biggrin:

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it :smile:

I'm hoping so too, I look forward to letting you know that I have, if you dont hear from me for a while assume that I went into a state of depression because I did something stupid and I'm hiding from everyone lol.

I hope I get to wish you luck for your test soon, if I do pass I'll come onto the thread to see how you're doing but from what I've read you're doing really well, keep it up!
Did anyone feel a bit (or very) nervous about driving when they first started? I've got my 8th lesson in about an hour. So far, I've always felt perfectly fine during the actual lesson, but I always start to dread it when it's coming up. I'm not sure why, because in general everything's going okay. I think it's just a confidence problem, but I'd really like to get over it.
Ok so I just failed my test, got two serious marks for undue hesitation when i stopped at traffic lights when i was in the middle of a crossroads and had to carry on and one for apparently being in the right lane when I was supposed to turn right and I had stopped. I also got a serious for 3 speed minors and that was for going too slow and I kind of thought that I was but I didn't want to scare her and I can see why she would have marked me down for that. Oh well, it's not exactly on the most major things and so I'll just try again and hope for the best, can't pretend I'm not gutted though.
Original post by theonefrombrum
Ok so I just failed my test, got two serious marks for undue hesitation when i stopped at traffic lights when i was in the middle of a crossroads and had to carry on and one for apparently being in the right lane when I was supposed to turn right and I had stopped. I also got a serious for 3 speed minors and that was for going too slow and I kind of thought that I was but I didn't want to scare her and I can see why she would have marked me down for that. Oh well, it's not exactly on the most major things and so I'll just try again and hope for the best, can't pretend I'm not gutted though.

Sorry to hear this. At least it means you wont be leaving us though (forever trying to find a silver lining) - they seem like little things that aren't an indication of driving skills, rather judgement or nerves affecting your decision making. I'm sure you'll be able to work on any fine points and pass next time.
Original post by theonefrombrum

aww bad luck :frown: but don't worry none of those things sound too bad. your examiner sounds really harsh though :eek: better luck next time :smile:
Reply 4845
Ever since i've booked my lessons during my free periods at sixth form, they've been going much better.
My mom also got me insured on her car for 30 days (2008 Ford Fiesta :biggrin:) so i can get some private practice done in between my lessons.
My test is on Monday. I really need to get it! I am so paranoid about it...
Any advice? I had a lesson today and it was a mess, complete and utter rubbish. My instructor's car is totally different from my mum's which I have been driving.

Please give tips :smile:
Reply 4847
Original post by shenanigan93
Did anyone feel a bit (or very) nervous about driving when they first started? I've got my 8th lesson in about an hour. So far, I've always felt perfectly fine during the actual lesson, but I always start to dread it when it's coming up. I'm not sure why, because in general everything's going okay. I think it's just a confidence problem, but I'd really like to get over it.

I'm the same. I always imagine my lesson going terribly but once its started I just relax and drive :tongue:. Although I have made a few stupid mistakes. One time I pulled away without putting my seatbelt on and neither the instructor nor I noticed until I was half way down the road! :colondollar:
Just failed my test! I can't stop crying. I failed after pulling out the test centre because I seriously hit a curb, then another serious for observation a while later. Literally nothing is consoling me. I need to put things into perspective :frown: I feel sick.
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
Just failed my test! I can't stop crying. I failed after pulling out the test centre because I seriously hit a curb, then another serious for observation a while later. Literally nothing is consoling me. I need to put things into perspective :frown: I feel sick.

Don't worry about it, poppit! These tests are the luck of the draw, depends on the day and depends on the examiner too. And if it makes you feel any better dickhead me here wasn't allowed to take my theory but still got charged as i forgot my paper license :biggrin: Oh, the joys of driving
Reply 4850

It's only a driving test, nobody's died! You can do it again :smile:

:hugs:

I know this probably won't help that much right now but just try to see it as experience for your next test. You'll get there :smile:

--

I think my confidence is really starting to improve, bit by bit. I'm still making lots of mistakes but I've stopped dwelling on them so much, despite having a really bad lesson a few weeks ago where I ended up having a panic attack on a roundabout leading to the dual carriageway because of something stupid I'd done... was easily the worst driving experience I've had yet. My instructor handled the whole thing really well though which I'm grateful for, for a while I was considering trying a different instructor because mine can be a bit harsh sometimes but actually the way he reacted when it mattered was brilliant.

I've covered everything on the list now and in general my driving has improved so much, I can't believe the difference between now and even a few lessons back. It's quite rewarding!
I've just had my third lesson :biggrin: I've done junctions and 'turn in road' I believe he called it (aka 3 point turn) but steering and the clutch is tricky, all comes with practise I suppose! I've also booked my theory for the 24th October so that I HAVE to study, I'm the kind of person that if I give myself loads of time to do something, I leave it until the last minute :tongue:
Original post by crc290
I'm the same. I always imagine my lesson going terribly but once its started I just relax and drive :tongue:. Although I have made a few stupid mistakes. One time I pulled away without putting my seatbelt on and neither the instructor nor I noticed until I was half way down the road! :colondollar:

I used to do stuff like that- forgetting to change my mirrors and stuff. Then when you notice you don't want to change it whilst your driving in case your instructor says 'you should have done that before you set off' ahaha.
Reply 4854
Original post by Runninground
I used to do stuff like that- forgetting to change my mirrors and stuff. Then when you notice you don't want to change it whilst your driving in case your instructor says 'you should have done that before you set off' ahaha.

Don't even talk to me about mirrors, my instructor tells me my observations are terrible after every single maneuver I make!
I have my test very soon and I have to say I feel a lot more prepared for it than when I originally booked it, I'd say there's still every chance I'll fail as I'm still racking up about five or six mistakes in my lessons albeit most are for things like inadequate observation or hesitation which can be easily corrected. I put it down to being put on L Insurance on my mum's car, I've been out driving pretty much every night since I got it and as she drives a Golf and my instructor drives a Leon, I find that the experience in mum's car is helping me on my lessons.

So hope I pass :smile:
Original post by unclekevo
I have my test very soon and I have to say I feel a lot more prepared for it than when I originally booked it, I'd say there's still every chance I'll fail as I'm still racking up about five or six mistakes in my lessons albeit most are for things like inadequate observation or hesitation which can be easily corrected. I put it down to being put on L Insurance on my mum's car, I've been out driving pretty much every night since I got it and as she drives a Golf and my instructor drives a Leon, I find that the experience in mum's car is helping me on my lessons.

So hope I pass :smile:

Yeah, keep going out each night and practising. Drive around looking for places to practise your manoeuvres too- it's good to practise in different situations. I think that's the reason I passed first time- I went out every night for three weeks before my test.
Just had my first lesson today and thought it went very well. Spent the opening half hour (of two hours) going through general bits and bobs and by the end I was able to do left hand turning.

Ideally I wanted to do 25 (hours worth of) lessons before taking I test and after the lesson this seemed pretty realistic, but my instructor was saying that i'd need to look at another 20 two hour lessons before booking my test (so 42+ hours), seeing as my older brother passed with 20 hours, does it seem like my instructors just trying to get extra money or do you need at least 40 hours to realistically pass?
Original post by A for Andromeda
Just had my first lesson today and thought it went very well. Spent the opening half hour (of two hours) going through general bits and bobs and by the end I was able to do left hand turning.

Ideally I wanted to do 25 (hours worth of) lessons before taking I test and after the lesson this seemed pretty realistic, but my instructor was saying that i'd need to look at another 20 two hour lessons before booking my test (so 42+ hours), seeing as my older brother passed with 20 hours, does it seem like my instructors just trying to get extra money or do you need at least 40 hours to realistically pass?

It really does depend on how you pick it up. I would give it a few lessons and see what you have done after about 3 lessons - then get back to us on here, let us know how you're getting on, and it'll be better for us to be able to tell if you're being taken for a ride.

But well done though! Did you do lots of setting off, starting and stopping too?
Original post by A for Andromeda

It's not really fair for either of you to cast judgement before you've started properly as people learn at different rates. I'd say between 30-40 is normal, though.

Latest

Trending

Trending