The Student Room Group

Kanye West is rumoured to be making a David Bowie tribute album - let's stop this!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James Milibanter
The difference is that Kanye emerged into a genre that was already big, Hip Hop, whilst with Bowie even today it's difficult to put him into one Genre, it's overly simplistic to call him rock and it means nothing to call him pop. With Bowie each single, each album was unchartered territory, as soon as someone could put him into one category he'd emerge as something completely different. Infusing elements from all over the musical spectrum, his creativity (I believe) is unmatched. As for his influence, it knows no bounds. It's understandable that not every one of his albums or singles will be a success because each album was a new venture for him, and the world as a whole as listeners.

David Bowie was innovative "Experimantal" Pop-Rock, don't act like the genre never existed before him and he was some groundbreaking messiah, music has been around for ages and each generation there are a handful of innovators among which was Bowie. But he didn't create some genre out of nothing, he incorporated elements from other genres.. He innovated and introduced new ideas, just as Kanye West did for Hip Hop. Go and find an artists who samples as well as him as a producer pre-2000. You won't find it in Dr Dre, or Snoop or anyone really for that matter. Sure you'll find a couple of one off songs. And each Bowie album was NOT uncharted territory lmao, completely insane, some were but he has another artists worth of trash albums. 90s Bowie was crap, his albums were crap. His first album too was a failure and he had a fair few poorly reviewed albums even in the 70s and his 80's/90's output was horribly reviewed even now, when these things usually get the rose tinted glasses. Not denying he isn't great but you've either not listened to Bowie bar the famous albums or you're talking out your arse.

Re. Hip Hop though, I'm actually a big listener, and though it may be cliched it's cliched for a reason, Eminem holds the top spot. With Bowie it's different because with each album came uncharted territory, from classic rock, to dance, to electronica, to whatever you want to call it, there's not one brush that you can paint him with, but that's just not the case with Kanye. Kanye is a product of several years of Hiphop, whereas Bowie paved the way himself. It's because of this that they're several leagues apart.

LMAO at Eminem holding the top spot, you don't listen to much hip hop do you :sigh: Eminem is one of the greats but not the best, his output has been poor since Curtain Call and his themes are exhausted. He's a 40 year old acting like a 20 year old, it's old now. Technically brilliant but thematically limited. The bit about Kanye is pure ignorance, cba to respond. Kanye isn't some hip hop messiah either, but in now way is he the product of several years of hip hop lol, if that was the case he'd sing innovative gangsta rap which is what 90's and early 2000's hip hop was geared towards, if you listened to GRODT and College Dropout the 2 albums are worlds apart at a time where gangsta rap was dominating for the forseeable.

For the record, I do quite like Kanye, Yeezus was a brilliant album, one of the best produced albums I've ever heard in fact, but I don't think it'll hold up for 50 years. I don't think in 50 years time people will still be singing "stronger" (probably his best known song) yet "Space Oddity" has held up. Kanye is brilliant, but despite that, he's not special.

It's not even elitism, it's just matter of fact. Kanye hasn't even influenced Hip Hop to the extent that Bowie influenced music as a whole.

Jesus Christ lmao, you've no idea. In 50 years time we'll look back at MBDTF as one of the very greatest albums ever made, not just in hip hop but in general.
Original post by lustawny

dank may may bro

Sorry for upsetting the proverbial TSR apple cart. I'll let all of you go back to watching Keeping up with the Kardashians, since you clearly have no idea what truly talented music is.

And I'll let you get back to sitting alone in your room with Nirvana posters (despite probably never listening to them) and listening to some obscure af 70s 'dream experience' musician on your vinyl player whilst you angrily message your other hipster friends and angrily decry our society despite probably having experienced none of it. The fact you hate Kanye so much (I'm guessing you've heard 10 second clips of Power and Stronger but now think you're an expert) suggests that you actually have no idea what talent is, and the fact you hate Kanye fans so much suggests you actually have no idea what music is.
Original post by difeo

Some well informed, educated reasoning behind this opinion I'm sure.

What Bowie albums have you heard from start to finish?

I like Kanye's music (most of it) and have bought every album he has put out, but be real ffs.
Reply 43
Original post by Arkasia
And I'll let you get back to sitting alone in your room with Nirvana posters (despite probably never listening to them) and listening to some obscure af 70s 'dream experience' musician on your vinyl player whilst you angrily message your other hipster friends and angrily decry our society despite probably having experienced none of it. The fact you hate Kanye so much (I'm guessing you've heard 10 second clips of Power and Stronger but now think you're an expert) suggests that you actually have no idea what talent is, and the fact you hate Kanye fans so much suggests you actually have no idea what music is.

I've actually heard both of those songs from start to finish, but why would I bother to go out and buy every single Kanye West album if I don't enjoy his music? Like I've already said, it's mainly his atrocious personality that makes me object to him making a tribute album to David Bowie. I think it's doing a great disservice to Bowie's memory and is in very poor taste, and I'm not sure if Bowie would want to be associated with a person like Kanye West.

If Kanye was such a big David Bowie fan, then why didn't he ever collaborate with him when he was alive? He's clearly just cashing in. There could at least be some consolation in the fact that there's a chance some decent music could come out of all this (and I'm all for that, no matter what my own musical preferences are), but having watched his Bohemian Rapsody video last night, I doubt that very much. Quite frankly, I'm ****ting myself if there is indeed any truth to this rumour.
Original post by somemightsay888
David Bowie was innovative "Experimantal" Pop-Rock, don't act like the genre never existed before him and he was some groundbreaking messiah, music has been around for ages and each generation there are a handful of innovators among which was Bowie. But he didn't create some genre out of nothing, he incorporated elements from other genres.. He innovated and introduced new ideas, just as Kanye West did for Hip Hop. Go and find an artists who samples as well as him as a producer pre-2000. You won't find it in Dr Dre, or Snoop or anyone really for that matter. Sure you'll find a couple of one off songs. And each Bowie album was NOT uncharted territory lmao, completely insane, some were but he has another artists worth of trash albums. 90s Bowie was crap, his albums were crap. His first album too was a failure and he had a fair few poorly reviewed albums even in the 70s and his 80's/90's output was horribly reviewed even now, when these things usually get the rose tinted glasses. Not denying he isn't great but you've either not listened to Bowie bar the famous albums or you're talking out your arse.

"Experimental pop rock", lol what does that even mean? That's about as broad as pop itself, a genre that includes both the Beatles and Katy Perry, but yet wouldn't call them similar. Yes he incorporated elements of electronica, funk, soul, rock, several things. This isn't a case of rock + Reggae = Madness, this is a case of every time a category would be formed Bowie would reform into something else. David Bowie is actually the one album that I don't have of his, but it's David's desire to constantly push the boat out and take risks that makes him so brilliant. Diamond Dogs is probably my favourite Bowie album, obviously not got the same reviews as Let's Dance or the other big ones but it just sums up Bowie in one album. Because no matter how eccentric he goes, he'll always have that guitar chugging away, so despite the massive leaps he took through all his different personas, there's still Bowie there.

LMAO at Eminem holding the top spot, you don't listen to much hip hop do you :sigh: Eminem is one of the greats but not the best, his output has been poor since Curtain Call and his themes are exhausted. He's a 40 year old acting like a 20 year old, it's old now. Technically brilliant but thematically limited. The bit about Kanye is pure ignorance, cba to respond. Kanye isn't some hip hop messiah either, but in now way is he the product of several years of hip hop lol, if that was the case he'd sing innovative gangsta rap which is what 90's and early 2000's hip hop was geared towards, if you listened to GRODT and College Dropout the 2 albums are worlds apart at a time where gangsta rap was dominating for the forseeable.

90s hip hop is actually my favourite. With gems like "I got 5 on it", "gangster's paradise", "Regulate" and "Still D.R.E." and yes I know that these are the mainstream ones but they're mainstream for a reason. You say that I don't listen to much Hip Hop but you'd be surprised, I have Yeezus on vinyl mate. MMLP2 by Eminem was brilliant, Rap God was a piece of artistic brilliance. The difference is that GRODT was by 50 Cent, someone who was actually a "gangster" and pretty much the epitome of east coast, whereas KAnye was about as involved in gang culture as Justin Bieber. For example, "All falls down" despite being a brilliant song is nothing special, it just sounds like several other early 90s hip hop songs.

Jesus Christ lmao, you've no idea. In 50 years time we'll look back at MBDTF as one of the very greatest albums ever made, not just in hip hop but in general.

The thing about Bowie is that it was never for the plaudits, or the money, or the fame. He ended Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars at the end of a concert having not told any of the band prior. He wrote "All the young dudes" for Mott the Hoople when he could have kept it for himself. Look, to sum up everything, Kanye West is making a tribute album for Bowie, would Bowie have done the same for Kanye?

(The answer is probably no)
I've actually heard both of those songs from start to finish, but why would I bother to go out and buy every single Kanye West album if I don't enjoy his music? Like I've already said, it's mainly his atrocious personality that makes me object to him making a tribute album to David Bowie. I think it's doing a great disservice to Bowie's memory and is in very poor taste, and I'm not sure if Bowie would want to be associated with a person like Kanye West.

If Kanye was such a big David Bowie fan, then why didn't he ever collaborate with him when he was alive? He's clearly just cashing in. There could at least be some consolation in the fact that there's a chance some decent music could come out of all this (and I'm all for that, no matter what my own musical preferences are), but having watched his Bohemian Rapsody video last night, I doubt that very much. Quite frankly, I'm ****ting myself if there is indeed any truth to this rumour.

If I had to guess it would probably be something along the same lines as this....

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bowie-on-aborted-coldplay-collab-its-not-a-very-good-song-is-it-20160119
OP is a fedora tipping neckbeard who probably hasn't listened to anything hip-hop bar a 30 second clip from In Da Club back when he was 10. Makes me cringe an 18 year old could type this lmao. Also, PRSOM :'(

.... Are you suggesting, that someone who prefers Bowie to Kanye, is geeky and looserish in nature?

If so, you see that door over there? We all like the occasional hip-hop (who doesn't like to slum it occasionally?) but it has absolutely nothing on Bowie. Especially if you're talking Kanye level hip hop.

Hip hop has absolutely massacred the British music industry.
(edited 8 years ago)

You've heard three tracks :biggrin: It's not difficult to download one of them and if you haven't heard an album of his from start to finish I don't think you can really comment on whether Kanye is good or not or whether you like his music.

I agree with you that he's a bellend but he also makes good music. Can't just let your hatred for him blind you from that fact.

If Kanye was such a big David Bowie fan, then why didn't he ever collaborate with him when he was alive?

Because Bowie was an elusive character since Kanye became famous. I think you might have a point though, I don't think he was much of a Bowie fan, has he ever even sampled one of Bowie's songs lol? And I do wonder if this might be a publicity stunt to promote SWISH which is out next month.
Original post by Twinpeaks
.... Are you suggesting, that someone who prefers Bowie to Kanye, is geeky and looserish in nature?

If so, you see that door over there? Get the **** out. We all like the occasional hip-hop (who doesn't like to slum it occasionally?) but it has absolutely nothing on Bowie. Especially if you talking Kanye level hip hop.

Repped.
Original post by Wilfred Little

Because Bowie was an elusive character since Kanye became famous. I think you might have a point though, I don't think he was much of a Bowie fan, has he ever even sampled one of Bowie's songs lol? And I do wonder if this might be a publicity stunt to promote SWISH which is out next month.

I think it's genuine, and who knows, it may even be good. He hasn't sampled any Bowie songs as far as I know but then again I see that as a good thing.

Why would you bother going out and buying any album at all without having first listened to it? We have things like Spotify and youtube which allow us to listen to music quickly and for free. And his personality has almost nothing to do with his work - look at Ziggy Stardust, one of the most openly pansexual individuals in music, yet Bowie himself was a heterosexual. Or look at Roman Polanski - he was a paedophile but The Pianist was undoubtedly a masterpiece. If you can't separate personality from work, then you aren't going to get very far. I personally think Bowie would be disgusted at the people trying to use his name, face, and legacy in an attempt to censor a musical artist.

Why must a musician collab with another musician to prove they are a fan? That's an incredibly narrow way to view things - does that mean that West, Bowie, or any other musician were fans of no other musicians during their lifetimes beyond those they collab/ed with? No. If Kanye's music isn't your style, then you don't have to listen. If you dislike it, that's fine. But don't try to prevent it from even being made just because you have different tastes.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Repped.

Twin peaks is a music elitist, describes hip hop as "slumming it" so may be snob in general on top of that. Also Twin Peaks said that hip hop destroyed the british music industry, which is plainly false.

If so, you see that door over there? Get the **** out. We all like the occasional hip-hop (who doesn't like to slum it occasionally?) but it has absolutely nothing on Bowie. Especially if you talking Kanye level hip hop.

No, he's suggesting OP is a member of lewronggeneration, and someone who decries modern music like Pop and Rap just because DAE they don't make music like they used to, current stuff is awful etc?

Also interesting to see how you equate hip-hop to 'slumming it'.
Original post by Arkasia

Why must a musician collab with another musician to prove they are a fan? That's an incredibly narrow way to view things - does that mean that West, Bowie, or any other musician were fans of no other musicians during their lifetimes beyond those they collab/ed with? No. If Kanye's music isn't your style, then you don't have to listen. If you dislike it, that's fine. But don't try to prevent it from even being made just because you have different tastes.

+1 for this.

What about all the musicians that are fans of the already passed? Are they not also fans?

For example, "All falls down" despite being a brilliant song is nothing special, it just sounds like several other early 90s hip hop songs.

The thing about Bowie is that it was never for the plaudits, or the money, or the fame. He ended Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars at the end of a concert having not told any of the band prior. He wrote "All the young dudes" for Mott the Hoople when he could have kept it for himself. Look, to sum up everything, Kanye West is making a tribute album for Bowie, would Bowie have done the same for Kanye?

(The answer is probably no)

Will just keep it short as I don't think we'll agree, however I respect your stance(s).

All Falls Down however, is a pretty unique sounding song. Off the top of my head, only The Fugees and Lauryn Hill (Who originally was going to provide the sample to All Falls Down) used soul samples so prominently, not every Kanye song sounds unique or anything but All Falls Down is an unusual one to single out and I don't think there are several songs that sound like it tbh. That's ignoring the lyrics too.

And I'm sure there was an element of fame, glamour and an air of (rightful tbh) arrogance about Bowie; look at some of his quotes, interviews, how he put some of his own character into his personas (The Thin White Duke in particular) and you'll see he wasn't some modest dude, he knew he was a 'game changer'. And none of us can ever answer that for sure, who would ever have seen Kanye and Macca collab 11 years ago? Anyway tbh, this whole thing is overblown, Ye is not going to produce a tribute album, he'll have a tough time getting hold of the sampling rights and all that too.
Will just keep it short as I don't think we'll agree, however I respect your stance(s).

All Falls Down however, is a pretty unique sounding song. Off the top of my head, only The Fugees and Lauryn Hill (Who originally was going to provide the sample to All Falls Down) used soul samples so prominently, not every Kanye song sounds unique or anything but All Falls Down is an unusual one to single out and I don't think there are several songs that sound like it tbh. That's ignoring the lyrics too.

And I'm sure there was an element of fame, glamour and an air of (rightful tbh) arrogance about Bowie; look at some of his quotes, interviews, how he put some of his own character into his personas (The Thin White Duke in particular) and you'll see he wasn't some modest dude, he knew he was a 'game changer'. And none of us can ever answer that for sure, who would ever have seen Kanye and Macca collab 11 years ago? Anyway tbh, this whole thing is overblown, Ye is not going to produce a tribute album, he'll have a tough time getting hold of the sampling rights and all that too.

I completely agree with you in terms of personality. There are slight differences of course, Bowie would never go onto stage and declare himself the "greatest rock and roll star" for example. But yes he was arrogant and egotistical, splitting up the spiders from mars as he did was a testament to that. There are only 2 artists to have ever broke up the band in such a manner, Bowie and Paul Weller from the Jam. In all honesty, I hope it does happen, it could be quite good, I'm not too sure of the samples he'd use so there'll be an element of surprise to it.

I must say Only one and 45seconds were brilliant, though the vocal distortion on Only One was a little OTT imo. I wouldn't be surprised if Kanye was a fan of Macca's though.
Original post by CrateDigger
Some Questions: Do you think you have better taste in music than people who listen to Kanye? Do you objectively perceive Kanye to be 'talentless'? Are you aware that, just because you do not like an artist, that does not mean they are ****, I mean, **** to you maybe, but not EVERY OTHER SENTIENT BEING? Also, you do know just saying an artist is **** in the first place does not really provide a basis for anything? It would be preferable and largely beneficial if you gave a subjective reason, rather than just saying, 'oh he's ****, this guy is waaay more talented'. You clearly have something against Kanye. Is is because he's black? I mean, you appear to be a music snob, I would not be surprised if you were racist too. I guess that is an unfair and largely offensive statement, not much unlike what you yourself are doing here. Alas, I digress. You don't have to listen to the tribute album if you don't want to. Although I have an inkling you'll probably buy it on vinyl and masturbate to it in the depths of your secret Kanye shrine where you sacrifice your blood everyday in the name or lord Kanye. Long Live Yeezy. Amen.

P.S. I'm not a fan of Kanye. I mean, his early stuff was great, incredible in fact, but what he releases now is way too egotistical and thus unlike-able. He raps about fashion and so I couldn't give two ****s. Bowie is a genius and Blackstar is a magnificent album exploring his own death, something strange and painfully sad. Blow me.

I recommend listening to "No More Parties in LA - Kanye ft Kendrick Lamar" the newest preview song of his new album, it is very old school Kanye. I do enjoy his lines about fashion though as it is through fashion and clothing communities that I hear the most about Kanye.
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
I'm someone who takes music pretty seriously as part of my life, think Blackstar is AOTY so far, and listen to more extreme metal than anything else, but it's silly to argue that Kanye West isn't an incredibly significant 21st century artist. Bowie is (was :frown: ) fantastic. West makes good music. I think this could be spectacular.

Lol that wasn't hard to achieve considering it's only January but you're right lol

If so, you see that door over there? Get the **** out. We all like the occasional hip-hop (who doesn't like to slum it occasionally?) but it has absolutely nothing on Bowie. Especially if you're talking Kanye level hip hop.

It's simply a matter of opinion, like for me as someone not British where I'm from although people know of David Bowie it is like how I know about Nirvana, I know Smells like Teens spirit and that is it. I was watching the news with my family and friends this week when Bowie's death came on and somebody even asked who he was.

Whereas some rap artists are seen by a lot of my family members to be 'classic' or 'timeless', obviously me growing up in the UK I have mixed opinions and am a fan of different genres but seriously a lot of these classic musicians are only classic in certain communities in the west.
Oh good grief.

I wondered how long it would be before people jumped on the 'me too, me too, me too' opportunity to monetarily capitalise on Bowie's death.

Sheer unadulterated greed. Shame on them all.

Quick Reply

Latest