The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Legal drugdealer
same here

Original post by ResultInExcellence
... I thought that was what you were meant to do?!

I think so too :biggrin:
Original post by Dave97
Instead of homogenous pair of chromosomes I put alleles, is that still acceptable?

Definitely not, sorry :frown:
Original post by Unknown Life
And also, for the question about how haemoglobin aids the transport of oxygen, could you write about how oxygen and haemoglobin bind reversibly in the erythrocytes, and travel to the resourcing tissues where they are needed, and then dissociate? Sorry /:

and for the question about what the structure was containing the xylem and phloem, was it okay if you wrote vein (vascular)?:frown:

Sounds pretty Greek to me, but I think that should get you credit :smile:

I don't know, it's one of those where they'll either do ACCEPT or IGNORE with vein. Vascular bundle's the safe bet. Vein by itself I don't think would get the mark, but vascular vein might :smile:
Original post by Legal drugdealer
Oh also I said Bohr effect not shift, the microtubules move the organelles; keep the shape of the cell; and i didn't say release it afterwards for the balloon question

-Bohr effect should be fine
-I'm not sure if you'll be given that, because they don't directly do so, but it's only part of the question and you might have gotten credit for the other things you'd written
-That's right
-I don't think that'll make much difference

I've not got the paper, I just sat it. The answers aren't exact, they just give people an idea of if they've written the right thing :smile:
Original post by paradoxicalme
-Bohr effect should be fine
-I'm not sure if you'll be given that, because they don't directly do so, but it's only part of the question and you might have gotten credit for the other things you'd written
-That's right
-I don't think that'll make much difference

I've not got the paper, I just sat it. The answers aren't exact, they just give people an idea of if they've written the right thing :smile:

Oh right yeah i was thinking the same thing after about the mircotubules ahh thanks for the help :smile:
CELL STRUCTURE QUESTION

1a)i) Present in plant cells but not animal cells:
Chloroplasts, cell wall
ii) Present in animal cells but not plant cells:
Centrioles
1b) Description of what the cytoskeleton does:
Determines shape of cell; changes shape of cell; vesicles move down microtubules; RNA/other
molecules move down microtubules
1c) Secretion of protease enzymes from pancreatic cells:
EXOCYTOSIS; mRNA moves out of nuclear pores to the ribosomes; ribosomes assemble the proteins;
vesicles move to Golgi body down microtubules; modified and repackaged; vesicles move to the cell surface membrane; fuse with membrane; deposit enzymes outside cell

VASCULAR TISSUES CROSS-SECTION LEAF QUESTION
-Xylem on top, phloem on bottom (DON'T label the middle, that's cambium)
-Vascular bundle

BALLOONS
The balloon expands because pulling the rubber sheet down increases the volume inside the bell jar, which decreases the pressure, so air is sucked into the balloons down the pressure gradient
Tidal volume: Volume of air moved in and out of the lungs from a 'normal' breath at rest
How to demonstrate it: Pull the rubber sheet down and release it (in tandem with a student's even
breaths at rest?)
Vital capacity: Maximum volume of air that can be inspired + maximum volume of air that can be
expired
How to demonstrate it: Pull the rubber sheet down as far as it can go without the balloons bursting

TISSUE FLUID/HAEMOGLOBIN/BOHR SHIFT
a) Why erythrocytes don't enter the tissue fluid:
They're too big, 7 micrometres, can't fit through the fenestrations of the capillary wall
b) Haemoglobin transporting oxygen:
High affinity for oxygen; 4 haem groups, each of which can bond to one oxygen molecule; transported
around body in blood; oxygen released to tissues where there is a low O2 partial pressure
c) How hydrogencarbonate ions are made:
Carbonic anhydrase; reaction of water and carbon dioxide to make H2CO3; dissociation into H+ ions
and hydrogencarbonate ions
d) Carbon dioxide reaction:
Bohr shift. The H+ ions produced due to the high partial pressures of carbon dioxide bind to haemoglobin and displace the oxygen atoms, so they diffuse out of the haemoglobin into the actively respiring tissue.

GREX
a) Mitosis (asexual reproduction)
b) 3 is where differentation starts
c) Cell signalling
d) There is cell signalling with the folic acid and bacteria; and the cAMP (specific complementary
receptors...molecules...trigger response...)
e) They can be adapted to this by having specific, complementary receptors in their plasma membranes
to the molecules folic acid and cAMP, e.g. glycoproteins

TRANSLOCATION
Observations:
2 and 3 means that charged particles (H+ ions) are transported out and then back into the companion
cells, due to the changes in pH; against concentration gradient
4 means that the process is an active process requiring ATP from aerobic respiration.
Gap fill:
Active transport, concentration, facilitated, diffusion, ARGH (amino acids is definitely correct; waiting for confirmation on glucose/fructose/maltose)

DEFINITIONS
-Homologous pair (of chromosomes)
-Organ system
-Open circulatory system
-Apoplast pathway
-Ultrastructure
-Meiosis
-Exocytosis

For the cytoskeleton
would it be correct to say how actin filaments move against each other to form extensions of cytoplast such as forming pseudopodia in phagocytosis.

Also that microtubules make up cilia - which waft fluids over cells

TRANSLOCATION
Observations:
2 and 3 means that charged particles (H+ ions) are transported out and then back into the companion
4 means that the process is an active process requiring ATP from aerobic respiration.
Gap fill:
Active transport, concentration, facilitated, diffusion, ARGH (amino acids is definitely correct; waiting for confirmation on glucose/fructose/maltose)

For obs 2 and 3, if you wrote that it shows the phloem is used in translocation and that translocation actually occurs, would you get the marks? Sorry again /:
CELL STRUCTURE QUESTION

1a)i) Present in plant cells but not animal cells:
Chloroplasts, cell wall
ii) Present in animal cells but not plant cells:
Centrioles
1b) Description of what the cytoskeleton does:
Determines shape of cell; changes shape of cell; vesicles move down microtubules; RNA/other
molecules move down microtubules
1c) Secretion of protease enzymes from pancreatic cells:
EXOCYTOSIS; mRNA moves out of nuclear pores to the ribosomes; ribosomes assemble the proteins;
vesicles move to Golgi body down microtubules; modified and repackaged; vesicles move to the cell surface membrane; fuse with membrane; deposit enzymes outside cell

VASCULAR TISSUES CROSS-SECTION LEAF QUESTION
-Xylem on top, phloem on bottom (DON'T label the middle, that's cambium)
-Vascular bundle

BALLOONS
The balloon expands because pulling the rubber sheet down increases the volume inside the bell jar, which decreases the pressure, so air is sucked into the balloons down the pressure gradient
Tidal volume: Volume of air moved in and out of the lungs from a 'normal' breath at rest
How to demonstrate it: Pull the rubber sheet down and release it (in tandem with a student's even
breaths at rest?)
Vital capacity: Maximum volume of air that can be inspired + maximum volume of air that can be
expired
How to demonstrate it: Pull the rubber sheet down as far as it can go without the balloons bursting

TISSUE FLUID/HAEMOGLOBIN/BOHR SHIFT
a) Why erythrocytes don't enter the tissue fluid:
They're too big, 7 micrometres, can't fit through the fenestrations of the capillary wall
b) Haemoglobin transporting oxygen:
High affinity for oxygen; 4 haem groups, each of which can bond to one oxygen molecule; transported
around body in blood; oxygen released to tissues where there is a low O2 partial pressure
c) How hydrogencarbonate ions are made:
Carbonic anhydrase; reaction of water and carbon dioxide to make H2CO3; dissociation into H+ ions
and hydrogencarbonate ions
d) Carbon dioxide reaction:
Bohr shift. The H+ ions produced due to the high partial pressures of carbon dioxide bind to haemoglobin and displace the oxygen atoms, so they diffuse out of the haemoglobin into the actively respiring tissue.

GREX
a) Mitosis (asexual reproduction)
b) 3 is where differentation starts
c) Cell signalling
d) There is cell signalling with the folic acid and bacteria; and the cAMP (specific complementary
receptors...molecules...trigger response...)
e) They can be adapted to this by having specific, complementary receptors in their plasma membranes
to the molecules folic acid and cAMP, e.g. glycoproteins

TRANSLOCATION
Observations:
Gap fill:

DEFINITIONS
-Homologous pair (of chromosomes)
-Organ system
-Open circulatory system
-Apoplast pathway
-Ultrastructure
-Meiosis
-Exocytosis

For the breathing/balloons one, about how the teacher could demonstrate, I talked about breathing into the glass tube at the top of the apparatus not about pulling the rubber thing down.. Do you reckon this totally wrong?? :frown:
What did people get to the maths question?
Original post by Kaaayleigh
What did people get to the maths question?

50,000 hours but I'm not entirely sure
Original post by Unknown Life
50,000 hours but I'm not entirely sure

17 hours :smile:
I wasnt sure if it was 50000 or 17
Original post by Kaaayleigh
I wasnt sure if it was 50000 or 17

It's 17

500000 would assume that only one cell ungoes mitosis every hour

If you think about it if you have 1 cell in an hour it becomes 2 cells, but then both of those two cells divide to form 4 cells in the next hour, then during the 3rd hour all four cells divide to form 8 cells.

If you get maths this suggests that 2^x=100000 where x is the number of years and x worked out to be 16.6 which would round to 17.
Reply 33
why wouldn't alleles be acceptable?
Reply 34
i thought it was a vein not a vascular bundle?
Reply 35
Do you think reference to microtubule motors would gain marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought lysosomes also weren't found in plant cells for 1aii? Also, for the Bohr shift question, I wrote that the carbon dioxide may associate with the haemoglobin, forming carbaminohaemoglobin, meaning there's less haem groups available for the oxygen to bind to. Would you be able to say that instead or is that not right?
Original post by emgray_
i thought it was a vein not a vascular bundle?

pretty sure it's vascular bundle :/
Could you put diploid instead of homologous pair?
Reply 39
I wrote 'aploplast' instead of 'apoplast' do you think that'll be accepted for the one mark questions ??

Latest