The Student Room Group

Strict parents at uni

My parents are really strict about my academic commitment, even though they didn't care about my final grades. They said doing this will make me become a good testimony of God.

Once I was going to skip a 6pm class to have enough time to attend some rehearsal at church at 7:30pm. My parents told the church that I won't be there until 7:50pm, giving me sufficient time to finish the commute while staying until the end of class, and insisted me to have an early dinner and go to the class.

I had to postpone commitments during exam periods while I see other people can still have commitments during these times. I rescheduled a meeting scheduled on 11th December (one day before my first exam, fixed already) to the 19th just to meet their standards, as I finish on the 18th. I also lost more than half of a 3d2n camp this week as I have an exam scheduled for the second day. 2 people also taking the exam decided to just take a leave in the middle, but I had to wait until after the exam to get in, making me miss out on most of the program.

They also insist a fixed method to complete some particular tasks. I need to do everything according to their desired method. They even banned attention seeking to the next level, such as not allowing us to cheer during someone's wedding/graduation, etc.

Do you think this is going too far? I think the academic commitment makes sense but the rest is so tough...
Original post by 8013
My parents are really strict about my academic commitment, even though they didn't care about my final grades. They said doing this will make me become a good testimony of God.
Once I was going to skip a 6pm class to have enough time to attend some rehearsal at church at 7:30pm. My parents told the church that I won't be there until 7:50pm, giving me sufficient time to finish the commute while staying until the end of class, and insisted me to have an early dinner and go to the class.
I had to postpone commitments during exam periods while I see other people can still have commitments during these times. I rescheduled a meeting scheduled on 11th December (one day before my first exam, fixed already) to the 19th just to meet their standards, as I finish on the 18th. I also lost more than half of a 3d2n camp this week as I have an exam scheduled for the second day. 2 people also taking the exam decided to just take a leave in the middle, but I had to wait until after the exam to get in, making me miss out on most of the program.
They also insist a fixed method to complete some particular tasks. I need to do everything according to their desired method. They even banned attention seeking to the next level, such as not allowing us to cheer during someone's wedding/graduation, etc.
Do you think this is going too far? I think the academic commitment makes sense but the rest is so tough...

You're in Uni. You're old enough to not do what they say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending