The Student Room Group

South Carolina Police Officer shoots dead unarmed black man

A white South Carolina police officer has been charged with murder after video emerged of him shooting a black man running away from him. State investigators arrested North Charleston police officer Michael Slager on Tuesday after viewing the mobile phone video of the shooting. Authorities say victim Walter Lamer Scott was shot after the officer had already targeted him with a stun gun.

The US Department of Justice is set to launch an investigation.

"When you're wrong, you're wrong," North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey said, announcing the arrest. "When you make a bad decision, I don't care if you're behind the shield or a citizen on the street, you have to live with that decision."

Police officers in the US fatally shoot and kill hundreds of people each year, but only a handful of cases result in the officer facing criminal charges.

The incident on Saturday began after Scott's car was stopped for having a broken rear light, local media reported. A video of the incident published by the New York Times shows a brief scuffle before Scott begins running away. The video then shows the officer firing several shots at Scott, who falls to the ground.

Scroll to see replies

I wonder how the right wingers will defend this. If he's running away, he's not an immediate danger to anyone. He fires EIGHT shots which is excessive anyway.
Original post by TornadoGR4
A white South Carolina police officer has been charged with murder after video emerged of him shooting a black man running away from him. State investigators arrested North Charleston police officer Michael Slager on Tuesday after viewing the mobile phone video of the shooting. Authorities say victim Walter Lamer Scott was shot after the officer had already targeted him with a stun gun.

The US Department of Justice is set to launch an investigation.

"When you're wrong, you're wrong," North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey said, announcing the arrest. "When you make a bad decision, I don't care if you're behind the shield or a citizen on the street, you have to live with that decision."

Police officers in the US fatally shoot and kill hundreds of people each year, but only a handful of cases result in the officer facing criminal charges.

The incident on Saturday began after Scott's car was stopped for having a broken rear light, local media reported. A video of the incident published by the New York Times shows a brief scuffle before Scott begins running away. The video then shows the officer firing several shots at Scott, who falls to the ground.

This sickens me, but at least he's being prosecuted this time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Prison is going to be fun for that police officer.
What about the other hundred cops who shot unarmed black people?
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
What about the other hundred cops who shot unarmed black people?

No video footage of them, so it's white cop's word vs. dead black person's word
Standard day in The Land of the Free.
This murderer would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for the brave person who filmed it all. He even dropped his taser on the guy's body to make it look like he was disarmed. What a scumbag...
Reply 8
Theft is a sin. He got what he deserved. The cop had every right to protect himself from a sinner. The thief is now facing the wrath of the lord, and he will spend eternity in Hell.
Reply 9
The victim didn't deserve being accused of stealing a taser. That cover-up attempt is probably what got the cop (rightly) charged.

You don't run away from a cop though, that's just asking to get shot. Not in the back but the legs maybe?
(edited 9 years ago)
Have you guys actually seen the video? I have, and its just straight murder, you can even see him planting something on the corpse after.

hes been charged with murder anyway

There is no way he can claim that was self defence, and planting the tazer made it worse.

Thing is I think he knew he was handcuffing a dead man.
(edited 9 years ago)
If it wasn't caught on video, he would get away with it.

American police officers killed more people in March than British police killed in 25 years, or so I read. That's a trigger happy police who know they can get away with it, particularly when dealing with black men.
Original post by Quantex
American police officers killed more people in March than British police killed in 25 years, or so I read. That's a trigger happy police who know they can get away with it, particularly when dealing with black men.

Probably helps that they have guns
Original post by Exon

You don't run away from a cop though, that's just asking to get shot.

How is running away from a police officer asking to be shot?
Original post by cant_think_of_name
I wonder how the right wingers will defend this. If he's running away, he's not an immediate danger to anyone. He fires EIGHT shots which is excessive anyway.

Wait a few days until the full footage gets released.
Just unbelievable. Unbelievable perhaps isn't the right word, because this sort of thing happens far more often than it should, but I find it so hard to stomach.

Original post by generic_man
This murderer would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for the brave person who filmed it all. He even dropped his taser on the guy's body to make it look like he was disarmed. What a scumbag...

This. Egregious behaviour.
If you see the police report they actually lied about what occurred when the officer shot him...luckily someone had the guts to record or that officer would have gotten away with it and the innocent black man would yet again would be labelled as a thug...too many trigger happy 'law enforcers' in America- their racial issues is still so rife
Original post by MatureStudent36
Wait a few days until the full footage gets released.

Footage on the BBC is edited. The full footage is even worse - showing the officer planting evidence and also revealing the initial report to be a pack of lies.

Pretty bad stuff.
Reply 18
Original post by InnerTemple
How is running away from a police officer asking to be shot?

You think running away from the police while being arrested is ok?
Original post by Exon
You think running away from the police while being arrested is ok?

No. But it doesn't warrant being shot dead.

As far as I am aware, use of lethal force is only justified in certain circumstances. You don't blow someone away in order to effect an arrest - do you?

It's a bit like theft isn't ok. If someone stole something, the police would come around and arrest that person. They wouldn't turn up and summarily execute them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending