The Student Room Group

Why is there so much negativity about commuting to university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Psyc_Girl
What uni are you going to? My journey will take me about an hour or just under!

Perfect, not too much of a stretch! I'm off to kings what about you?
Reply 21
Original post by RFJ
Perfect, not too much of a stretch! I'm off to kings what about you?

Oh lovely! I'm off to City :smile:
Commuting is bad Mkay?
Reply 23
Oh lovely! I'm off to City :smile:

Wonderful! City's main building is lovely, the area is great too. Good luck :smile:
Reply 24
It depends on you, your course and what your home situation's like.

I decided to live on campus for my first year (last year) but realised quite quickly that as a mature 22 year old I had little in common with my 18 year old flat mates, and no desire to become best mates with them. I preferred to study in my room to in the library although it was nice to be a short walk away for getting books out. Also it was nice to have my own space and not have to travel to get to lectures.

This year I am commuting (an hour and a half to two hours on the bus) Because:

-I miss my boyfriend too much. I was travelling home at least every weekend to see him and it doesn't make sense for us both to pay rent and bills on separate places when half the time I wasn't even at my place. (commuting for the term costs me less than 2 weeks rent).

-I made friends on my course but most of them commute so I couldn't move in with them in the second year. One of the best friends I've made lives in my home town so we can get the bus together. I think commuting will motivate me to do more study- as in between lectures last year I would go back to my room and waste time, this year I hope to study, and also we can use half the time on the bus to study, the other half to read.

-I'm able to commit to part time work where as before I was spending my weekends traveling home to see people, these people I will now be able to see during the week.

-I don't like sharing a kitchen with other people. If my boyfriend makes a disgusting mess I can tell him to clean it up NOW, it's not the same with flat mates!!! Also having your whole life in one room does drive me a bit crazy, like I like to study and watch tv etc is a separate room to where I sleep..
Well I hate commuting because of the problem of my anxiety. I don't do well in packed transport, and I get up early when every one else is going to work.

Apart from that, I think it is possible to contribute to uni without living there, I mostly stay on campus from 9 am - 10 pm so I am there every bit as much as someone living there is, too.

You can contribute especially if you live close by, you can still do society stuff, tbh someone who commutes should stay at long hours at uni enough to be able to partake in uni life.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
Going on the underground for 20min in order to get to class...everybody needs to travel somehow........
Reply 27
I'm commuting and although I will probably miss the whole living in experience, I'll make friends with those who are, so won't totally miss out on the experience! So many people on my university's facebook page are saying that their student loan won't cover their total bill for the year living in!! Idk.. commuting isn't the end of the world and people's comments shouldn't be taken to seriously as it's only a few people's thoughts and your friends you make shouldn't feel like that :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by RFJ
Wonderful! City's main building is lovely, the area is great too. Good luck :smile:

Yeah it is, loved it when I visited :biggrin: thank you, good luck too :redface:
I'll be commuting just under an hour each way.. Hearing people complaining about their accommodation already is only making me feel like I made the right choice! I think it depends on the individual; if you're fine with the earlier starts than those living on campus and you're willing to put the graft in it shouldn't be an issue.
Original post by InsertWittyName
I just thought it was because most students are lazy. I like to roll out of bed in the mornings and fall into my lecture halls.

Lol am looking forward to this, used to have to get 2 trains to college. Now am going to live a minute away from where my study building is! Can't wait to get up 30 minutes before a lecture lol. I can't imagine having to commute anyway, travel times and limited independence would ruin the University experience for me, some people I know who commuted dropped out, that's how bad it can be.
And if you change your mind there is always next year or you could ask at the accommodation office if there are any free rooms it up to you enjoy City.

because of what i want to do i don't have that choice I HAVE to move out for uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
Commuting is the smart idea, why? because you get to save the money others are spending on rent. "Oh you won't have friends" piss off I know I will. When you commute you won't live on £60 a week and eat poor quality food. Think about that for a minute.
Original post by SammyHam
I'm going to be commuting and it's an hour drive to the university from my house. I know I'm going to get exhausted from all the driving and what not, but commuting is the right choice for me. I get sad a lot of the time that I'll be missing some of the university experience, but I'm going to learn, not to party. :cool:

You'll be missing a lot in the first year
Original post by SandmanMMA
Commuting is the smart idea, why? because you get to save the money others are spending on rent. "Oh you won't have friends" piss off I know I will. When you commute you won't live on £60 a week and eat poor quality food. Think about that for a minute.

Think about it yourself for a minute. Not everyone lives near a good uni. You will be especially lucky if your local uni is good in the subject you want to study. So most people have to make a decision. Commute to the local **** uni, or leave for a better one. Most commuters will not have made the best decision in regards to the uni they picked. If you can honestly say you have your lucky.

Your social life will be impacted, how can it not be? While your at home eating your dinner mummy cooked for you others are out fending for themselves, becoming independent and growing closer as a group. Yes this doesn't mean your going to live the rest of your life alone but you will never be as close to people as those who lived out. My 2 ex girlfriends lived out in Leicester and Brighton. Their houses were MENTAL, they had such a good time, I somehow don't think staying in watching eastenders with your folks will compare.

Oh and btw, I'm living out in the most expensive city in the UK outside of London and have over £200 a week to play with AFTER rent. Don't think I'll be living on super noodles somehow.
It depends really on your circumstances really and what you'd like to do, I know people who live within 1 hour of university and still decide to live out because they'd like to enjoy the experience. Whatever you prefer really
Original post by SandmanMMA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you feel it has impacted your social life in anyway or your ability to make friends?

Nope.

I've made 3 really good friends this year. :smile:
I choose to commute as my uni has the best graduate employment rate in the UK for my type of degree (engineering) above Cambridge, can't complain about that and its a 20~25 minute walk, closer than some halls as the uni has moved campus. For me it was a no brainer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RoundTrip
Think about it yourself for a minute. Not everyone lives near a good uni. You will be especially lucky if your local uni is good in the subject you want to study. So most people have to make a decision. Commute to the local **** uni, or leave for a better one. Most commuters will not have made the best decision in regards to the uni they picked. If you can honestly say you have your lucky.

Your social life will be impacted, how can it not be? While your at home eating your dinner mummy cooked for you others are out fending for themselves, becoming independent and growing closer as a group. Yes this doesn't mean your going to live the rest of your life alone but you will never be as close to people as those who lived out. My 2 ex girlfriends lived out in Leicester and Brighton. Their houses were MENTAL, they had such a good time, I somehow don't think staying in watching eastenders with your folks will compare.

Oh and btw, I'm living out in the most expensive city in the UK outside of London and have over £200 a week to play with AFTER rent. Don't think I'll be living on super noodles somehow.

What's yo beef with dem noodles? but i agree with everything else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending