The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm just about to finish my 5th year of 6 at Sheffield. No I don't regret it at all. I feel happier with my choice with every year that passes by. It's a very noble profession and it's nice to see the respect that patients and the general public give to medical students and doctors which gives you a sense of worth and that you're doing something good with your life. The clinical years are great - you get to see what you've read in textbooks/lectures for so long!
Being realistic, I do occasionally have feelings of 'why am I doing this?', but not so much regret. Usually just thoughts like:

Knowing I will spend the rest of my adult life sitting exams and constantly paddling upstream.
Knowing that the job comes with that anxious, gut feeling of 'did I miss something?', 'did I do something wrong?' and 'can I really cope with this?'
Knowing that I could well have entered careers which are more lucrative or more 9-5.
And occasionally I wonder why I should dedicate so much of my youth and energy caring so much about other people when, in all honesty, I feel as though nobody really cares about me.

But then I remember:
That medicine is a career which is stimulating and challenging - a rare thing in the modern, consumerist world.
That medicine is intricate, complex and always surprising.
Not a day goes by when I don't learn something new about the human body or mind.
That, in a society that breeds detachment, individualism and inherent loneliness, being a doctor is an open door into the lives of others in a positive way.

And I also think about the moments of connection that I've had with some of the patients I've met. One particular small, but memorable event was when a woman twice my age thanked me for holding her hand during a procedure. It's lots of little things like this that make it worth it.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Love that above comment, it really puts it into perspective
Iam hoping to apply to medicine this year and have some doubts already about how my life will be as I am a parent already, but reading that has really made me think about why I want to go down that career path in the first place.
Original post by CMorley
Basically what is said in the tittle, any regrets? from both those student who are currently studying and those who are qualified would be helpful.

No, no regrets.

It's quite stressful but so far I've managed to pass...keep calm and carry on I guess.

That said, I do feel quite irritated/angry at the "system" (training, exams, FPAS etc) but I try to separate that from medicine itself. But unfortunately there is an overlap and somedays I end up feeling "**** it all" about everything. It shouldn't have to be that way :frown:

Generally though, the positives outweigh the negatives. I try to view my training as a long term investment and one which I won't see the results of any time soon. If in 15 years time I end up being what I consider to be a good physician then I'll know that it's all been worth it.

Basically...what Etomidate said, except less eloquently. I'm tired.
(edited 9 years ago)
The only thing that annoys me that I didn't know before is how training is so messed up in terms of forcing you to move around the country right up until pretty much your mid 30s. I dislike the GP working day completely, but when you're trying to plan your life and finding the NHS blocking your way at every turn it looks more and more attractive every month!

The most frustrating thing is that there is absolutely no reason it needs to be like that...
Reply 6
Been on nights since Good Friday (after working Christmas and New Years).

Don't regret doing medicine. I like my job and I feel stimulated. Sometimes appreciated. Make enough money to keep the wolf from the door.

I do resent the impact it has on mine and my families lives. Not being able to forward plan more really pisses me off.

I do regret not liking/being good at a specialty with a better work life balance.
Original post by Etomidate
Being realistic, I do occasionally have feelings of 'why am I doing this?', but not so much regret. Usually just thoughts like:

Knowing I will spend the rest of my adult life sitting exams and constantly paddling upstream.
Knowing that the job comes with that anxious, gut feeling of 'did I miss something?', 'did I do something wrong?' and 'can I really cope with this?'
Knowing that I could well have entered careers which are more lucrative or more 9-5.
And occasionally I wonder why I should dedicate so much of my youth and energy caring so much about other people when, in all honesty, I feel as though nobody really cares about me.

But then I remember:
That medicine is a career which is stimulating and challenging - a rare thing in the modern, consumerist world.
That medicine is intricate, complex and always surprising.
Not a day goes by when I don't learn something new about the human body or mind.
That, in a society that breeds detachment, individualism and inherent loneliness, being a doctor is an open door into the lives of others in a positive way.

And I also think about the moments of connection that I've had with some of the patients I've met. One particular small, but memorable event was when a woman twice my age thanked me for holding her hand during a procedure. It's lots of little things like this that make it worth it.

@bolded, very true
Reply 8
Not at all!! actually every day it gets more and more interesting. Learning the various physiological mechanisms present in the human body at one particular time is truly amazing X)
As has been said before - it's not a regret exactly, but I wish I had been more aware of all the constant changing jobs and moving around that was required. Certainly when I was 18 and applying, I wasn't aware of just how much this would be and for how long. And that whilst I could express preferences for where in the country I wanted to be, in reality you can be sent anywhere and don't have a huge amount of choice in the matter. I am already in my mid thirties and would really like to just know that I am settled somewhere, rather than still continuing to move.
Reply 10
Original post by CMorley
Basically what is said in the tittle, any regrets? from both those student who are currently studying and those who are qualified would be helpful.

I'm in first year, i love being at uni, i absolutely love being independent but every now and then you sit with a bunch of history students who had maybe 2 hours of lectures that day which half of them didn't go to and they have a load of reading to do which 90% of them won't do and you think why oh why am i putting myself through 30 hours of class a week?
I wouldn't say i regret it as i do enjoy my course but sometimes i get little wonders about whether it is worth it the sacrifices i'm making already and thinking of the future ones i know i'll have to make.

And actually reading the thoughts of others on hear has made me wonder even more if i've made the right choice. I feel at times that my decisions at university course wise and otherwise have pushed me more into darker places than i ever had before which is obviously not a good thing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by junior.doctor
As has been said before - it's not a regret exactly, but I wish I had been more aware of all the constant changing jobs and moving around that was required. Certainly when I was 18 and applying, I wasn't aware of just how much this would be and for how long. And that whilst I could express preferences for where in the country I wanted to be, in reality you can be sent anywhere and don't have a huge amount of choice in the matter. I am already in my mid thirties and would really like to just know that I am settled somewhere, rather than still continuing to move.

Apart from F1 & 2 placements, how often do you have to move and for how long? :s-smilie:
I love medicine but still only 3 years into it.
Original post by GradMed15
Apart from F1 & 2 placements, how often do you have to move and for how long? :s-smilie:

Effectively, up to the point of having a consultant / GP post. I am currently doing specialty training (ST run-through) in a large deanery, and change post every 6 months, It doesn't always mean having to move every 6 months, but I already know for example that my next job will mean moving away for just 6 months and then moving back again. My training is 8 years. It depends on the specialty and on the area - GPs may wish to correct me but I think that certainly in my Deanery at least, trainees are allocated north / south / east / west etc which makes things a bit easier. I had to move between FY1 and FY2 - and this was my choice, as I wanted a particular 'niche' post that there weren't many of, and I was fortunate to have a decent F1 score which allowed me to choose the job I wanted. But that move could well have been enforced and not chosen, for example. Different Deaneries allocate jobs in different ways at different stages - so some will allocate both F1 and F2 jobs together at the beginning whereas my Deanery allocated F2 jobs competitively partway through F1. I am currently doing paediatrics, but also applied for and was accepted to core medicine, and they offered me 3x 4 month posts at 3 different hospitals for CT1. Which I could have commuted, but it was just going to be a complete pain, not to mention learning 3 different hospitals over the course of what would already have been a hardcore year.

For doctors who do core training first and then specialty training, this can potentially mean moving for Foundation, moving for core training and then moving again for specialty training - as well as potentially moving within a training programme as well. i think you'll find a whole spectrum of experiences, from those who didn't have to move very much, to those who fell foul of the moving lottery at every hurdle. It also has to be said that some people will put up with commuting insane stupid distances rather than move, whereas others prefer to move - but this too comes with its own difficulties. Having to drive > 1 hour after a night shift, petrol costs / car expenses, the time lost every day when travelling...

--> Edited to add that of course sometimes moving can be a positive experience, and I certainly know people who said "I'd like to live in London / Scotland / wherever for a couple of years, but then move back" and the fact that there are these points in training where you apply for the next level, does make this possible - if you have the scores and play the training lottery correctly, of course.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by junior.doctor
Effectively, up to the point of having a consultant / GP post. I am currently doing specialty training (ST run-through) in a large deanery, and change post every 6 months, It doesn't always mean having to move every 6 months, but I already know for example that my next job will mean moving away for just 6 months and then moving back again. My training is 8 years. It depends on the specialty and on the area - GPs may wish to correct me but I think that certainly in my Deanery at least, trainees are allocated north / south / east / west etc which makes things a bit easier. I had to move between FY1 and FY2 - and this was my choice, as I wanted a particular 'niche' post that there weren't many of, and I was fortunate to have a decent F1 score which allowed me to choose the job I wanted. But that move could well have been enforced and not chosen, for example. Different Deaneries allocate jobs in different ways at different stages - so some will allocate both F1 and F2 jobs together at the beginning whereas my Deanery allocated F2 jobs competitively partway through F1. I am currently doing paediatrics, but also applied for and was accepted to core medicine, and they offered me 3x 4 month posts at 3 different hospitals for CT1. Which I could have commuted, but it was just going to be a complete pain, not to mention learning 3 different hospitals over the course of what would already have been a hardcore year.

For doctors who do core training first and then specialty training, this can potentially mean moving for Foundation, moving for core training and then moving again for specialty training - as well as potentially moving within a training programme as well. i think you'll find a whole spectrum of experiences, from those who didn't have to move very much, to those who fell foul of the moving lottery at every hurdle. It also has to be said that some people will put up with commuting insane stupid distances rather than move, whereas others prefer to move - but this too comes with its own difficulties. Having to drive > 1 hour after a night shift, petrol costs / car expenses, the time lost every day when travelling...

--> Edited to add that of course sometimes moving can be a positive experience, and I certainly know people who said "I'd like to live in London / Scotland / wherever for a couple of years, but then move back" and the fact that there are these points in training where you apply for the next level, does make this possible - if you have the scores and play the training lottery correctly, of course.

Alright, thanks for your informative reply. I don't mind moving during and few years after F1/2, but I would like to settle somewhere shortly after. I will just have to work hard to get competitive scores or just put up with it! Thank you again! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by GradMed15
Alright, thanks for your informative reply. I don't mind moving during and few years after F1/2, but I would like to settle somewhere shortly after. I will just have to work hard to get competitive scores or just put up with it! Thank you again! :smile:

Lets be honest here. (this is all IMO)
Medicine is the most beautiful subject to study.
but
Medical school is incredibly hard and life sucking.
There is little life during medical school and training vs other degrees and jobs
The NHS is being beaten down for ages resulting in very poor morale.
Staff bullying is an everyday thing that affects many doctors.
Alcohol and drugs issues are common for doctors.
A lot of doctors seem unhappy and probably would be happier with their lives in different career.
Competition seems to never end.
FY1/FY2 locations are not guaranteed.
Core training posts are all over the country.
Specialty posts can be all over the country.
Finding a partner (wife/husband) might be incredibly difficult when you have to move during your training time constantly and you have no time for them.
=Settling down becomes difficult.
Getting that training posts in the first place seems to have become incredibly difficult.
=meaning that additional degrees, research publications etc are required.
=meaning you have less life to live.
=shouldn't it be work to live instead of live to work?
=meaning you still have to worry about your future for so many years.
Becoming an consultant is not as easy as they make it out to be too. (PhDs anyone?)
Night shifts and weekends are painful to do.
How many medical students become GPs simply because hospital working conditions are too much for them?

Everyone who hides and ignores these points will eventually be caught up with them and question if they have made the right decision in life.
And the satisfaction they once have gotten from treating patients might have been overridden by how generally their life is suddenly affected.
In the end its a balancing act. If you know what you get yourself into before you start you will be able to make the right decision for you and it will be easier for the rest of your life to live with your decision.
If you are willing to accept the sacrifices you have to make it will be the best job ever. But if you only listen to the good parts you will live in a fantasy. And the bubble will eventually pop.

For me personally, I don't regret studying medicine
but I was already aware of what I would get myself into.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by vioxx
I'm just about to finish my 5th year of 6 at Sheffield. No I don't regret it at all. I feel happier with my choice with every year that passes by. It's a very noble profession and it's nice to see the respect that patients and the general public give to medical students and doctors which gives you a sense of worth and that you're doing something good with your life. The clinical years are great - you get to see what you've read in textbooks/lectures for so long!

HI there, I haven't taken the right alevels for medicine.... (Geography, maths, economics and physics). I really want to do medicine (im still at AS). I've heard of a foundation course at Sheffield, would if possible for you to find out some more about this and what I need in terms of grades etc and get back to me??

Thanks alot
Original post by Arjun24
HI there, I haven't taken the right alevels for medicine.... (Geography, maths, economics and physics). I really want to do medicine (im still at AS). I've heard of a foundation course at Sheffield, would if possible for you to find out some more about this and what I need in terms of grades etc and get back to me??

Thanks alot

that's incredibly rude asking someone to research something for you.

It's all on the internet, only a few clicks away. In other words, do it yourself!
Reply 18
Original post by hukdealz
that's incredibly rude asking someone to research something for you.

It's all on the internet, only a few clicks away. In other words, do it yourself!

I asked because the person goes to the uni already and they know about this more than what i can find on the internet. Plus i didn't ask you :confused:
Original post by Arjun24
I asked because the person goes to the uni already and they know about this more than what i can find on the internet. Plus i didn't ask you :confused:

would if possible for you to find out some more about this and what I need in terms of grades etc and get back to me

you asked him/her to research it

diy

Latest

Trending

Trending