The Student Room Group

Student Finance

Hi, I just have a quick question about student finance, and if anyone could help me that would be great.

I was born in the UK but I have a European passport so I clicked the option that I am not a UK national. If i had clicked yes, it asks me to provide details of my 'UK' passport, which I do not have so I had to click no. Now its asking what my UK residency group is and i put 'settled status'. I have no idea if this is right and i need some guidance on it. My parents have told me that this is what i should put, but then i have a friend who is saying its not right to put 'settled status' since i was born here which i understand.

Can someone please help?

Thank you
Original post by gabskebabss
Hi, I just have a quick question about student finance, and if anyone could help me that would be great.

I was born in the UK but I have a European passport so I clicked the option that I am not a UK national. If i had clicked yes, it asks me to provide details of my 'UK' passport, which I do not have so I had to click no. Now its asking what my UK residency group is and i put 'settled status'. I have no idea if this is right and i need some guidance on it. My parents have told me that this is what i should put, but then i have a friend who is saying its not right to put 'settled status' since i was born here which i understand.

Can someone please help?

Thank you

Being born in the UK doesn't automatically entitle you to British nationality or passport, so your friend is wrong. You may or may not be a British national (and therefore eligible for a passport) depending on your circumstances, when exactly you were born, your parents nationality, etc etc etc. You can easily check which rules regarding nationality apply to you in the Home Office's website, and you should also ask your parents on whether if you are a British national. And note that even if you may be eligible for British nationality (and therefore the passport), that doesn't happen automatically and you'd still need to apply for it.

Settled status refers to the EU settlement scheme, which is the thing that replaced EU citizen's right to live and work in the UK for those that were already in the UK before the Brexit transition period ended. You should ask your parents about this, they will know what status you have, and therefore what you should put in the form.

Also, since from the sounds of it, you are an EU citizen living in the UK and are now coming of age, it's a good idea to start familiarising yourself with this sort of stuff. It'll crop up every now and again in your life. Also worth considering if you'd like to become a British citizen and seeing how you'd go on about it.
(edited 1 month ago)
I can see you've had your query responded to. Any further questions then do let us know. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending