The Student Room Group

Why not replace benefits with vouchers?

Hi,

So i always hear people slating the working class on benefits for spending their money on cigs, alcohol, electronics and general wants rather than needs, which i understand. I wouldnt want my hard earned cash to pay for those items.

So why do we not just restrict what the benefits can pay for? Ie instead of 100 per week cash (generic benefit), it is a voucher worth 100 quid that can be spent on food and necessities only.

My politics is not great, but just wanted some views.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2710
Hi,

So i always hear people slating the working class on benefits for spending their money on cigs, alcohol, electronics and general wants rather than needs, which i understand. I wouldnt want my hard earned cash to pay for those items.

So why do we not just restrict what the benefits can pay for? Ie instead of 100 per week cash (generic benefit), it is a voucher worth 100 quid that can be spent on food and necessities only.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm behind this idea, those on welfare do nothing but abuse it. But the lefties will bring up some sentimental nonsense about how they might want to buy crayons for their kids?

Glad Labour is getting slaughtered, hope for more deeper cuts!
Original post by 2710
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there... I do like this idea for people on job seekers allowance and short term sick pay as it gives them a motive to get back to work and have the freedom to spend what they want again.

I personally think people on these benefits which equate to around £75 every two weeks in the basic rate should get vouchers that cannot be spent on alcohol or cigarettes, but this will not work as people on benefits also need money for other things to have a life outside of food etc. like for example if i was on benefits and my daughter/son needed a new school uniform i would not be able to buy that, also with things like transport such as taxis and buses where money is needed.

I think the benefits system should work so that anyone on jobseekers must work for there benefits or they dont recieve them, and sick benefit should be better regulated to avoid shelling out thousands to the fat and lazy!!
Yhe

Posted from TSR Mobile
So, what happens to people like me who don't live that close to major supermarkets? Not all local shops will accept those vouchers. And what happens if we need to order something online?
Original post by Bill_Gates
i'm behind this idea, those on welfare do nothing but abuse it. But the lefties will bring up some sentimental nonsense about how they might want to buy crayons for their kids?

I have to admit not everyone on welfare abuses it, my mother is very ill (its not a lifelong illness but is seriously impacting her health at this moment) and is on sick pay, she doesnt abuse it and uses her benefits to pay bills and for food... And £75 every two weeks is not enough for us to live so she is spiralling into her savings and gaining debt...

Not everyone is an abuser, just some

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by OU Student
So, what happens to people like me who don't live that close to major supermarkets? Not all local shops will accept those vouchers. And what happens if we need to order something online?

Vouchers can work online too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Natalierm2707
Hi there... I do like this idea for people on job seekers allowance and short term sick pay as it gives them a motive to get back to work and have the freedom to spend what they want again.

I personally think people on these benefits which equate to around £75 every two weeks in the basic rate should get vouchers that cannot be spent on alcohol or cigarettes, but this will not work as people on benefits also need money for other things to have a life outside of food etc. like for example if i was on benefits and my daughter/son needed a new school uniform i would not be able to buy that, also with things like transport such as taxis and buses where money is needed.

I think the benefits system should work so that anyone on jobseekers must work for there benefits or they dont recieve them, and sick benefit should be better regulated to avoid shelling out thousands to the fat and lazy!!
Yhe

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, i was giving a very simple exmple of just food but in reality it will be more thorough. Example, child benefits will be restrixcted to food, stationery and uniform etc.

And so forth with other benefits to cover all respective necessities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2710
Vouchers can work online too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but with our governments reliabilty for payments many companies will not want to participate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Bill_Gates

Says the poster who admitted he had made a mistake in voting Tory.
Yes but with our governments reliabilty for payments many companies will not want to participate

Posted from TSR Mobile

and then there's the cost of such a system
Original post by 2710
Yes, i was giving a very simple exmple of just food but in reality it will be more thorough. Example, child benefits will be restrixcted to food, stationery and uniform etc.

And so forth with other benefits to cover all respective necessities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Children need more than food, uniform and stationary... What about school trips, friends parties, general amusement... In my opinion its not fair to let the children suffer for their parents misfortune, children need stimulation other than a TV!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by meenu89
Says the poster who admitted he had made a mistake in voting Tory.

are you that narrow minded that you only think it's either Labour or Tory? it's always brown or white with you isn't it.
Original post by OU Student
and then there's the cost of such a system

Excactly!!

The system is in need of reform but this is too restrictive and will just cause more problems than it solves..

We need to make people on jobseekers work for their benefits, best way, as then they cant give the excuse that they can get paid more for sitting at home... There also needs to be better support for people coming off benefits so the transition isnt so hard forcing people back on benefits...

Like the tories should not have cut under 21 housing benefit or child tax credit as people rely on these to continue working as without them its more financially viable to be on benefits!!

The tories need to wake up and realise their ideas are ludicrous and will just cause trouble... Cant wait for the next election so labour can turn it all around'n

Posted from TSR Mobile
The working class people are exactly that - working class. They earn their money, so they should choose to spend whatever they want with it. Even if they wanted to fund their dirty habit. The people that use the welfare system continuously abuse it.

They spend their money on going out clubbing/trainers/tracksuits/cigarettes/holidays, when it should be there to fund for their basic needs such as food, water, keeping a roof over their heads and other necessities like toiletries, bus fares to job interviews, etc. (also on their children if they have any).

So to be honest, I entirely agree that vouchers should replace welfare money so it limits them on what they can and cannot do until they get off their lazy backside and get a job. If the child has an available babysitter or is at school, there's no excuse why parents cannot work unless they have problems like disablement or if their child is disabled.

I've seen enough evidence on how these people abuse the benefit system and treat it like they earned it. Maybe, just maybe, they'll stop popping out children like ping pong balls when they realise no matter how many they have, they still cannot have a moments fun on the working class expenses.

The possibility of the vouchers being implemented is by far a long stretch.

- Make the benefit system more stricter

- Assess those more thoroughly to decide whether they REALLY are in genuine need of benefits (hence making the benefit system more stricter. Is the chance of them becoming homeless higher if they do not receive any benefits? Are they living with parents? Are they trying hard to look for a job? Did they walk out of their job intentionally?)

- Make them undertake work experience (like a 9-5 job, like working class people would have to do to give them hands on experience on what it is like to have to wake up every morning and get yourself out of bed)

- Take government funded courses to improve their academic skills
(edited 8 years ago)
I would really support this idea, were it to actually be practically feasible. I find it disgusting that some people are spending benefits money on alcohol and cigarettes and then complaining that they aren't given enough. On the surface I really, really prefer the idea of being given vouchers instead if only for this reason. But as others have said, there are various factors that could stop this working properly or happening at all. Part of me thinks that most of it should still be vouchers, with a small portion in cash. Ideally, I think anyone physically and mentally able to should have to do community service work to earn their benefits if they aren't in work. Either way something definitely needs to be done imo, people shouldn't be doing nothing and then be spending taxpayer money on their vices and whingeing that they have nothing left, especially not if they have children that money could have gone on.

EDIT: That said, if people are in work - 'working class' - then I don't see as much of a problem with them getting cash, although in terms of things like child benefit I would rather see relevant vouchers happen. But again, not clear how this could really work across the country.
(edited 8 years ago)
Possibly more expensive than the current system, difficult to regulate, difficult to do it fairly, and, from the perspective of someone who thinks society should be judged on how it treats those at the bottom, a regressive step.
Original post by 2710
Hi,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because .....

1. Some people have mortgage payment commitments and vouchers are no good for paying your debt commitments that keep a roof over your head.

2. Vouchers prevent poor people pooling their money together and bulk buying goods & services for lower prices.

3. Vouchers are only redeemable at stores which Government favors. This creates Crony-Capitalism which damages the free market and increases prices for everyone else though Corporations depending on Government subsidizes. We just axed 1 third of tax credit corporate welfare. Why go back on the progress we have made.

4. Vouchers cannot be put into a bank account and this makes it ultra difficult for disabled people to manage their money. Some people have learning difficulties, others are blind/deaf and others have limited to zero manual dexterity.

5. It creates unwanted class discrimination which leads to bullying and less independence of the poorest people in society.

6. Vouchers need to be produced and cost the Government additional money by the administration of their use.

7. People who live rural use cars & motorcycles to get to work and vouchers limit claimants from choosing the cheapest insurance to keep their vehicle on the road.

8. Those who are permanently disabled who may never be able to work should not be further penalized just because of minorities of welfare abusers.

9. Tax payers who find themselves unemployed shouldn't be put on a voucher system for all their years of hard work. Use of vouchers go against the very aspect of working hard for a better life.

10. Vouchers are part of the 20th century and should stay in the trash bin of history.
Even as a Conservative voter, I find this idea quite distasteful and dehumanising, and I assume those in favour of it are quite naive and have never actually had to run a house before (a student house doesn't count), nor have they had a family to support.

It's also an absurdly expensive and complex proposal, both to implement and to run.
What we have to remember here guys is that not everyone on benefits is lazy and popping out 12 kids!!

There are many people on benefits that deserve them/ need them...
- disabled (should be judged and awarded on severity of disability)
- carers for the disabled
- short term sick
- people who have been made redundant and have little experience/struggling to find a job

Most of the people on benefits have worked all their lives and paid into the system and now have sadly found themselves on benefits through no faukt of their own...

You also have people who have no choice but to be at home such as widowed people or people whose partners have left and they have young children (below reception age) as they have nobody else to help them with childcare.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
You also have people who have no choice but to be at home such as widowed people

Eh?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending