The Student Room Group

S2 - exam question??

Hello all, I am having a bit of bother with part C of this question - the answer to part A, as you will need it, was 0.3412.

For part C, I thought I would simply need to do:
(0.3412)^2 * 0.6588

I.E. the probability of getting two boxes containing one egg multiplied by the probability of not getting a box containing just one egg. However this not what they did in the markscheme, instead they did something else, yielding a different answer.

Many thanks, help is appreciated in advance!

@Zacken @aymanzayedmannan and other maths wizards to the rescue! <3
Binomial expansion assumes statistical independence so P(A and B and C)=P(A)P(B)P(C) But there are 3 boxes. If you use the combinations that can arise

Let P(D) be the probability when one egg is double yolk and thus D is this event.
D' is the event not occurring.

We want 2 with one double yolks and one without. So DDD', this can have different combinations right. We need to times the combinations by the probability of getting DDD'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
I still don't really understand :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by Cryptokyo
Binomial expansion assumes statistical independence so P(A and B and C)=P(A)P(B)P(C) But there are 3 boxes. If you use the combinations that can arise

Let P(D) be the probability when one egg is double yolk and thus D is this event.
D' is the event not occurring.

We want 2 with one double yolks and one without. So DDD', this can have different combinations right. We need to times the combinations by the probability of getting DDD'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So in that sense couldnt I just do three choose two multiplied by (0.3412)^2 and that multiplied by 0.6588?
I have changed previously above. And now building on from this. The probability of DDD' is P(D)P(D)P(D'). You can find this but now you need to consider how many combinations of D, D and D' you can have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iMacJack
So in that sense couldnt I just do three choose two multiplied by (0.3412)^2 and that multiplied by 0.6588?

But we want combinations and not to choose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Instead we can arrange n objects in n! ways so for 3 objects we can combine them in 6 ways

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
But we want combinations and not to choose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I'm confused :frown:
This is what they did in the markscheme

https://gyazo.com/cfe4a1963ea6bf1c8d065e18ae9ffe9a
Which paper is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
This is Jan 2003 S2 @Cryptokyo
Sorry I read the question wrong for part c. The reason for the choosing now is that 3 boxes have been chosen at random.
Let a = P(D) and b = P(D'). Since we chose 3 at random we obtain a new expansion (a+b)^3 and we are interested in the a^2 b term so it is 3 choose 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Sorry I read the question wrong for part c. The reason for the choosing now is that 3 boxes have been chosen at random.
Let a = P(D) and b = P(D':wink:. Since we chose 3 at random we obtain a new expansion (a+b)^3 and we are interested in the a^2 b term so it is 3 choose 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay mate thank you :smile:
We use binomial expansion for the 3 boxes as they are independent and have choosing combinations

Hope this has helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

Just read the above exchange and I have no clue what's going on. You're all overcomplicating this. This is a simple case of using the binomial distribution. Let XX be the random variable "# of boxes containing exactly 1 egg with a double yolk" then you have 3 boxes, so that's n=3n=3 and the probability of a double yolk is p=0.3412p =0.3412.

i.e: you have XB(3,0.412)X \sim B(3, 0.412) and you want to find "2 boxes containing exactly 1 egg with a double yolk" so you want P(X=2)\mathbb{P}(X =2).

Now look in your formula booklet and you should find that P(X=2)=(32)(0.3412)2(10.3412)1\mathbb{P}(X=2) = {3 \choose 2}(0.3412)^2 (1-0.3412)^1.

This is basically the same thing as you did except you forgot the missing factor of (32){3 \choose 2}.

That's because you did 3 boxes: probability box 1 contains * probability box 2 contains * probability box 3 doesn't contain.

But really, there are three boxes: so you need to add all three probabilities up:

probability box 1 contains * probability box 2 contains * probability box 3 doesn't contain
probability box 1 contains * probability box 3 contains * probability box 2 doesn't contain
probability box 2 contains * probability box 3 contains * probability box 1 doesn't contain

The binomial distribution was invented precisely to avoid listing all these options down which gets tiresome when you do things with more than just 3 boxes, so use it. You'll get used to spotting it once you do more practice.

So sum up, you have a binomial distribution with XB(3,0.3142)X\sim B(3, 0.3142) and you want P(X=2)\mathbb{P}(X=2).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Zacken
Just read the above exchange and I have no clue what's going on. You're all overcomplicating this. This is a simple case of using the binomial distribution. Let XX be the random variable "# of boxes containing exactly 1 egg with a double yolk" then you have 3 boxes, so that's n=3n=3 and the probability of a double yolk is p=0.3412p =0.3412.

i.e: you have XB(3,0.412)X \sim B(3, 0.412) and you want to find "2 boxes containing exactly 1 egg with a double yolk" so you want P(X=2)\mathbb{P}(X =2).

Now look in your formula booklet and you should find that P(X=2)=(32)(0.3412)2(10.3412)1\mathbb{P}(X=2) = {3 \choose 2}(0.3412)^2 (1-0.3412)^1.

This is basically the same thing as you did except you forgot the missing factor of (32){3 \choose 2}.

That's because you did 3 boxes: probability box 1 contains * probability box 2 contains * probability box 3 doesn't contain.

But really, there are three boxes: so you need to add all three probabilities up:

probability box 1 contains * probability box 2 contains * probability box 3 doesn't contain
probability box 1 contains * probability box 3 contains * probability box 2 doesn't contain
probability box 2 contains * probability box 3 contains * probability box 1 doesn't contain

The binomial distribution was invented precisely to avoid listing all these options down which gets tiresome when you do things with more than just 3 boxes, so use it. You'll get used to spotting it once you do more practice.

So sum up, you have a binomial distribution with XB(3,0.3142)X\sim B(3, 0.3142) and you want P(X=2)\mathbb{P}(X=2).

Wow. Now that makes a lot more sense! Yeah I wasn't really sure during the above exchange either, this is much more logical though actually, thank you once more Zain :smile:
Reply 15
Wow. Now that makes a lot more sense! Yeah I wasn't really sure during the above exchange either, this is much more logical though actually, thank you once more Zain :smile:

No problem. Sorry for the late reply, was watching a movie. :-)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Zacken
No problem. Sorry for the later reply, was watching a movie. :-)

Don't worry - I'm lucky to have received help anyway haha! Anything good?
Reply 17
Don't worry - I'm lucky to have received help anyway haha! Anything good?

S'all cool. :yep:
Reply 18

@Zacken @aymanzayedmannan and other maths wizards to the rescue! <3

Sorry for the late reply, I woke up like a few hours ago - seems like you were in good hands though!

Original post by Zacken
No problem. Sorry for the late reply, was watching a movie. :-)

Go do STEP!!!
Reply 19
Original post by aymanzayedmannan

Go do STEP!!!

How much STEP can I do m8 :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest