The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nynyflower
Quietly subscribing.

Hey I remember you from the LDR Soc :smile: How are you?
Original post by *Interrobang*
Hey I remember you from the LDR Soc :smile: How are you?

I'm ok thank you! Had a very busy year in Bath and finally settled down in a graduate job (of sorts, it's not a scheme) and have a flat of my own, so that's all rosy.

How's your course going?
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm ok thank you! Had a very busy year in Bath and finally settled down in a graduate job (of sorts, it's not a scheme) and have a flat of my own, so that's all rosy.

How's your course going?

That's good :smile: Are you enjoying your job?

Course is going well thanks :smile: it's just busy cos I've got to do placement and try and work out what to do my thesis on too!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Kitty Pimms
I think I'm going to put in an order for some thermals from M&S. They do sell winter stuff here, but it usually doesn't appear until later in the winter (I'm just a wimp). I think generally though the 'other two' nations seem to be more fashion-conscious than your lot - I am always mystified by how the women aren't freezing their tits off in the attire of choice. What is even funnier is the difference in underpants. When I first landed on the east side of the bridge I tried to buy some plain back pants - no dice, the shops are full of lacy pink thongs (seriously, I haven't looked at the women the same way since). What I should have done is gone over the bridge, where all the pants and bras are practical grey sculptural things :tongue:

Yeah, people here are definitely very practical in terms of clothes. Suits me fine! Tbh I still buy most of my underwear from M&S whenever I'm home.

Original post by Helenia
Subscribing,

Baking-minded GOGs may be interested in my latest adventure - tried to make ginger sticky toffee pudding with parsnip and courgette (from a recipe, I wasn't just making it up!) as we had those left over from our last veg box. Not a success. The sponge was alright, but I didn't cover it in foil for the last half hour as the recipe said, because we'd run out, so the top was too hard, and the sauce, which was the most normal bit of the recipe and didn't feature any vegetables, was neither sticky not very toffee-y. Must try harder...

I love courgette cake so that sounds like an intriguing recipe. Maybe try another time with tinfoil and a different sauce recipe?
Few long days of working and I was finding it really hard to see what progress I had made, now I took a step back and was like yeeeeeeeah, actually looks like I did a lot now :u:
Hooray, hello GoGs! Love the name SJ :biggrin: and hello to newbies.

I shouldn't really be here at all as I'm not studying these days but I like to keep popping back now and again.

I told work about my new job, and they want time to 'counter offer'. So I haven't technically resigned yet. Sigh.
Original post by Little Jules

I shouldn't really be here at all as I'm not studying these days but I like to keep popping back now and again.

I told work about my new job, and they want time to 'counter offer'. So I haven't technically resigned yet. Sigh.

It's a graduate soc, not a post-grad students soc so of course you should be here :mad:

What Ethy said :yep:

Urgh about the 'counter offer' thing. That sounds frustrating :console:
Reply 48

:ditto: re graduate soc and ...wow, nice that they want to counter offer... They like you and want to keep you. (Though generally my attitude towards counter offers is: if you like me this much £, why weren't you paying me that before? )
Original post by Ethereal
It's a graduate soc, not a post-grad students soc so of course you should be here :mad:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
What Ethy said :yep:

Urgh about the 'counter offer' thing. That sounds frustrating :console:

Original post by sj27
:ditto: re graduate soc and ...wow, nice that they want to counter offer... They like you and want to keep you. (Though generally my attitude towards counter offers is: if you like me this much £, why weren't you paying me that before? )

I am still here, so don't worry :biggrin:

It's lovely that they want to keep me, and I do really like my boss and (some of) the people I work with. But the reality is that I don't think they can change my job in a way to make it worth my staying, I think this will be a good move. I'm going to have to push my boss on this tomorrow so I don't end up pushing my leaving date back too long!
Original post by sunflowerprint
Ditto that, I'm third year engineering and the last few nights I've got off my laptop and literally felt ready to collapse in a heap (may or may not have laid face first on the floor after yesterday's efforts....) :colondollar:

I often felt like that during my degree...

... And often feel like that after work now, too.

Still couldn't imagine myself doing anything else, though. :biggrin:

What discipline of engineering are you in?
Original post by Piggsil

I love courgette cake so that sounds like an intriguing recipe. Maybe try another time with tinfoil and a different sauce recipe?

I redid the sauce tonight and heated the sponge in a bain marie in the oven, was considerably better. The sponge is actually quite nice as a cake on its own too!
Original post by *Interrobang*
That's good :smile: Are you enjoying your job?

Course is going well thanks :smile: it's just busy cos I've got to do placementand try and work out what to do my thesis on too!

Yeah I am. At times it's a bit like data entry with a bit of GIS but I get the opportunity to do other stuff as well. Environmental Scientist isn't really a good job title as I actually work in the construction department and do all sorts of stuff to do with planning and consents. No science at all! Shame really.

That does sound busy! Good luck with it all.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by QHF
Sounds rough, but good on you for getting right back to it! I hope you don't need to worry about the 'credibility' of your degree -- life has knocked any tendency to take these things at face value out of me.

I'm just starting the third year of a PhD in English, and I'm tired all the time.

Original post by Salchow
Great news on the discharge :smile: My ice skating coach is doing the same masters as you, just though I'd tell you :tongue:

Well I'm a graduate turned undergrad again. I have a degree in Education Studies plus a PGCE. I taught for two years and then ditched it to start a degree in nursing, which is what I'd always wanted to do but health reasons stopped me back then. So yeah, just started my second year and pooing it basically.

Original post by llacerta
Ah, a fellow psychologist! :biggrin: Did you do psychology as an undergrad too? And as far as I'm concerned, an area of research is credible if it's what you want to do- which clearly it is! A good friend of mine has done a similar MSc in Sports Psychology at Brunel and it's helped her get the job she wants so that's the important thing.

Sorry to hear about your struggles but well done for getting back into studying again. :smile:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:hi:

We've met already on MHSS I believe! But I'm Shan, the yodelling goatherd and token muso. Just started a PhD at Royal Holloway and am enjoying it very much (although slightly scared of supervisor, who is, like, the coolest female academic since the infamous Susan McClary /ramble ) :h:

Your subject sounds fascinating, so no need to put yourself or your subject down at all! :h:

Original post by madamemerle
Welcome Liv!

I'm a 4th year English/American Studies PhD student:hello:

Original post by sj27
:rofl:

And hi Liv, and welcome to the thread. I started explaining my situation but it got too complicated so let's just leave it at: I'm doing a master's in international relations currently :laugh:

Thanks all, much appreciated, and hi to all! How are you finding your PhDs? That's what I'm hoping to do after my MSc, but we shall see how that goes (funding and all that...!)

I did indeed do Psychology (with Clinical Psych; basically just the straight Psych degree but with two modules in Clinical Psych in final year), nice to meet some fellow psychologists! What are your main interests in psychology? I'm currently trying to work out my dissertation ideas, so reading about attribution theory! My supervisor is awesome and before I intermitted he said he wants me to get a publication from my diss (if possible!), so there's my goal to work towards! [If I can get some motivation back...]
Reply 54
Original post by Helenia
I redid the sauce tonight and heated the sponge in a bain marie in the oven, was considerably better. The sponge is actually quite nice as a cake on its own too!

Ooh reheating in a bain marie is genius! I never would have though of that. Glad it turned out well in the end.
Original post by Piggsil
Ooh reheating in a bain marie is genius! I never would have though of that. Glad it turned out well in the end.

I mostly did that because we don't have a microwave any more - it got left behind when we moved house. Worked nicely though!
Yeah I am. At times it's a bit like data entry with a bit of GIS but I get the opportunity to do other stuff as well. Environmental Scientist isn't really a good job title as I actually work in the construction department and do all sorts of stuff to do with planning and consents. No science at all! Shame really.

That does sound busy! Good luck with it all.

Sounds good :smile: one of my friends did ES for a water company
Original post by Liv1204
Thanks all, much appreciated, and hi to all! How are you finding your PhDs? That's what I'm hoping to do after my MSc, but we shall see how that goes (funding and all that...!)

I did indeed do Psychology (with Clinical Psych; basically just the straight Psych degree but with two modules in Clinical Psych in final year), nice to meet some fellow psychologists! What are your main interests in psychology? I'm currently trying to work out my dissertation ideas, so reading about attribution theory! My supervisor is awesome and before I intermitted he said he wants me to get a publication from my diss (if possible!), so there's my goal to work towards! [If I can get some motivation back...]

One of our uni tutors did his thesis on attributions around behaviour in school which was interesting :smile:
Original post by sj27

Ditto. When I left my old job and my colleague also got a postdoc a few days later, they offered him both of our jobs as a full time role (we had been part time). He said no, I am happy to say. I don't think it was underhanded or unfair of them (they had their own financial realities to deal with and were never anything but honest about that), but I did feel very strongly that it shouldn't take someone else spelling out your value and capabilities for your current employer to see it. (Most of the people I worked with were excellent, really supportive and really nice - and my direct line manager told me I flat out had to take the job because it offered much better opportunities. However, one of the senior people in the school - who is an idiot - told me not to bother applying because I wasn't qualified enough and didn't stand a chance, so **** him.)
I vote 'Moanland', 'The Moans Of It', or 'The Walking Moans' for VIII

EDIT: Oooh, 'Doctor Moan'
Reply 59
Original post by Liv1204

For all that I complain about being tired I am enjoying the PhD and it really has changed how I think and how I treat knowledge -- I hope for the better. And it has given me a lot of experience managing myself. I've discovered that I am an occasionally wonderful and generally very frustrating subordinate.

Latest

Trending

Trending