The Student Room Group

* MEGATHREAD * - UKCAT 2016 Entry Discussion Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2000
Original post by liam__
You don't get a score. For a crude measure of your score you can do

((no of correct questions/ no of questions)*600)+300

That means I would get like 815 for DA. Damn it, I wish I remembered the others. It all disappeared on me somehow when the browser crashed.

EDIT: Does medify give you a score out of 900?

BTW, am I the only one who thinks that the medify QR is a bit easier?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Atham

EDIT: Does medify give you a score out of 900?

BTW, am I the only one who thinks that the medify QR is a bit easier?

Yes it does, but they're way off because they rank you against how other medify users did.

Medify QR is a good representation of the real exam.
In the actual ukcat is it a countdown from the whole section, or a timer for each question (like medify?). If its a countdown then it will be such a pain timing myself:frown:
Original post by liam__
Yes it does, but they're way off because they rank you against how other medify users did.

Medify QR is a good representation of the real exam.

Do you know what other section on Medify is good representation of the real exam?? :smile:
Hello, got my UKCAT coming up at the end of the month, but I've already done a couple of mocks. I've got a few of questions for anyone willing to answer

First, I'm studying from the Score Higher book and I'll be getting medify for the last two weeks, mostly because they're the most recommended. But I also have the UKCAT for dummies book, can someone let me know how representative it is of the actual UKCAT, is it worth using? I've not seen anyone recommend it on these forums

Second, I'm really struggling with QR. The QR section of the official practice test A was really difficult for me, is the actual test that hard?

Anyone got any advice for how to improve my QR ability, aside from practice? Should I read Qs first, and just skim through the paragraphs?
Original post by Elhamm
Do you know what other section on Medify is good representation of the real exam?? :smile:

Pretty much everything to be honest. Their comprehension style VR are perhaps a little long, and their AR is too easy and too hard sometimes. Their SJT is a joke though, so bad.
Reply 2006
Original post by liam__
Pretty much everything to be honest. Their comprehension style VR are perhaps a little long, and their AR is too easy and too hard sometimes. Their SJT is a joke though, so bad.

So what would you recommend for SJT, except for Kaplan, since I am not going to be able to get that in time.

Why do you think their SJT is bad?
Original post by muchensmile
In the actual ukcat is it a countdown from the whole section, or a timer for each question (like medify?). If its a countdown then it will be such a pain timing myself:frown:

In the UKCAT mocks it is a countdown timer, so I'm assuming the same for the exam (Although if anyone whose actually done it would like to comment, that would be great). What I do is just put markers for myself so I can quickly check (for example, in VR by question 12 I should have at least 16 mins left or I need to speed up).

Does anyone know how representative the QR is in the three official mocks?? (Because my exam is in less than two days and I'm struggling)
Original post by ForeverDay
In the UKCAT mocks it is a countdown timer, so I'm assuming the same for the exam (Although if anyone whose actually done it would like to comment, that would be great). What I do is just put markers for myself so I can quickly check (for example, in VR by question 12 I should have at least 16 mins left or I need to speed up).

Does anyone know how representative the QR is in the three official mocks?? (Because my exam is in less than two days and I'm struggling)

My exam is tomorrow and I get the feeling the QR is probably harder in the official mocks. (Hopefully anyway)...
Original post by Atham
So what would you recommend for SJT, except for Kaplan, since I am not going to be able to get that in time.

I'm only using Kaplan for SJ, but they recommend you to read the online documents called Tomorrow's Doctor and Good Medical Practice. They're not that long, and reading those will give you better understanding of SJ questions. I find the Medify SJ questions ridiculous as well, some of the situations they give is weird and some of the 'correct' answers are definitely wrong and their reasoning for them is terrible
Has anyone done the mock test at the back of the 600q book????? If so what score did you get????? Do you think the qr is too hard and da too easy?????????? :smile:
Original post by Atham

Some of their explanations for their answer choices are pretty hysterical. To be honest, as long as you have a modicum of empathy and common sense you should be fine.
Original post by Blobfish13
Has anyone done the mock test at the back of the 600q book????? If so what score did you get????? Do you think the qr is too hard and da too easy?????????? :smile:

Hey blobfish :smile: First of all, awesome name haha xD And secondly, the QR in that book is DEATH XD It is NOT REPRESENTATIVE AT ALL (except for maybe the few really hard questions that you are bound to get one or two of in the actual exam)!

However, due to this reason, you might want to do them just so you can be prepared for anything really!
Are the Medify mock scores likely to be slightly higher or lower than the actual score?
Original post by Blobfish13
I can't remember what I got , but in comparison to other practice that I've been doing, the 600q mock VR is too easy because they only have t/f/c questions and the passages are quite short, the QR is hard according to like everyone, and the DA was too easy as well because the wrong answers were too obvious
Original post by Indium
Are the Medify mock scores likely to be slightly higher or lower than the actual score?
Medify mock scores are all over the place, you're probably going to get a better estimate by doing (%of correct questions * 600) + 300
Another question:
For all the people who have tried out medify, how long should it be for good practice? So should I buy the 1 week pack, 2 week etc.?
Can someone tell me, is the format for QR that you get 9 sets of 4 questions? I think it is but just making sure haha xD
Original post by Indium
My exam is tomorrow and I get the feeling the QR is probably harder in the official mocks. (Hopefully anyway)...

Ugh, I really, really hope so. :s:
Reply 2019
Original post by liam__
You don't get a score. For a crude measure of your score you can do

((no of correct questions/ no of questions)*600)+300

Is this how the real UKCAT score is calculated?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending