The Student Room Group

How should I sing during a church hymn?

This is a bit of a weird question i am a 29 year old woman and i attend every weeknmy local church it is a very small village church. I always sing the hymns in a operatic voice not really loud, but i have noticed i get a lot of strange looks from other members of the small congregation. Does anyone think i should sing non operatic tone and does it matter how you sing because we all are different at the end of the day?
any cooments or help
Original post by katrina leeder
This is a bit of a weird question i am a 29 year old woman and i attend every weeknmy local church it is a very small village church. I always sing the hymns in a operatic voice not really loud, but i have noticed i get a lot of strange looks from other members of the small congregation. Does anyone think i should sing non operatic tone and does it matter how you sing because we all are different at the end of the day?

Sing how you want to sing.
thanks a lot

use it for an advantage? Make up your own harmonies? tbh, there's nothing wrong with an operatic voice but it just is a bit out of the ordinary, which is probably why people give you funny looks. Can't be any worse than that ONE person who always sings louder and more dramatically than anyone else.

I just do spoken word tbh
In the style of Axl Rose, when you're worshipping down on your shanananananaknees?
I personally prefer to use the art of miming for my singing.
hahahahah best thread in ages. maybe go all gospel on it
Reply 8

I'm part of a choral choir so always sing in the operatic voice. Maybe you should consider joining the church choir if they have one, or if not then just keep singing your heart out and make the most of it, no one should judge you in church anyway
i saw a hymn on youtube and there were operatic tones by some of the people and they were female operatic tones. i think women do it more than the men ?
why would sing in a operatic voice to hymns not suprised you get weird looks strange woman you are
why am i strange for singing them in a operatic voice?

Quick Reply

Latest