The Student Room Group

German school tells girls to respect Syrian refugees and dress modestly

A school in Bavaria, Germany, has sent a letter to parents, asking them to ensure their daughters refrain from wearing revealing clothes, because a Syrian refugee accommodation has been set up next to the school’s gym.

Two hundred Syrian refugees have been living for a week near the Wilhelm-Diess-Gymnasium’s gym, Die Welt reported.

The gym was shut down and PE lessons relocated to a primary school in the vicinity.

The head teacher also rushed to inform parents about additional security measures.

For the refugees, access to the school gardens and buildings is strictly forbidden. The same goes for the school grounds during the day. The number of teachers on duty during breaks has been increased”
Martin Thalhammer wrote.

He went on to warn the students against wearing immodest clothes.

The Syrian citizens are mainly Muslims and speak Arabic. The refugees are marked by their own culture. Because our school is directly next to where they are staying, modest clothing should be adhered to. Revealing tops or blouses, shorts or miniskirts could lead to misunderstandings
Thalhammer added as quoted by the Local.

In addition, the school asked to refrain absolutely from “direct eyeballing, ogling or taking pictures.”

Derogatory or racial remarks cannot be tolerated in any way
the letter concluded.

The letter was met with discontent by some parents, local media said. A politician who asked not to be named, told Die Welt that the step was “absolutely necessary.”

These boys, who come from a culture where for women it is frowned upon to show naked skin, follow girls and bother them without realizing. Obviously, this is a matter of concern for us
he continued.

Thalhammer also responded to complaints, saying that it is “his duty to look after the children.” He wanted “to inform everyone about what is going on at school and what the gym is being used for.”

It was my responsibility to remind everyone that two cultures are coming together here
the head teacher added.

Over the past few years, Germany has welcomed around 100,000 refugees from war-torn Syria substantially higher than other EU nations, human rights activists estimate. The government expects the number of people seeking asylum to jump to 450,000, a record for Germany.

A week ago, thousands attended the pro-refugee protest in Berlin, with about 2,500 people expressing their views in favor of immigration and their concern at how the EU authorities treat those coming from conflict-hit zones.

However, it should be noted that anti-immigration attitudes have also gained ground in Germany.

At the beginning of June, the far-right, anti-immigration Pegida party came fourth in mayoral elections in Dresden, winning almost 10 percent of the votes.

http://5pillarsuk.com/2015/06/28/german-school-tells-girls-to-respect-syrian-refugees-and-dress-modestly/
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How does this concern you?
Revealing clothes?
Original post by queen-bee

That should be WHY does it concern him?

It concerns him because White Europeans living in Europe shouldn't have to change their habits or give up their right to wear whatever they want purely because a bunch of foreign Arabs have been allowed into their country. You know this fine well so stop being facetious.

Maybe they don't want millions of refugee's overrunning their homeland?

There have been seen countless refugee's centres burnt down in Germany this year alone and it is getting worse. This extremism is a reaction to immigration because the crooked elites in power (Merkel) is a stupid fat cow that doesn't do anything.
Original post by Stephen857

It concerns him because White Europeans living in Europe shouldn't have to change their habits or give up their right to wear whatever they want purely because a bunch of foreign Arabs have been allowed into their country. You know this fine well so stop being facetious.

Well the governments seems to be okay with it. Anyway they aren't hurting anyone so leave them be. Maybe if y'all make them feel welcome enough they decide to integrate
Original post by Money Power
Maybe they don't want millions of refugee's overrunning their homeland?

There have been seen countless refugee's centres burnt down in Germany this year alone and it is getting worse. This extremism is a reaction to immigration because the crooked elites in power (Merkel) is a stupid fat cow that doesn't do anything.

There's always going to be horrible people,nobody can stop that. Looool,she feels for these people,have a heart. They've just escaped a civil war.
Awesome that these refugees have been given a temporary home but we shouldn't be restricting peoples clothing choices. Although I worry that this message has been sent or misinterpreted to fuel racism. My anger is with the head teacher and not the refugees.
Reply 8
Um girls shouldn't be wearing 'revealing clothes' in school anyway lol?

It doesn't. I'm fine with it.
Original post by Stephen857

I think they're just trying to establish mutual respect for each others cultures.
Why should people have to change the way they behave just in case not doing so might offend a refugee?

Refugees should be happy they have a place to stay at all, and the people who live in the country that is hosting the refugees certainly shouldn't have to change the way they dress or behave to accommodate them.

Original post by cbreef
I think they're just trying to establish mutual respect for each others cultures.

Part of mutual respect is realizing that they are not in their home country, and that the country that is being nice enough to host them certainly doesn't have to change the way its people dresses.
(edited 8 years ago)
This is a moral outrage I take great offence!
Giving up your rights for the benefit of economic migrants. lol.
That's disgusting.

Just instate Sharia law already.
Really? Are you actually kidding? That's ridiculous. They have been welcomed into a country to escape from the war in theirs and now they have the audacity to impose demands on a German school. That's atrocious. If I went out to the Middle East with a girlfriend and she wasn't wearing a hijab, we'd be hounded at for her not wearing. We don't make such demands on refugees when they come into Europe but they seriously have the audacity.....Look, I don't have a problem with any followers of religion. Practice what you want to practice. But don't....DON'T....try and impose your views on others when you have no footing to stand on.
Well the governments seems to be okay with it. Anyway they aren't hurting anyone so leave them be. Maybe if y'all make them feel welcome enough they decide to integrate

That they're demanding these school girls change attire because it doesn't conform to their religion leads me to the supposition that they don't want to integrate.
Why not just go the whole hog and grant them German citizenship too? :h:
Reply 18
"Don't eyeball them", of course not, they are humans who just happened to be caught up in fighting they don't have control over, and with regards to the dressing, their cultures are different, so it might offend them, the same way it offends people if you don't give them tips in restuarants.
Being tolerant to others is what makes people great, if you can't let this slide, you might as well go back to the far right and turn into Nazis.

Also have some decency your tsr trolls, sitting in your comfortable chairs with a roof over your head, their homes are blown up, their brothers and sisters were killed and bleed to death in front of their eyes, let them rest here with a bit of comfort at least.

Humanity will always prevail. Well done Germany.
Yeah no one even likes the Krauts.
I'm with Queen bee on this one, we should all seek to appropriate other cultures once we've been kind enough to allow them to escape their country and live in ours, I mean it would be racist to not expect the majority of that countries population and the pro dominant culture not to change to suit a minority you've allowed into the country.
I hope everyone understands sarcasm, sarcasm is a rather effective tool in life and rather humorous(at least in my life anyway).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending