The Student Room Group

How to be British?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GnomeMage
just....how?

Drink alcohol
Complain about the weather
Strip off your clothes when the sun comes out
Say you're not going to watch Big Brother/Britain's Got Talent/X-Factor but watch it anyway
Sip tea
Complain about immigration

Oh and have a a British passport
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Nah, I just don't really like British culture.

It's funny because from what I've discovered about you from your posts on here you are quintessentially British. The very fibre of your being and the people you live around has molded you into who you are. All of this has been done on UK soil. You are a product of this culture, whether you want to be self hating about or not.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Maker
Eat Indian curry, drink German beer, use Chinese phone, watch Australian TV, listen to American music, wear Italian clothes, holiday in Spain complain about foreigners.

- Yeah... food from these parts isn't very popular these days.

- German beer? You're missing out on the craft beer scene here in the UK. You'd be mad to do so. Even if you're not a fan of traditional or craft ale then Belgian beer definitely beats German beer anyway.

- Australian TV? What tv shows are you talking about? I could understand if you said American TV. HBO/AMC produce some of the most popular tv right now.

- 85% of my music is from UK artists and I imagine most people in the UK mostly listen to UK artists.

- Italian clothes? To be fair most people in the Western world wear clothes manufactured in Pakistan or Bangladesh.

- Holidays are a non point for Europeans. To go on holiday is to escape. No need to confine yourself to your very nation (completely different from those from large nations like the U.S, Canada, China, Brazil, etc.)

Your post doesn't seem relevant!
(edited 9 years ago)
Have a "cuppa" every hour? :nothing:
Original post by 29Bilal96
Become a football expert when the World Cup starts
Discuss the weather like there's no tomorrow
Accept that Freddo's are never going to be 10p again ;(

This 👏👏☝️☝️ and space invaders exploitation bruv.
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
It's funny because from what I've discovered about you from your posts on here you are quintessentially British. The very fibre of your being and the people you live around has molded you into who you are. All of this has been done on UK soil. You are a product of this culture, whether you want to be self hating about or not.

I'm not "quintessentially British", I'd like to know where you've got that from.

And I'm not self hating - I'm half British, not fully British, and I don't really like British culture. I'm entitled to have an opinion.
Reply 46
Definitely drinking, clubbing, curries and kebabs are part of it.
Moan and groan in every single situation possible, (especially when the sky turns grey) that we are THE worst of in the world at every single thing possible.
Reply 48

- German beer? You're missing out on the craft beer scene here in the UK. You'd be mad to do so. Even if you're not a fan of traditional or craft ale then Belgian beer definitely beats German beer anyway.

- Australian TV? What tv shows are you talking about? I could understand if you said American TV. HBO/AMC produce some of the most popular tv right now.

- 85% of my music is from UK artists and I imagine most people in the UK mostly listen to UK artists.

- Italian clothes? To be fair most people in the Western world wear clothes manufactured in Pakistan or Bangladesh.

- Holidays are a non point for Europeans. To go on holiday is to escape. No need to confine yourself to your very nation (completely different from those from large nations like the U.S, Canada, China, Brazil, etc.)

You are obviously a unique person.
How to be british?

British is a legal identity. You simply need to acquire the legal status of british.

90% of the food we eat is British. I refuse to buy meat from anywhere else because of the inadequate animal welfare standards in europe and the lower quality of the produce.

Any time we eat something non-british we specifically say it, like "chinese" or "indian".

dismissing british culture and naively thinking you'd be happier living elsewhere is itself a quintessentially british characteristic.
Not really possible without specifying which part of Britain you mean! So different between quintessentially English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish.
Original post by cole-slaw
dismissing british culture and naively thinking you'd be happier living elsewhere is itself a quintessentially british characteristic.

No it isn't. My dad's family are from a different country and I definitely think the culture is better than here. I've also been to a few countries myself, and always find the same thing - their culture is better than British culture. It's just my opinion and I don't understand why people are getting annoyed about it
No it isn't. My dad's family are from a different country and I definitely think the culture is better than here. I've also been to a few countries myself, and always find the same thing - their culture is better than British culture. It's just my opinion and I don't understand why people are getting annoyed about it

The grass is always greener
The grass is always greener

I see what you mean but honestly it's not that, it's that there are some elements of British culture that I think are abhorrent
I see what you mean but honestly it's not that, it's that there are some elements of British culture that I think are abhorrent

Meh, same with every culture.
Original post by Drewski
Complain about everything, but when someone non-British complains about the same thing, instantly defend those things with your life.

I'll complain about and later defend exactly what I want, thank you very much. If you don't like it, you know where the train to Calais departs from.
Meh, same with every culture.

Yeah so you have to pick the one which has the least annoying things for you
Yeah so you have to pick the one which has the least annoying things for you

Which will most likely be the culture you have grown up in and feel comfortable with.

Unless you have actually lived in a foreign country, you have no idea whether you will like it or not. A holiday, even a long one where you stay with friends etc, tells you next to nothing.

I've lived abroad, it was a fantastic experience but it also made me really understand and appreciate what makes the UK such a great place to live.

Quick Reply

Latest