The Student Room Group

Why is it creepy for guys to check out girls but fine for girls to do the same?

Why exactly is it deemed creepy and sexist for guys to check out girls but perfectly fine for girls to do the same to boys? Seems like a double standard to me

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's a double standard! I feel like it's may be due to men being portrayed in predatory ways (again it's a social construction)
Women aren't usually portrayed as someone that can attack or stalk or man (although we all know this isn't true)
Just another example of the general bias that exists and is bigotedly accepted in our society.
Idc if it's creepy or not, I'll check out a girl if i feel like it no matter what.
Reply 4
I don't think it is, I've seen guys check out girls loads of times and they weren't labelled a creep, it's a pretty normal thing to do... I think your just looking for something to complain about.
Original post by Bambamchum
Idc if it's creepy or not, I'll check out a girl if i feel like it no matter what.

That's the spirit
Reply 6
It's not creepy either way providing it's not excessive and is context appropriate.
It seems to me that men seem to like any attention they can get for their looks, whereas the lasses aren't like that for reasons I cannot really rationalise.

That combined with certain narratives that men are somehow more predatory (basically what the first poster was bangin on about) leads to this kinda weird standard.

In the end though it doesn't matter. Idgaf what people think I'll admire dat ass if I damn well want to.
As long as you're inconspicuous about it, it's fine lol, for both genders
because we live in a partly misandrist culture with things like this where men are assumed to be perverts, violent, paedophiles, etc whereas women aren't
and you look at me like I'm crazy for using the M word but then this thread's topic kind of proves it
Original post by Bambamchum

so alpha
What does 'check out' mean?
Feminism.
probably cause when guys are checking girls out they are thinking of the many different ways they would like to bang them.
when girls are checking guys out it's assumed they are just aesthetically admiring.

generally anyway.

Spoiler

What led me here :colonhash:
Original post by alkaline.
probably cause when guys are checking girls out they are thinking of the many different ways they would like to bang them.
when girls are checking guys out it's assumed they are just aesthetically admiring.

generally anyway.

Spoiler

Well I'm hot (no arrogance intended) so it's okay for me to do it so i do do it!
Original post by EricPiphany

From what I've observed, it's that thing you do after you've got all your bits and pieces at a supermarket

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
What led me here :colonhash:

the road to success
Original post by intelligent con
Why exactly is it deemed creepy and sexist for guys to check out girls but perfectly fine for girls to do the same to boys? Seems like a double standard to me

Yeah that's what I was wondering yesterday and today's so called "society" is about gender equality
Original post by EricPiphany

Staring at one's genitals.

Quick Reply

Latest