The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544 revision thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sezena
Would a smarty pants be able to tell me if this is correct;
Outline the cognitive approach
The cognitive approach looks at our internal mental processes, and believe this is important to understanding our behaviour. It believed the human Brian is and information processes like a computer. We receive information, interpret it and have an output to it which is our responses. Cognitive research often does laboratory experiments which makes it more scientific and often argued that psychology can be a science due to the quantitative data it often gathers.

How would I get more marks? I don't feel like that's strong enough for 4!

I would say that would get 4/4. It doesn't have to be overly complicated. Here's an example of a model answer that got 4/4:

This approach studies individuals' mental processes or cognitions, and how they influence behaviour. The approach assumes that information is received by the senses and then processed. How this information is processed by the brain directly affects behaviour. Cognitive processes can't be seen, but can be studied through behaviour, as we can infer what a person is thinking based on how they act. The mind is like a computer - Psychology is interested in how the brain inputs, outputs and stores information.
Original post by random1234567
Hey, appreciate the model answers, seems pretty short but good!

Yeah, that's what confused a lot of us when we revised for section A, but my Psychology teacher is an OCR examiner, and basically told us how she marks and what she gives marks for. And she was one of the harshest examiners i'd ever come across, so that's saying something. :P
Reply 62
Original post by mkhan9035
I would say that would get 4/4. It doesn't have to be overly complicated. Here's an example of a model answer that got 4/4:

This approach studies individuals' mental processes or cognitions, and how they influence behaviour. The approach assumes that information is received by the senses and then processed. How this information is processed by the brain directly affects behaviour. Cognitive processes can't be seen, but can be studied through behaviour, as we can infer what a person is thinking based on how they act. The mind is like a computer - Psychology is interested in how the brain inputs, outputs and stores information.

Yours sounds so much better than mine! I went back and edited as I had loads of spelling mistakes due to my phone making silly corrections and added an example of a research that collected quantitative data!
Reply 63
Also, how would you go about describing two studies from the cognitive approach? I'm unaware of what to do about the layout :frown:
For cognitive I have moral development and social cognition but have no idea how I would get 8 marks :,)!
Original post by Sezena
Yours sounds so much better than mine! I went back and edited as I had loads of spelling mistakes due to my phone making silly corrections and added an example of a research that collected quantitative data!

Yeah don't worry, and i wouldn't think you'd need to add an e.g. of a research method because you might come across as generalising, even though nearly every cognitive study did obtain quantitative data of some sort, so just keep it simple :smile:
Original post by Sezena
Also, how would you go about describing two studies from the cognitive approach? I'm unaware of what to do about the layout :frown:
For cognitive I have moral development and social cognition but have no idea how I would get 8 marks :,)!

The best way of answering part b (Describe 2 studies) is to follow the AMPRC method:

So...

A - Aim of the study - brief aim
M - Method - basic method used
P - Procedure - basic outline of the procedure
R - Results - only the main results
C - Conclusion (by tying it in to how it applies to the relevant approach/debate)
Yeah, that's what confused a lot of us when we revised for section A, but my Psychology teacher is an OCR examiner, and basically told us how she marks and what she gives marks for. And she was one of the harshest examiners i'd ever come across, so that's saying something. :P

Oh lol, I shall follow that structure seems simple but effective.. you know for the part b question on section B. Do you have to describe a study in-depth for example state the aim, sample etc?
Oh lol, I shall follow that structure seems simple but effective.. you know for the part b question on section B. Do you have to describe a study in-depth for example state the aim, sample etc?

The best way of answering part b (Describe 2 studies) is to follow the AMPRC method:

So...

C - Conclusion (by tying it in to how it applies to the relevant approach/debate)

So...

Thankyou!!, for part C, 2 strengths and 2 weaknesses?
I have no idea for the part D and E questions :s
The structure for Section B: Part (c) questions: Strengths and Weaknesses:

So to meet the 10-12 marks band, you must give at least 2 strengths and 2 weaknesses, accurately described with supporting evidence.

In order to meet this criteria, ensure your answer covers the following points:

- An introductory sentence
- Identification of a strength e.g. A strength of the cognitive approach is...
- Full explanation of the point in relation to the approach/issue/debate/method
- Research evidence to support your point (e.g. an AS/A2 study)

Do this ^^ again for a 2nd strength

- Identification of a weakness e.g. A Weakness of the cognitive approach is...

Do this again ^^ for a 2nd weakness
(edited 9 years ago)
The structure for Part (c) questions: Strengths and Weaknesses:

So to meet the 10-12 band, you must give at least 2 strengths and 2 weaknesses, accurately described with supporting evidence.

In order to meet this criteria, ensure your answer covers the following points:

- Identification of a strength e.g. A strength of the cognitive approach is...

Do this ^^ again for a 2nd strength

- Identification of a weakness e.g. A Weakness of the cognitive approach is...

Do this again ^^ for a 2nd weakness

so pretty much similar to section C on the CS paper!
The structure for Section B: Part (d) questions:

Part (d) will ask you to compare 2 approaches or two research methods in psychology. This question is worth 8 marks.

To meet this criteria you must highlight:

- At least one similarity
- A full explanation of the similarity, in relation to both approaches/research methods.
- Research evidence from both approaches/research methods to support your point
- At least one difference
- A full explanation of the difference, in relation to both approaches/research methods.
so pretty much similar to section C on the CS paper!

Yeah that's pretty much it :smile:
The structure for Section B: Part (d) questions:

Part (d) will ask you to compare 2 approaches or two research methods in psychology. This question is worth 8 marks.

To meet this criteria you must highlight:

- At least one similarity
- A full explanation of the similarity, in relation to both approaches/research methods.
- At least one difference
- A full explanation of the difference, in relation to both approaches/research methods.

The structure for Section B: Part (e) questions:

Part (e) will ask you to discuss an approach/issue/debate/method in relation to another. This question is worth 8 marks and requires you to have:

- An introductory sentence linked to the approaches/issues/debates in the question
- Present the first part of your argument - introduce and explain
- Provide research evidence from AS or A2 to support your answer
- Ensure it's fully linked to the point and question
- Present the other side of the argument - introduce and explain
- Provide research evidence from AS or A2 to support your answer
- Ensure it's fully linked to the point and question
- Provide a concluding sentence about the information you've presented.

No problem, if you need model answers just let me know (which applies to everyone) :smile:
No problem, if you need model answers just let me know (which applies to everyone) :smile:

I wouldnt mind lol, any help is needed!. Which model answers do you particularly have?
I wouldnt mind lol, any help is needed!. Which model answers do you particularly have?

Everything lol
Everything lol

Woah, would help hehe, thats if you do not mind!
Woah, would help hehe, thats if you do not mind!

Yeah i don't mind, i just can't upload word docs, like i wish i could because i had all these notes saved on my USB but i lost it, so i can only type the notes, so let me know which notes you want examples of and i'll slowly but surely get it posted for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending