The Student Room Group

Advice on replacing my tyres

Hi,

My front car tyres are in need of replacing and very soon I think. It was mentioned as an advisory in my MOT when I did it end of last year.

Rear tyres are somehow fine but the front ones could be in need of changing. Never done this before so is it a simple case of going to a tyre place and letting then do the rest or is there anything I should look out for?

What's the average cost of replacing a tyre? Presume it includes cost for the tyre and labour.

Newbie to all this so any helpful pointers would be much appreciated

Thanks!
If its a front wheel drive car the front tyres tend to get a lot more wear as the rear are just trailing really, partly why people sometimes rotate/swap their tyres around,

Check the specifications of the tyres you already have, it will read something like 255 (tyre width) /30 (sidewall as a % of width)(/R18 (wheel size in ") we don't need to dwell on the details but that's the info you need to get another tyre that fits.

You do a get a wide budget of tyres and will likely find cheap ones for 40-60 for most basic cars, but you can easily pay 100s for high end ones. I often use somewhere like BlackCircles where they have a network of garages to send the tyres to and fit for 'free' but your purchase price obv takes that into account, but I think my local indy place charges £15 fitting?

I've seen different setups where they trolley jack your car up outside then take the wheel into their garage to fit or they've had a proper car lift they drive it onto, often if they also do exhaust/MOT work etc.
Reply 2
Seeing as it's not yet illegal you have time to shop around on tyre centre websites - they sometimes have offers for buying two tyres at the same time. you can usually phone them up and play one off another to get the price down a bit.
The tyrecentre websites let you type in your registration number to find appropriate tyres but really you should still verify the suggestions by checking the numbers on your existing tyre sidewalls.
Reply 3
Front tyres wear much faster than rear. You can choose a ‘branded tyre’ eg Michelin or Dunlop or a budget tyre. The former are said to be better quality and a bit safer although it’s difficult to find hard evidence of this. Branded tyres can also wear a bit faster. For a branded tyre your looking at over £100 generally unless you can find a ‘sale’. Budget tyres can be much cheaper in the £50-70 mark.

Shopping around a bit when the tyres are still legal is a good idea. There’s all the high street places like Kwik Fit, ATS etc and then less well known local places. You can drop in for a tyre check and quote. Often work can be done on the spot. You can also browse on line and make an appointment. One watch out is that they often try to offer extras like wheel alignment and camber checking. Advising that your shock absorbers would benefit from replacement seems common. I am a bit skeptical about these extras but have occasionally paid for alignment to see what it comes up with.

Decent tyres are important for safety and it’s a necessary evil to spend money on them. Whenever I can afford it I have replaced at 2mm and bought branded tyres.
Reply 4
20230606_085911.jpg

Thanks all 👍🏽

I've found the tyre measurements on a front tyre and the rear wheel and barring a slight difference on the sidewheel percentage, it seems OK.

My rear tyres are fine however I've noticed (picture attached) there's wear and tear around the rim on one of the wheels. Incidentally, this is a tyre I havr had to pump up at times, so something to change now?
Reply 5
Original post by Aky786UK
20230606_085911.jpg

Thanks all 👍🏽

I've found the tyre measurements on a front tyre and the rear wheel and barring a slight difference on the sidewheel percentage, it seems OK.

My rear tyres are fine however I've noticed (picture attached) there's wear and tear around the rim on one of the wheels. Incidentally, this is a tyre I havr had to pump up at times, so something to change now?

Definitely, this doesn’t look good. If you go to Kwik Fit they will do a free tyre check and give you the low down on everything
Reply 6
Ta for the helpful advice, front tyres and right rear changed for £140 (brand new tyres at £45 - second hand was £35 so thought made sense)

I had called another place to enquire and he had quoted £95 however I've learnt taking the car there is better for an accurate price. Don't fully get why they can't just give a price over the phone based on my car details.

The repair dude looked at the tyre above and said it looked like the tyre would burst if it was starting to tear around the rim otherwise I'd have left it for a while.

Anyways, the only uncomfortable moment came when he asked few times for my tyre nuts and I has no clue of course, and he picked them up from the boot where I was reminded, that yes, I do have a spare tyre lol.
Reply 7
Original post by Aky786UK
Ta for the helpful advice, front tyres and right rear changed for £140 (brand new tyres at £45 - second hand was £35 so thought made sense)

I had called another place to enquire and he had quoted £95 however I've learnt taking the car there is better for an accurate price. Don't fully get why they can't just give a price over the phone based on my car details.

The repair dude looked at the tyre above and said it looked like the tyre would burst if it was starting to tear around the rim otherwise I'd have left it for a while.

Anyways, the only uncomfortable moment came when he asked few times for my tyre nuts and I has no clue of course, and he picked them up from the boot where I was reminded, that yes, I do have a spare tyre lol.

Lucky your boot wasnt full of junk like mine is :smile:

First time I took a car with a filler cap release under the drivers seat to the garage I had to get the bloke to show me. Which was pretty embarrasing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending