The Student Room Group

2013 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys, fellow reapplicant offer holder over here!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Is it worth putting/is anyone putting an insurance choice down on ucas? ... (Just a bit paranoid :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2321
Original post by Rammiejimjams

Is it worth putting/is anyone putting an insurance choice down on ucas? ... (Just a bit paranoid :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think ucas lets you if your offers are unconditional

Posted from TSR Mobile
So that is it. UCAS 2013 Cycle for me is over. So much better than last year. Somehow I got 4 offers! Over the moon. It's great to hear everyone else getting offers here too. Hope the ones that haven't got any so far, get some! We all deserve it! :biggrin:
Original post by Rammiejimjams

Posted from TSR Mobile

you might aswell, just incase anything goes wrong (which it wont :wink: ) but theres no hurt in playing it safe :smile: if there both conditional which i assume they are on the basis you have health form and CRB to fill in then put one as insurance if youre lucky enough to have 2 offers!

Original post by jasqur
I don't think ucas lets you if your offers are unconditional

Posted from TSR Mobile

most are conditional, even for those with grades due to CRB and Health questionnaire :biggrin:
Original post by Nandos94
So that is it. UCAS 2013 Cycle for me is over. So much better than last year. Somehow I got 4 offers! Over the moon. It's great to hear everyone else getting offers here too. Hope the ones that haven't got any so far, get some! We all deserve it! :biggrin:

WOW! well done! are you going to be joining me at manchester? :wink: or have you not decided yet where youre going?!
Original post by J1994D
WOW! well done! are you going to be joining me at manchester? :wink: or have you not decided yet where youre going?!

I'm afraid not :P I think I'll probably firm Edinburgh or Newcastle. Leaning more to Edinburgh though. I'll have a final think tonight!
Original post by Nandos94
I'm afraid not :P I think I'll probably firm Edinburgh or Newcastle. Leaning more to Edinburgh though. I'll have a final think tonight!

must be hard with all that choice! id just flip a coin
Finally got an offer :biggrin: After 8 applications, a gap year and 7 rejections I can't quite believe that I've actually done it :biggrin:

Anyone who got 4 rejections and is thinking about taking a gap year- just do it- it's an amazing experience and it'll make the offers all the more sweeter when they do come :biggrin:
Original post by Ingenting
Finally got an offer :biggrin: After 8 applications, a gap year and 7 rejections I can't quite believe that I've actually done it :biggrin:

Anyone who got 4 rejections and is thinking about taking a gap year- just do it- it's an amazing experience and it'll make the offers all the more sweeter when they do come :biggrin:

CONGRATS! :party: so many of us gappers have got offers!

Congrats!! Us reapplicants are doing amazingly this year!

On a slightly less happy note got a Barts rejection today, but if I'm honest there wasn't a gat chance of me firming it over ,y current offers anyway. I just need to think of how I would have felt at the start of the cycle if someone had told me I'd have 2 offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J1994D
CONGRATS! :party: so many of us gappers have got offers!

Thanks!:smile:

I can't believe that a year ago I'd been rejected by all 4 unis and was considering doing a different degree- now to have an offer is just an amazing feeling :biggrin: Best decision I ever made! Well done on your offer- I haven't really been looking at this thread much lately- I was starting to feel a bit jealous at all the people getting offers :colondollar: and despairing that I'd never get one.
Original post by manupalace
Congrats!! Us reapplicants are doing amazingly this year!

On a slightly less happy note got a Barts rejection today, but if I'm honest there wasn't a gat chance of me firming it over ,y current offers anyway. I just need to think of how I would have felt at the start of the cycle if someone had told me I'd have 2 offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, and congrats on your offers :smile:

Ah well- at least we've got offers this year, so I'm not complaining :tongue: And yeah, I don't think I'd have believed anyone that told me that this year I'd have an offer at my first choice uni. Where are your offers from?
Thanks, and congrats on your offers :smile:

Ah well- at least we've got offers this year, so I'm not complaining :tongue: And yeah, I don't think I'd have believed anyone that told me that this year I'd have an offer at my first choice uni. Where are your offers from?

Wow, that's even better! and its unconditional so no need for an insurance choice!

Thanks :smile: I have offers from St George's and Imperial for their GEP courses :smile: If someone had told me this time last year (after my disastrous UKCAT and my disastrous MMI at St George's) that I'd have offers from St George's and Imperial I wouldn't have believed them, I'd probably have just laughed.
Reply 2333

Congratulations to you!!! Where was the offer from - there's hope for the rest of us maybe, am still waiting on my last two universities now, am keeping everything crossed:smile:
Original post by manupalace
Wow, that's even better! and its unconditional so no need for an insurance choice!

Thanks :smile: I have offers from St George's and Imperial for their GEP courses :smile: If someone had told me this time last year (after my disastrous UKCAT and my disastrous MMI at St George's) that I'd have offers from St George's and Imperial I wouldn't have believed them, I'd probably have just laughed.

Your offers were for GEP though, and you get to choose! Getting my first choice though (over both years)- I think about it every so often and just can't quite believe it. It's sort of unconditional- only conditions are that I send them certificates/CRB/health forms.

This was my last decision as well- after two pre-interview rejections and an absolute car crash of an interview this year I was pretty much resigned to getting four rejections again, so this is just amazing news :biggrin:
Original post by fuzzycat
Congratulations to you!!! Where was the offer from - there's hope for the rest of us maybe, am still waiting on my last two universities now, am keeping everything crossed:smile:

Thanks, my offer was from Newcastle :smile:

Where are you still waiting to hear from? Don't give up hope yet- two applications is half your application, so you're definitely in with a shot of getting an offer :smile:
Reply 2336
Thanks, my offer was from Newcastle :smile:

Where are you still waiting to hear from? Don't give up hope yet- two applications is half your application, so you're definitely in with a shot of getting an offer :smile:

Thanks for the boost:smile: Waiting for BSMS and Liverpool. And congrats again, you'll love Newcastle I'm sure.
Hey guys (:

On Friday, I'm going in to my old secondary school to have a chat with the current Yr12s who are thinking about applying for Medicine.

I have printed off an 'easy-access guide' to all of the medical schools' entry requirements (and what they don't necessarily make clear in their prospectuses), but I was wondering if anyone had any 'oh I wish I'd been told that..' sort of thing.
I can obviously give them my own experiences (e.g., looking back, I know now that I was naive and didn't apply to my strengths. In my first personal statement, my work experience was pretty much just a list and not enough reflection) but was wondering if anyone else had anything they wish they'd been told?

I'm probably going to go in for the scare tactics :tongue: but I think I should at least try to impart some 'wisdom' upon them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2338
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Hey guys (:

On Friday, I'm going in to my old secondary school to have a chat with the current Yr12s who are thinking about applying for Medicine.

I have printed off an 'easy-access guide' to all of the medical schools' entry requirements (and what they don't necessarily make clear in their prospectuses), but I was wondering if anyone had any 'oh I wish I'd been told that..' sort of thing.
I can obviously give them my own experiences (e.g., looking back, I know now that I was naive and didn't apply to my strengths. In my first personal statement, my work experience was pretty much just a list and not enough reflection) but was wondering if anyone else had anything they wish they'd been told?

I'm probably going to go in for the scare tactics :tongue: but I think I should at least try to impart some 'wisdom' upon them.

Teamwork, Leadership, Interpersonal schools, EC's. Giving the UKCAT a lot of emphasis. BMAT=gamble. Perhaps look at my FOI for Bristol for PS content. They're quite detailed :smile:
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Hey guys (:

Good idea- my old head of Sixth Form wants me to do this too at some point.

I think I'll probably just explain everything about the whole process and how to do well at each stage (UKCAT, choices, PS, interviews) and explain about gap years incase it all goes wrong. Maybe also tell them about your work experience and how you got it- I was totally lost for ages when it came to finding mine. They'll probably ask loads of questions anyway, so I don't think you'll need to prepare a whole speech :colondollar:

I think I'd also like to have been told about the medicine wiki and PS help on here- I only found them at then start of my gap year, and my application would probably have been a whole lot stronger the first time around if I'd known about them then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending