The Student Room Group

HELP: Private Science candidate concerned with practicals

I've planned to self-study Biology and Chemistry. I should have no problem getting into a private practical lab. However, my concern is whether I'll be able to register as a private science candidate without any school affiliation. I've been told that private candidates cannot do practicals.
Now, I would like to know if I can give lab practical exams if I register under British Council Bangladesh as a private candidate (with no school affiliation). To be more specific, I'd like to know how if I can add the practical subjects shown below in the cart.
Note.jpg
Original post by DustAndDisquiet
I've planned to self-study Biology and Chemistry. I should have no problem getting into a private practical lab. However, my concern is whether I'll be able to register as a private science candidate without any school affiliation. I've been told that private candidates cannot do practicals.
Now, I would like to know if I can give lab practical exams if I register under British Council Bangladesh as a private candidate (with no school affiliation). To be more specific, I'd like to know how if I can add the practical subjects shown below in the cart.
Note.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but you'll need some school or affiliation in order to sit the exams - without this it is impossible. As for the practicals as long as you complete the ones specified in the specifications, and this can be verified, then it won't be much of an issue.
Original post by brainzistheword
Correct me if I'm wrong but you'll need some school or affiliation in order to sit the exams - without this it is impossible. As for the practicals as long as you complete the ones specified in the specifications, and this can be verified, then it won't be much of an issue.

Would the British Council be considered a school? It has it's own centre number. Usually, private students register under British Council for their exams. But most of them do not take science subjects. I want to know if I'll be able to take practical subjects if I directly register under British Council.
Would the British Council be considered a school? It has it's own centre number. Usually, private students register under British Council for their exams. But most of them do not take science subjects. I want to know if I'll be able to take practical subjects if I directly register under British Council.

If it has a centre number then I believe this would be okay. Do you have any way of contacting them and clarifying this information?
Original post by brainzistheword
If it has a centre number then I believe this would be okay. Do you have any way of contacting them and clarifying this information?

I'll have to look for their number. Thanks for clarifying.
Reply 5
Have you considered doing a curriculum that does not have practical exams? I assume you're doing CIE but edexcel does not have practical exams
Original post by tgys44
Have you considered doing a curriculum that does not have practical exams? I assume you're doing CIE but edexcel does not have practical exams

Really late reply!
Edexcel doesn't have practicals yes but a lot of universities have practical experience requirements. Though that shouldn't be an obstacle for people studying under Edexcel as they would be provided the course, still thought it wouldn't be an issue.
An update: it is possible to give practical lab tests without school affiliation directly under British Council, as it is a centre and has a centre number. :smile:
Reply 8
An update: it is possible to give practical lab tests without school affiliation directly under British Council, as it is a centre and has a centre number. :smile:

Hey im an o level private candidate and im concerned how my practical physics exam would be taken? Do i have to do experiments in laboratory or its just written exam theories ?

Quick Reply

Latest