The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lots of hugs to Craggy and apotoftea. I'm sure you will both get through it and do great. The last few months are the toughest, from what I've heard (but also the ones when you think "there's no way I can stop now, not after these last few years"!).

Best of luck to both of you!
Original post by Ethereal
moan away

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You moan away if you need to hun, that's what we're here for! Sorry for my lame-ass replies - obviously having not started yet and not being in the midst of PhDness, there's only so much I can say :colondollar: But always happy to give squishy TLG hugs (which are the best type of hugs, FYI) :yep:

Original post by Cora Lindsay
It's almost inevitable. There's a lot of good advice in the last couple of pages, so hang on in there. We always see the weaknesses in what we do, far more than the positives, so you are not the most objective judge of your own work.

Original post by Puck_1991
Lots of hugs to Craggy and apotoftea. I'm sure you will both get through it and do great. The last few months are the toughest, from what I've heard (but also the ones when you think "there's no way I can stop now, not after these last few years"!).

Best of luck to both of you!

Thanks all. I'll be damned if I'm quitting, though it is tempting!

Also got some teaching to plan will make a nice change!
Original post by apotoftea

Also got some teaching to plan will make a nice change!

Teaching plan:

1) go to tutorial;
2) ask a couple of questions to test if they have done the reading;
3) tell them at university they are responsible for self-directed learning;
4) kick them out;
5) brew and a slice of cake.

There you go.
First meeting with supervisor went alright! :biggrin:

Teaching plan:

1) go to tutorial;
4) kick them out;

There you go.

:teehee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
First meeting with supervisor went alright! :biggrin:

:teehee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does this mean im technically grumpy enough for hear now :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
Does this mean im technically grumpy enough for hear now :getmecoat:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hi:

Well you're a graduate so if you're sufficiently grumpy, you're in :mad:

:tongue:
Teaching plan:

1) go to tutorial;
4) kick them out;

There you go.

Oh how I wish it was that easy haha :biggrin: :colone:
:hi:

Well you're a graduate so if you're sufficiently grumpy, you're in :mad:

:tongue:

Im deffo grumpy :yep:
haha
Original post by apotoftea
Oh how I wish it was that easy haha :biggrin: :colone:

PRSOM!

Though, today I taught Northanger Abbey with about that much preparation after a really horrific weekend. Thankfully, I know it fairly well already and my students are fantastic this semester and really carried the class.
Original post by madamemerle
really horrific weekend...

:frown: :console: :jumphug:
PRSOM!

Though, today I taught Northanger Abbey with about that much preparation after a really horrific weekend. Thankfully, I know it fairly well already and my students are fantastic this semester and really carried the class.

Glad it went well and :jumphug:
Glad it went well and :jumphug:

:frown: :console: :jumphug:

Thanks a lot guys.

I don't want to say too much here, but someone in my department died suddenly, a friend, and I'm sitting down here in the coffee shop because I'm feeling panicky about going upstairs to my department because it's going to be very weird and upsetting, and I don't particularly want to grieve openly with people cos it feels weird.
Thanks a lot guys.

I don't want to say too much here, but someone in my department died suddenly, a friend, and I'm sitting down here in the coffee shop because I'm feeling panicky about going upstairs to my department because it's going to be very weird and upsetting, and I don't particularly want to grieve openly with people cos it feels weird.

:jumphug:

I'm not the best for these things but if you wanna inbox me, you can send a PM if that would help at all. Really sorry for the loss of your colleague :frown:
Thanks a lot guys.

Really, really sorry for your loss. If you need to talk or just vent feel free to PM.
Thanks a lot guys.

So sorry :frown:

I lost a friend/colleague to illness last year and it still feels wrong... there's a big gap. Grieving with colleagues is really weird like you say, you're all trying to be brave because it's a professional work situation and yet nobody's doing any work anyway...

Thinking of you x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks a lot guys.

Really sorry to hear that. :hugs:
Thanks a lot guys.

Huge :hugs: so sorry to hear that...

After discussion with my placement supervisor (not research) I can no longer bury my head in the sand of the task ahead of deciding on research and doing it in less than two years...
:console: madamerle. Cake? :cake:
Reply 9478
Thanks a lot guys.

That's awful :sad: . Big hugs to you. :console:
Really, really sorry for your loss. If you need to talk or just vent feel free to PM.

Original post by Jantaculum
So sorry :frown:

I lost a friend/colleague to illness last year and it still feels wrong... there's a big gap. Grieving with colleagues is really weird like you say, you're all trying to be brave because it's a professional work situation and yet nobody's doing any work anyway...

Thinking of you x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by llacerta
Really sorry to hear that. :hugs:

Original post by *Interrobang*
Huge :hugs: so sorry to hear that...

After discussion with my placement supervisor (not research) I can no longer bury my head in the sand of the task ahead of deciding on research and doing it in less than two years...

Original post by Craghyrax
:console: madamerle. Cake? :cake:

Original post by sj27
That's awful :sad: . Big hugs to you. :console:

Thanks so much everyone.

Jantaculum, yes that hole feels very shocking right now. That's part of the reason I didn't want to go up, and walk past his desk etc, it's like that gap has physical presence.

Anyway...Thanks again, everyone. This will be a hard thing for my department to deal with...I think the next couple of weeks will be rough.

Latest

Trending

Trending