The Student Room Group

It is only sexist when men do it

It is only sexist when men do it.

Thought we can discuss and list the double standards in this so called politically correct society.

1) If a man is the subject of a joke, then its funny and all the women laugh, but soon as you take the word "man" out of it and replace it with a woman it becomes misogyny.

Scroll to see replies

Let me explain power structures to you

If you shout "you're fired" to your boss, nothing happens to him, because you're not in a position of power over him

If he shouts "you're fired" at you, you lose your job. The same thing was said, yet it had much worse consequences when he said it because he's in a position of power

I don't agree with people being "sexist" to men but you cannot argue it is as damaging as sexism towards females
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister

If you shout "you're fired" to your boss, nothing happens to him, because you're not in a position of power over him

If he shouts "you're fired" at you, you lose your job. The same thing was said, yet it had much worse consequences when he said it because he's in a position of power

I don't agree with people being "sexist" to men but you cannot argue it is as damaging as sexism towards females

Why put sexism in quotation marks?
Original post by Ade9000
Why put sexism in quotation marks?

Because some people argue that you can't be sexist towards men, which I don't strictly agree with, but understand

I was sexually harrassed by a 12 different girls at my work. They were young , slim and attractive and they made me feel like a piece of meat
Because some people argue that you can't be sexist towards men, which I don't strictly agree with, but understand

I don't understand. Sexism is simply defined as prejudice based on gender. It is perfect possible to be sexist towards men and I usual don't insult people only, but anyone who thinks otherwise is just simply being dim.

Lol. Why on earth is sexism to females "more harmful" ? Is anti white racism OK too ?

And that view is the main problem with feminism.... they don't particular care about sexism against men because they don't see it as damaging.

They fail to realise being a man automatically can lower your quality of life, raise the chance of death and increase the likelihood of suicide and mental disorders due to sexism.
Original post by Ade9000
I don't understand. Sexism is simply defined as prejudice based on gender. It is perfect possible to be sexist towards men and I usual don't insult people only, but anyone who thinks otherwise is just simply being dim.

Because some would argue that to discriminate, you have to be in a position of power
Original post by Old_Simon
Lol. Why on earth is sexism to females "more harmful" ? Is anti white racism OK too ?

No it isn't. But it's less harmful than racism against ethnic minorities

Original post by DanB1991
And that view is the main problem with feminism.... they don't particular care about sexism against men because they don't see it as damaging.

They fail to realise being a man automatically can lower your quality of life, raise the chance of death and increase the likelihood of suicide and mental disorders due to sexism.

I see it as damaging. But not as bad. The difference between spraining your ankle and breaking your leg. Both bad, one is worse

Most of those problems are a result if patriarchy
I see it as damaging. But not as bad. The difference between spraining your ankle and breaking your leg. Both bad, one is worse

And what is worse though? The issues feminism claim, most of which apply equally to both genders in reality, are generally not as damaging as an individual loosing their life.

The ultimate right a person can loose is their life, and men, due to sexism have always experienced violence and early death on a much higher level than women.

And the feminist version of patriarchy, as a concept, has some massive flaws. Even then if you do think men have suffered under patriarchy surely you would accept that those men have the potentially to have suffered equally? It's very hypocritical to support an equality movement and then claim some people's issues are not as important as others based purely on their gender.

Is a man who is beaten by his wife any less deserving of help? Your statement that "Both bad, one is worse", how is his issue not as bad a a women getting beaten by her husband? And also how would that be caused by patriarchy?

at the end of the day that supports inequality not equality.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Because some would argue that to discriminate, you have to be in a position of power

No it isn't. But it's less harmful than racism against ethnic minorities

In what way isn't it as bad?

I'm male, and look somewhere around your age. In this power structure we have. What power do I have over you? You have the same rights, you have the same opportunities. Males may be physically stronger than most females, does that mean that the crimes commit by those females aren't so bad?

I don't understand.

If I raped you - that's rape
If you raped me - that's rape

It wouldn't be worse if a woman does it to a man.

Are you saying that woman are less powerful than men? Isn't that sexist?
Original post by AlphaTango
Are you saying that woman are less powerful than men? Isn't that sexist?

I'm saying that institutionally men have more power than women

But is that a result of men pushing women out?

I highly doubt it, more often than not it's due to the fact women put less value on career's and more value on family. Which whatever feminism say's is a more healthy and well rounded outlook on life.

Well that's true.

However from my personal experience; sexism, racism, equality, diversity etc have become such important issues to these institutions that actually its the stereo-typed white male that loses out because these institutions go out of their way to hire a more diverse population to escape negative publicity.
Reply 15
Men are institutionally more powerful than women, this isn't up for debate.

Also I'm not extreme. I would try and engage you but I doubt you'd be able to read what I'm writing from under your fedora

Honestly, I'm not really seeing how. I certainly don't feel like I have any power over my female peers and, having asked them, neither do they. I can't really think of anything I could do that they would be looked down upon for. In all likelihood, in my sector, they're more likely to be hired to fill quotas seeing as so many technology companies focus on "diversity" nowadays.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think it's right to point out that sexism does go both ways.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Yes women are physically inferior beings
It would actually take three or four female police officers to take me down

Try telling that to this woman: :colone:

I think if a person is made to feel like they're defined by their gender then it can be equally as harmful to men as it is to women. :dontknow: Sexism is sexism at the end of the day.

what do you mean

The slight error in the argument actually allows for it's extension.

If you shout "you're fired" to your boss, he laughs it off as a joke as there is little he can do about it.

If he shouts "you're fired" at you, you take a complaint to the appropriate regulatory body/sue for not being given notice/bullying in the workplace/abuse of power.

The point I'm getting at is that some would say measures to protect the underdog are disproportionate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending