The Student Room Group

Tiffin 6th form

i got an offer to study science and maths here and i have a few questions

1. what is the dress code like? ive heard people say its smart or business casual, but when i went there for my interview i saw people in sweats etc. should i start buying smart clothes or am i good?

2. what's the ratio of guys to girls like? my school rn has barely any girls, eg my form has 4/28 girls including me. i really dont wanna go through this hell again😭

3. what are the people like? ive also heard that it's quite boring cs no one really goes out and everyone's very focused on school. i wanna find like minded people who dont just think about exams all the time.

4. what's it like in general? my friend's brother said that his class didn't have a chemistry teacher for almost a year, and he had to teach himself. ive also heard from other people that the teachers dont really support you and expect you to be very independent. obv its good to an extent but most students will probably need support with careers, personal statements etc.

i dont want to make assumptions based on what i've heard, so i hope someone that goes there can answer:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by hhdsgfhsdghf

1. what is the dress code like? ive heard people say its smart or business casual, but when i went there for my interview i saw people in sweats etc. should i start buying smart clothes or am i good?

2. what's the ratio of guys to girls like? my school rn has barely any girls, eg my form has 4/28 girls including me. i really dont wanna go through this hell again😭

3. what are the people like? ive also heard that it's quite boring cs no one really goes out and everyone's very focused on school. i wanna find like minded people who dont just think about exams all the time.

4. what's it like in general? my friend's brother said that his class didn't have a chemistry teacher for almost a year, and he had to teach himself. ive also heard from other people that the teachers dont really support you and expect you to be very independent. obv its good to an extent but most students will probably need support with careers, personal statements etc.

i dont want to make assumptions based on what i've heard, so i hope someone that goes there can answer:smile:

1. There is a dress code, guys tend to wear suits and girls tend to wear whatever they really want but it can't look informal. However as someone who attends the school, the whole dress code is bs. I've seen some of the most outrageous attire and the teachers dont really care. However they do particularly hate hoodies so keep that in mind.

2. Id say that ratio is about 5:1 guys to girls but keep in mind that y7-11 was all boys and most of them stay for 6th form in addition to about 80 new students.

3. There's a range of people who attend the school. Theres some proper smelly neeks who have no social life and they wouldn't know what a shower was if it slapped them right in the face, stay clear. Also theres a large group of people in my year who really try and force the act of being from a deprived london estate but in reality they live in Surrey, absolute wallads. Everyone has their own groups so if you have your friend group set from the start social life shouldn't be an issue unless the people you talk to are dry. There is a lot of focus on academics but then theres also people who couldnt care less about school.

4. To start it off with the chemistry class without a teacher, its true. I remember during the autumn term, we had them for i think 4 lessons from october to december which is disgusting considering they're paid to teach, however, good news for you that **** teacher is ******* off after this year so dont worry about that. As for personal statements and careers etc. i have to commend the school on that because they are exceptional at it, but thats one of the only good things they are at, also Maths department is extremely good. Kingstons quite a nice area in general, theres a tesco a few minutes away, loads of nice places to eat, the food market too so in that way its ok.

So overall its a mixed bag, more bad than good if im being honest. The sixth form area is an absolute joke, an absolute insult to its students although the new study area is quite nice. I'd rate it a 5/10 after being here for seven years although I deeply regret extending my prison sentence for two years when I could have left after year 11.
If you have any more questions im down to answer them
Reply 2
Original post by hhdsgfhsdghf

1. Dress code:
You'll receive a handbook in August-Ish, but i've copied it into here:
"The Tiffin ID badge must be visible at all times in school for reasons of safeguarding.

Students can wear the following, further guidance shown in images in appendix:
Smart suit or jacket/blazer, or smart jumper/cardigan, examples of which are shown in Appendix 1
Skirt or tailored trousers
Buttoned shirt/blouse or similarly smart top with short or long sleeves
Smart dresses are also appropriate
Skirts and dresses should be appropriate, e.g. no mini skirts, and should be tailored; tights may also be advised
Reasonably smart/durable shoes or boots in a neutral colour (e.g. black/tan)
In addition:
Ties are optional
Subtle, natural make-up and jewellery are permitted
Hijabs and turbans are optional
Appropriate sports kit may be worn for participation activities (see appendix 2)
The final decision as to the appropriateness of a student’s appearance rests with the Head of Year and/or member of the Sixth Form Team.
The following may be helpful in clarifying what is and what is not appropriate:
No denim, combat or cargo trousers, or shorts
No hats indoors
No inappropriate footwear e.g. flip flops and trainers
No clothes that are excessively worn or faded or with rips or tears
No bold or offensive logos
No extreme haircuts (you may wish to liaise with a member of the Sixth Form Team if unsure)."

2. Ratio girls to boys

186 boys in Year 7, around 30 leave over the course of 5 years. Around 60 new girls and 20 new boys (in 2022, although the school does not discriminate gender in admissions so it may change). Therefore you can assume that ratio is approximately 2:1 (in the sixth form. obviously it's much greater if you include the whole school)

3. what are the people like?

From what I can tell, people aren't that focused on school but if you have more specific questions with what people are like you can pm me

4. in general?

yeah you have to be independent but if you ask for help, you'll get it. if you don't, you won't. same with careers/personal statement support. take action and talk to the careers advisor early on, instead of delaying it last minute when everyone else is.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending