The Student Room Group

2013 STEP thread mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DJMayes
To be honest though I don't think the play off matters so much as I don't believe any exam board holds any big advantage over others in terms of uni admissions. This is off-topic, but which exam board would you choose? If I was in the position of choosing an exam board I think I would choose Edexcel every time. The resources are far better than for any other board, there is AFM to stretch the stronger candidates and it feels like the exams are being toughened up a bit recently (All of the ones I sat this session (C4, FP2, FP3, M4, M5, S3, S4) barring FP2 felt more difficult than average in my opinion).

I don't know, because MEI is quite obviously harder whilst AQA seems a tad easier. I have to agree though, I'd still choose Edexcel even though the AFM for MEI looks quite tasty. I've just blocked out all of my exams now, I can't really remember the questions on any of them and I think that's for the better.
Original post by JPL9457
do you mean this summer or summer next year?

this summer- it will make life easier- take breaks from it if you get bored
Original post by nahomyemane778
this summer- it will make life easier- take breaks from it if you get bored

is that what you did?
Original post by JPL9457
is that what you did?

yes. but i used a general pure book. And had to go read the content in the edexcel books to prepare for exams- I found FP2 quite tricky at times- took ages to get the hang of loci with complex numbers, ages to get polar coordinates right and differential equations i also found hard to begin with but got used to them. Others were alright.

Edit: when i say life easier- i mean in the long run for year 13.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1544
In case anyone wants something to think about, I've just posted a claim that a STEP paper question is wrong.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=43561377#post43561377
Original post by MAD Phil
In case anyone wants something to think about, I've just posted a claim that a STEP paper question is wrong.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=43561377#post43561377

I have a method which i'll post later. It's a first principals method so I don't know how it'll hold up.
Reply 1546
Original post by bananarama2
I have a method which i'll post later. It's a first principals method so I don't know how it'll hold up.

If you are working from first principals, I'm sure we'll agree. You only get the "required answer" if you apply the theorem that looks like Newton's Law for a body of varying mass (but isn't), without checking that all its conditions apply.
If you are working from first principals, I'm sure we'll agree. You only get the "required answer" if you apply the theorem that looks like Newton's Law for a body of varying mass (but isn't), without checking that all its conditions apply.

I'm guessing you're talking about using the product rule on mv?
Reply 1548
I'm guessing you're talking about using the product rule on mv?

No, I don't think that the rate of change of mv is relevant - that's my point.
Reply 1549
Original post by Jkn
The DOS at the college I have my offer told me that an S in STEP I wouldn't be worth much because they design it to be a grade and a half easier! :tongue:

If that's the aim, I'm not sure they always achieve it. Discounting questions that I know I can't do because they require statistics theory beyond S1*, I think that the hardest STEP question ever was 2001 STEP 1 Q1. I don't find any of the published proofs really convincing. (Not even Siklos's.) I've got a couple of proofs that convince me, but might not be to other people's taste. They are very long, and took ages to develop.

The only really nice proof I've ever seen was given to me by one of my students, who got it from an unnamed friend in Sweden.

---------

*and those which I can't do because they are impossible - see discussion above!
No, I don't think that the rate of change of mv is relevant - that's my point.

I meant that it's wrong, sorry.
Reply 1551
If that's the aim, I'm not sure they always achieve it. Discounting questions that I know I can't do because they require statistics theory beyond S1*, I think that the hardest STEP question ever was 2001 STEP 1 Q1. I don't find any of the published proofs really convincing. (Not even Siklos's.) I've got a couple of proofs that convince me, but might not be to other people's taste. They are very long, and took ages to develop.

The only really nice proof I've ever seen was given to me by one of my students, who got it from an unnamed friend in Sweden.

---------

*and those which I can't do because they are impossible - see discussion above!

Hmm, it is a bit of a fiddly one, doesn't seem too difficult though, the problem can be simplified a bit by using symmetries etc..

But, either way, if they weren't expecting rigour, what they actually expected wouldn't've been that great :tongue:

I keep getting their answer. I'll be intrigued to see what's wrong.
Reply 1553
Original post by Jkn
Hmm, it is a bit of a fiddly one, doesn't seem too difficult though, the problem can be simplified a bit by using symmetries etc..

But, either way, if they weren't expecting rigour, what they actually expected wouldn't've been that great :tongue:

Well, with a question that can be stated in such elementary terms, I'd say that a proof that isn't rigorous just isn't a proof at all.

When I first read the question, I was pretty sure that the required result was true. That would still be my mental state after reading the Siklos proof and the proof given on TSR - I wouldn't have progressed to knowing it was true. (Maybe I'm just dim and don't really understand those proofs properly.) Moving to the state of knowing that the result was definitely true took me hours longer than any other STEP question I can remember, and far far longer than any question 1 should, let alone Q1 on paper 1

My answers are truly horrible, and I've just noticed a hole in that Swedish proof, which I had thought was the only hope of getting a really convincing proof with a reasonable amount of working. The fact that I'm only just noticed the gap in that proof reinforces the conclusion that either this question was far too hard to be Q1 on paper 1, or I'm rubbish on this sort of question.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1554
I keep getting their answer. I'll be intrigued to see what's wrong.

What form of Newton's Law are you using? What do you say the resultant external force is equal to?
What form of Newton's Law are you using? What do you say the resultant external force is equal to?

IMG_20130717_0001.pdf
Wow my writing looks scruffy there :tongue:
Err, how do Warwick find out my STEP results?
Just wondering how the universities get hold of the information. (Not just for Step, a levels too.)

To add (a little bit late) to the discussion about running maths and fmaths parallel or one after the other, personally I did them one after another (state school/college, although we didn't have the small classes some of you had, I think we had 3 or 4 classes of 15-20 in each year group for "double maths"). I think my college ran it this way so that people who struggled with A2 maths didn't get stuck doing A2 further. Besides, I think it makes sense to do A2 maths before fmaths, I think its an easier way to pick it up, and some of the maths stuff gets used in maths anyway.
I don't know, because MEI is quite obviously harder whilst AQA seems a tad easier. I have to agree though, I'd still choose Edexcel even though the AFM for MEI looks quite tasty. I've just blocked out all of my exams now, I can't really remember the questions on any of them and I think that's for the better.

Aqa is easier with a teacher perhaps, but I'd go out of my way to not self teach AQA, no textbooks for M/S 3+, and the PDF textbooks for the A2 further pure modules are filled with mistakes, in answers, questions, even the methods and whatnot occasionally have typos in, making it impossible to self teach. They are, without a doubt, the worst textbooks ever written.
Original post by Appeal to reason
Err, how do Warwick find out my STEP results?
Just wondering how the universities get hold of the information. (Not just for Step, a levels too.)

To add (a little bit late) to the discussion about running maths and fmaths parallel or one after the other, personally I did them one after another (state school/college, although we didn't have the small classes some of you had, I think we had 3 or 4 classes of 15-20 in each year group for "double maths"). I think my college ran it this way so that people who struggled with A2 maths didn't get stuck doing A2 further. Besides, I think it makes sense to do A2 maths before fmaths, I think its an easier way to pick it up, and some of the maths stuff gets used in maths anyway.

Doing maths and further maths in tandem is a recent phenomenon - FP1 was designed specifically for that, and the fact that there are now four core modules helps too. It would be impossible for someone to do further pure before finishing the equivalent of C4 before the 2008(?) reforms.

For comparison, Edexcel P4 (the next core maths you would do after C4) had first and second order differential equations and polar co-ordinates, which I believe is now FP2. There's no way that is a reasonable thing to get someone doing further maths to grasp in their first term after GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending