The Student Room Group

Stanford University or University of Cambridge?

Hey all,

I have an unconditional offer from University of Cambridge and an offer from Stanford University. I wish to pursue Computer Science and Mathematics. I am from an asian country so both the universities will be international for me. It would be great if you guys could provide your opinions as to which one to choose. I do not wish to work after undergraduate. I will continue with education. So working environment isn't a factor for me. Do give reasons for the university you suggest.

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Stanford, higher starting salaries, better for computer science and you are exposed to the huge tech sector in the US as well as an entrepreneurial culture and a lot of funding. On top of that the weather is better there.

The jobs are better in silicon valley, salaries are higher and they are desperately in need of talent there as well.

I have to mention these things even though you mentioned you want to continue with education afterwards since you might change your mind.

If you want to go into academia then the differences are smaller since Cambridge is world leading at Maths and great at CS as well.
Cambridge also offers a lot of entrepreneurial exposure because of silicon fen. Google and Apple have started buying startups in fen and the growth potential is great. What I understand from your post is that stanford will give me more exposure and job opportunities. As far as academia is concerned, isn't Cambridge substantially more rigorous than Stanford?
Original post by programmer<3
Cambridge also offers a lot of entrepreneurial exposure because of silicon fen. Google and Apple have started buying startups in fen and the growth potential is great. What I understand from your post is that stanford will give me more exposure and job opportunities. As far as academia is concerned, isn't Cambridge substantially more rigorous than Stanford?

Stanford is top 3 for CS in the US, if you think practically, you could never go wrong with Stanford in terms of Academia. It has plenty more Turing Award winners on staff than Cambridge does, Cambridge is better at Maths though.

Silicon Fen pales in comparison to Silicon Valley can we be realistic, if you had to option between the real thing and the copy which would you choose? No offense but this is the reality. In Computer Science in general, the US has led the way by far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_University_Computer_Science
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Turing_Award_laureates_by_university_affiliation
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Okorange
Stanford is top 3 for CS in the US, if you think practically, you could never go wrong with Stanford in terms of Academia. It has plenty more Turing Award winners on staff than Cambridge does, Cambridge is better at Maths though.

Silicon Fen pales in comparison to Silicon Valley can we be realistic, if you had to option between the real thing and the copy which would you choose? No offense but this is the reality. In Computer Science in general, the US has led the way by far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_University_Computer_Science
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Turing_Award_laureates_by_university_affiliation

I agree with you about silicon fen being smaller than silicon valley. As for Turing award winners, their presence doesn't necessarily impact the undergraduate education that I will receive at either of the institutes. That factor influences PhD and Grad students more. As for academia, don't you think that Cambridge's style of education will provide for more interaction with faculty and consequently more undergraduate research opportunities. Also, the gap between Stanford and Cambridge CS isn't as big as the gap between Cambridge and Stanford math. What would you say about that?
I agree with you about silicon fen being smaller than silicon valley. As for Turing award winners, their presence doesn't necessarily impact the undergraduate education that I will receive at either of the institutes. That factor influences PhD and Grad students more. As for academia, don't you think that Cambridge's style of education will provide for more interaction with faculty and consequently more undergraduate research opportunities. Also, the gap between Stanford and Cambridge CS isn't as big as the gap between Cambridge and Stanford math. What would you say about that?

To be honest I don't know what you are going to want to do afterwards, without that knowledge I can't really recommend anything. You say you want academia but you don't have a specific interest and even if I knew I wouldn't be sure you would pursue that in the end. Honestly, just pick a uni like every other undergraduate, where do you want to live and work? That should help you decide.
To be honest I don't know what you are going to want to do afterwards, without that knowledge I can't really recommend anything. You say you want academia but you don't have a specific interest and even if I knew I wouldn't be sure you would pursue that in the end. Honestly, just pick a uni like every other undergraduate, where do you want to live and work? That should help you decide.

I want to go into research in theoretical computer science. As for living and working, I will decide that once I complete undergrad. I will pursue my grad in US if i feel like working there or UK if otherwise. As of now, my only focus is the quality of education I receive in undergrad. Therefore, fen, valley, jobs, weather, etc are factors I am not giving importance to.
Hey all,

I have an unconditional offer from University of Cambridge and an offer from Stanford University. I wish to pursue Computer Science and Mathematics. I am from an asian country so both the universities will be international for me. It would be great if you guys could provide your opinions as to which one to choose. I do not wish to work after undergraduate. I will continue with education. So working environment isn't a factor for me. Do give reasons for the university you suggest.

Thank you.

Stanford, higher starting salaries, better for computer science and you are exposed to the huge tech sector in the US as well as an entrepreneurial culture and a lot of funding. On top of that the weather is better there.

The jobs are better in silicon valley, salaries are higher and they are desperately in need of talent there as well.

I have to mention these things even though you mentioned you want to continue with education afterwards since you might change your mind.

If you want to go into academia then the differences are smaller since Cambridge is world leading at Maths and great at CS as well.

Check the above. Stanford is a top university, there is a lot entrepreneurial spirit and many cool initiatives like MOOCs and student projects are taking place over there.

Choose Stanford. It's a no brainer.
Original post by Juichiro
Check the above. Stanford is a top university, there is a lot entrepreneurial spirit and many cool initiatives like MOOCs and student projects are taking place over there.

Choose Stanford. It's a no brainer.

"Stanford is a top university" -- are you saying Cambridge isn't? Cambridge probably holds more reputation and prestige.

"Entrepreneurial...." -- i do agree with this point. However, this factor doesn't concern me that much since my focus is a strong undergrad education with research opportunities. And as i said, gap between stan and cam cs isn't as big as the gap between cam and stan math.
"Stanford is a top university" -- are you saying Cambridge isn't? Cambridge probably holds more reputation and prestige.

"Entrepreneurial...." -- i do agree with this point. However, this factor doesn't concern me that much since my focus is a strong undergrad education with research opportunities. And as i said, gap between stan and cam cs isn't as big as the gap between cam and stan math.

No, I am not saying that but Stanford has several well known educational initiatives that Cambridge does not seem to have. Plus the big unis in America gets lots of funding from the government plus all the money they get from sports. Oxbridge does not get that much money. And that money unis can use to improve the students experience.

:redface:
I don't understand why people ask for advice or anything when they have the answer already.

You obviously want to go to Cambridge, so go there.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I don't understand why people ask for advice or anything when they have the answer already.

That's not true. I am just examining each factor very meticulously. I will be spending tons of money in the next 4 years wherever I go. That's why I am debating on each point.

It's quite a nice problem to have though :tongue:
Cambridge will be less expensive for you because of the cheaper fees. If money is a concern for you then you might as well choose Cambridge. Personally I would choose Cambridge.
Can't QUOTE you because you have the stupid heart thingy, but you keep shooting down any pro for stanford. So it's evident you want to go to Cambridge. Maybe I'll see you there :wink:

Original post by Patrick2810
It's quite a nice problem to have though :tongue:

A nice problem to share with many people indeed :lol:
Can't QUOTE you because you have the stupid heart thingy, but you keep shooting down any pro for stanford. So it's evident you want to go to Cambridge. Maybe I'll see you there :wink:

I shot down the pros becuase I felt they lacked substantia. I do agree with the valley point but as I said, it's not my concern.
I shot down the pros becuase I felt they lacked substantia. I do agree with the valley point but as I said, it's not my concern.

you wanna stay in academia or do something highly numerate- Cambridge
you wanna form a start-up/be an entrepeneur - Stanford
I'd choose Harvard/Yale/Princeton/MIT/Stanford over Oxbridge anyday.(not that I got the choice:tongue:)
I think you'll get a more well-rounded education at Stanford and I'm not sure but isn't the US miles better for graduate research? Stanford also seems like it would be more chill than Cambridge.
Though of course it depends on which country you prefer. Excellent situation to be in either way

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sellerofdreams
I'd choose Harvard/Yale/Princeton/MIT/Stanford over Oxbridge anyday.(not that I got the choice:tongue:)
I think you'll get a more well-rounded education at Stanford and I'm not sure but isn't the US miles better for graduate research? Stanford also seems like it would be more chill than Cambridge.
Though of course it depends on which country you prefer. Excellent situation to be in either way

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge and mit have the Cambridge-mit institute establishment which allows for easy grad tranfer to mit after my course in Cambridge. American grad schools are great. But isn't Cambridge widely regarded as very prestigious for grad due to Gates scholarship?
I have a nagging feeling that OP doesn't have any of these offers and is just trolling. Someone actually looking to make a decision would not be provoking debate, but would be asking for advice....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending