The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why did Scz come charging out for their second goal? He's done that a lot this season and pretty much concedes a goal every time. 2nd choice for me.
Chez thinks he's Neuer :lol:

I understand now the persistent rumours of us looking at other keepers from way back now even when he was playing relatively well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tom_Ford
Chez thinks he's Neuer :lol:

I understand now the persistent rumours of us looking at other keepers from way back now even when he was playing relatively well.

Flapped at some crosses / corners yesterday too. Disappointing performance, I was hoping he would come out fighting for his place but it was the same old mistakes.
Reply 243
Don't want to start blaming for it. Fact is he just doesn't have the right mentality to play for a top side and it's evident the pressure gets to him. You start to doubt if he's even going to be good enough as a cup keeper seeing as being displaced by Ospina will be a massive blow to his confidence.
He's still got time on his side if he he gets his head down and works hard. Will be a tough test of his character though.
Original post by Zürich
Pretty sure Joel Campbell has played his last game for Arsenal, Wenger just doesnt fancy him. £1m loan fee and probably another £10m from Sociedad or whoever in the summer is decent business for a player who will always find it hard to get game time with Walcott, Sanchez, Welbeck, Cazorla, AOC etc occupying his position.

To me, he looks like more of a scrapper than anything and lacks the finesse to be an Arsenal attacker. For Costa Rica etc it suited him but that's not what Wenger is looking for imo. Should stick a sell on clause in like we did with Vela, these things have a habit of paying off.

This. Left footed attackers are quite coveted nowadays.
Sickening feeling we're getting United for the draw this evening.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Sickening feeling we're getting United for the draw this evening.

Nope. You'll get Crystal Palace and United will get Derby County. Thats what im predicting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/the-inestimable-joy-of-tomas-rosicky-101320394.html

The inestimable joy of Tomas Rosicky

''Football yearns for players who are different. Who if they were a silhouette on the pitch, would still be instantly recognisable thanks to their gait and touch and the way they make a football move. Rosicky is one such player.

It is the way he twists and turns, full of creative possibility; the way potential energy becomes kinetic as he passes, prods and pushes the ball in his distinctive manner, through all kinds of gaps and via all kinds of angles and trajectories; and, like a native tribesman utilising every part of an animal carcass, the way no part of his boot goes to waste: instep, heel, toe, laces and, most gloriously, the outside as he audaciously sends a cross-field pass soaring across the turf.''

Quite interesting that both Cazorla and Rosicky are playing at their peaks atm now that Ozil is back. Impossible to play all 3 and imo Cazorla/Ozil has never quite worked, not enough movement off the ball and running for there to be synergies. Ramsey last season provided the running to compensate and Sanchez/Walcott do it hugely tbf so maybe we can play Caz/Ozil

Rosicky + 1 for me :smile:

Incidentally, this also pretty much confirms what we already knew about not signing Cesc being the correct decision. We dont lack creativity through the middle at all
(edited 9 years ago)
Liverpool vs united
Arsenal vs West ham

- is what I want.

Id take west hame at home where I have confidence we can beat them, and eliminate a difficult contender.. and united vs liverpool at anfield would be awesome. Replay please, then a liverpool victory... to give them both that extra fixture.
Original post by jam277
This. Left footed attackers are quite coveted nowadays.

Yeah true.

Quite stunning that Greizmann didnt attract more suitors over the summer for £24m incidentally
Original post by fallen_acorns
Liverpool vs united
Arsenal vs West ham

- is what I want.

Id take west hame at home where I have confidence we can beat them, and eliminate a difficult contender.. and united vs liverpool at anfield would be awesome. Replay please, then a liverpool victory... to give them both that extra fixture.

I think you've forgotton that United arent in Europe or the COC. An added fixture wont be so bad for us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zürich
Yeah true.

Quite stunning that Greizmann didnt attract more suitors over the summer for £24m incidentally

Yeah. Mourinho definitely missed a trick in not going for him. Guy has been beast mode past few months for Atlético.
Original post by jam277
Yeah. Mourinho definitely missed a trick in not going for him. Guy has been beast mode past few months for Atlético.

Not just Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal, City would all have been hugely improved by him.

Wenger disappoints me because I'd like to think Greizmann being an Alsatian Frenchman as well would have been keen to play for him.

Sanchez
Greizmann Ozil Walcott

Original post by fallen_acorns
Liverpool vs united
Arsenal vs West ham

- is what I want.

Tbh any home draw would be relatively OK. Obviously we always seem to find a way to lose vs Utd, no matter how much we outplay them, but sooner or later we have to get the result we deserve. And they are proper pony really.

We are very likely to get a straightforward draw tbh, and I think we will win the Cup again or at least make it to Wem-be-ley :smile:
We can win any game except for United away, so I'm hopeful for the draw.

Not watching The One Show though, what a load of BS.
Original post by Arkasia
We can win any game except for United away, so I'm hopeful for the draw.

Not watching The One Show though, what a load of BS.

Even Stoke away? :tongue:

Original post by Zürich
Not just Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal, City would all have been hugely improved by him.

I am absolutely baffled as to why we weren't in for Griezmann or Sanchez. We're crying out for another wide player.
Reply 257
Original post by Zürich
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/the-inestimable-joy-of-tomas-rosicky-101320394.html

The inestimable joy of Tomas Rosicky

''Football yearns for players who are different. Who if they were a silhouette on the pitch, would still be instantly recognisable thanks to their gait and touch and the way they make a football move. Rosicky is one such player.

It is the way he twists and turns, full of creative possibility; the way potential energy becomes kinetic as he passes, prods and pushes the ball in his distinctive manner, through all kinds of gaps and via all kinds of angles and trajectories; and, like a native tribesman utilising every part of an animal carcass, the way no part of his boot goes to waste: instep, heel, toe, laces and, most gloriously, the outside as he audaciously sends a cross-field pass soaring across the turf.''

Quite interesting that both Cazorla and Rosicky are playing at their peaks atm now that Ozil is back. Impossible to play all 3 and imo Cazorla/Ozil has never quite worked, not enough movement off the ball and running for there to be synergies. Ramsey last season provided the running to compensate and Sanchez/Walcott do it hugely tbf so maybe we can play Caz/Ozil

Rosicky + 1 for me :smile:

Incidentally, this also pretty much confirms what we already knew about not signing Cesc being the correct decision. We dont lack creativity through the middle at all

Only chance we could ever make Sanchez/Walcott work with Cazorla/Ozil is if we go back to 4-1-4-1 but even then I'd doubt it being very effective. It'd be naive to expect a similar performance from Cazorla to play the way he did vs city, in every game, so defensively we'd be done for. Cazorla thrives in the central role opposed to being shunted to the left wing, but if you give him that role then is there any real reason to play Ozil over Ramsey? Only reason we did play it last season was because we had a lack of options on the wing. Podolski + Walcott being injured at the start of the season (and obviously not having Welbeck/Sanchez) meant Cazorla/Ozil or Ozil/Rosicky were one of the few and only options we had.

Loving this 4-3-3 set up though. Put one of Ozil or Cazorla in the middle 3 with Ramsey Coquelin behind and we're ok defensively, then with two wingers up front our attacking play has looked much faster on the whole this season, compared to last.
Original post by sr90

I am absolutely baffled as to why we weren't in for Griezmann or Sanchez. We're crying out for another wide player.

It is odd, but then Utd's transfer strategy is quite disjointed when you consider how much you have to spend. Thing is Greizmann is still relatively attainable as an A.Madrid player so odds are he'll be on his merry way to City/Utd/Chelsea before long anyway.
Original post by sr90

Yeah that 3-2 Stoke game was horrific but not a long term issue. Just like us getting dicked by the Scousers in the league last year, but beating them in the FA Cup run. Old Trafford is the only impossible game left in for us.

Latest