The Student Room Group

Access research project

Is there anyone who's done one who could show me it so I get an idea of what it's meant to look like? I've not really received any guidance from my tutors at all and I'm scared of doing it wrong (yes I know you can only get a pass, but I want to do a good job) :frown:
I'm currently trying to drag out my proposal to get to the minimum of 500 words.:smile:

Our tutor said to use surveys with a lot of questions so it gives you lots to talk about to make up the word count. I personally wouldn't waste any more time on it than is absolutely necessary, it's time that could be spent going for merits and distinctions on the other stuff.
Original post by JamesN88
I'm currently trying to drag out my proposal to get to the minimum of 500 words.:smile:

Our tutor said to use surveys with a lot of questions so it gives you lots to talk about to make up the word count. I personally wouldn't waste any more time on it than is absolutely necessary, it's time that could be spent going for merits and distinctions on the other stuff.

I would like to do a PhD in the future though so doing a good job kind of seems like doing myself a favor? I think I'll be alright with the word count as I know my subject well and can refer to a lot of literature, but I'm worried a little about how to structure it well.
Original post by redinthegrey
I would like to do a PhD in the future though so doing a good job kind of seems like doing myself a favor? I think I'll be alright with the word count as I know my subject well and can refer to a lot of literature, but I'm worried a little about how to structure it well.

Fair enough, planning ahead.:smile:

In terms of structure we've been given this brief and then left to our own devices.

Proposal (500-750 words)Identify an appropriate research topic. Submit and implement a proposal which outlines theaims/hypotheses of the project , methods of research to be undertaken and expected problems

(a)Introduction/Context (500-1250 words)Explain the reasons for your choice of topic .Discuss the historical , technical , legal or social background to the topic and previous researchinto this or allied topics

(b)Methodology (500-750 words)Outline and justify your choice of both primary and secondary methods.

(a) Findings (1500-2000 words)Report and analyse the findings from each of your chosen methods (See Methodology) ,including ,where appropriate ,comparisons of results.(Results can be presented in a variety of waysincluding Tables and other graphical methods)

(b) Evaluation of the Findings (250-350 words)Revisit the Rationale to examine whether i) you have been able to do what you intended(ii) your findings match or contradict those of other researchers(Do not introduce any new research at this stage of your research)

(c) Evaluation of the Methodology (200-300 words)Evaluate the research project methodology, identifying strengths and areas for improvementAddress the questions i) ‘How could the choice of research methods have been improved and/or better applied?’(ii) ‘To what extent was the need for confidentiality addressed ?’(iii) ‘How effectively were ethical considerations addressed?(iv)‘What ‘follow-up research could be undertaken?’(Refer to your Research Diary which should be included in the Appendices at the back of the ProjectReport)

(a)ReferencingUse an academically-acceptable system of Referencing (e.g. Harvard referencing) for all texts citedin your project .(b) AppendicesAppendices should appear at the back of the Project including any relevant informationwhich is too bulky for inclusion in the main body of the Project (e.g. Transcripts of Interviews , blankand tallied questionnaires , observation schedules or Press items and your Research Diary) TheAppendices should also feature an Authenticity section including i) A description of the concept of intellectual ownership in relation to primary and secondary(ii) An explanation of how and why secondary sources should be referenced in researchresearchpapers and reports (Define the term ‘plagiarism’ and outline its possibleconsequences/Describe the system used in your project for referencing sources ofinformation)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JamesN88
Fair enough, planning ahead.:smile:

In terms of structure we've been given this brief and then left to our own devices.

Proposal (500-750 words)Identify an appropriate research topic. Submit and implement a proposal which outlines theaims/hypotheses of the project , methods of research to be undertaken and expected problems

(a)Introduction/Context (500-1250 words)Explain the reasons for your choice of topic .Discuss the historical , technical , legal or social background to the topic and previous researchinto this or allied topics

(b)Methodology (500-750 words)Outline and justify your choice of both primary and secondary methods.

(a) Findings (1500-2000 words)Report and analyse the findings from each of your chosen methods (See Methodology) ,including ,where appropriate ,comparisons of results.(Results can be presented in a variety of waysincluding Tables and other graphical methods)

(b) Evaluation of the Findings (250-350 words)Revisit the Rationale to examine whether i) you have been able to do what you intended(ii) your findings match or contradict those of other researchers(Do not introduce any new research at this stage of your research)

(c) Evaluation of the Methodology (200-300 words)Evaluate the research project methodology, identifying strengths and areas for improvementAddress the questions i) ‘How could the choice of research methods have been improved and/or better applied?’(ii) ‘To what extent was the need for confidentiality addressed ?’(iii) ‘How effectively were ethical considerations addressed?(iv)‘What ‘follow-up research could be undertaken?’(Refer to your Research Diary which should be included in the Appendices at the back of the ProjectReport)

(a)ReferencingUse an academically-acceptable system of Referencing (e.g. Harvard referencing) for all texts citedin your project .(b) AppendicesAppendices should appear at the back of the Project including any relevant informationwhich is too bulky for inclusion in the main body of the Project (e.g. Transcripts of Interviews , blankand tallied questionnaires , observation schedules or Press items and your Research Diary) TheAppendices should also feature an Authenticity section including i) A description of the concept of intellectual ownership in relation to primary and secondary(ii) An explanation of how and why secondary sources should be referenced in researchresearchpapers and reports (Define the term ‘plagiarism’ and outline its possibleconsequences/Describe the system used in your project for referencing sources ofinformation)

Thank you :smile: Our Study Skills programme says the report should be approximately 5000 words! But I seem to remember my teacher saying 3000? My memory for numbers is awful though
Reply 5
I just finished mine, it's an absolute slog but has to be done. What James said is spot on, a very good layout for your research project. Follow it and I'm certain you'll be fine with this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending