The Student Room Group

University Accomodation

Hi all, I am going to be starting a medicine degree in September (hopefully, I have received an offer from BSMS and waiting on others). I have decided to commute for UCL and BSMS if I go to one of these, and live in halls for Lancaster and Keele. I understand that commuting 1 hour and bit each way to UCL and BSMS can be difficult, especially early on and as a medic, not even thinking about the train delays or strikes that could happen. If I wanted to move into halls during my first year, would that be possible? It's only really first year and second year I am worrying about, as I will probably try and move in with friends for 3rd, 4th and 5th year (6th year aswell for UCL) as placements begin.
It may be possible, but you might find it preferable to go at the start of thr year. Thr whole getting to know eachother and work well as a cohort thing works out much easier if you are in halls.

You might be able to pick up a halls residence halfway through the year I somebody has moved out. But it may not be 100% an option. Rents in Brighton and London are quite high though so I suspect you won't be alone commuting, but few will be commuting that amount of time.

Timetabling is an important question to ask at offer holder days. How long each day are you supposed be in? Is it one hour at thr start and an hour at the end. An hour in the middle. All of these will make it a bit of a faff.
Hi, I'm also planning to commute to BSMS (from London, planning to be able to drive by then to make it easier). It's definitely not uncommon, a friend of mine commuted for first year (nursing at Uni of Brighton) because she had a few reasons why she couldn't move out. She did get accommodation for second year. You could always call and ask admissions about moving to hall midyear, because I know priority is given to first year students.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending