The Student Room Group

What's up with 18 year olds finding even 22 year olds oldfor trying to flirt with o?

Few weeks ago, an 18 year old said I am too old for her when I tried to ask her out for a coffee as I am 22 but it was understandable as she was just fresh out of high school and just started college whereas I just graduated college and about to study MBA soon. But I have been chatting with another girl on Instagram who used to be in the same school as me but different college. She is also 18 but she literally entered 2nd year of college but she has a late birthday and will be 19 soon. After chatting for a while, I asked her for a virtual hug and she literally replied "It's literally creepy of you being a 22 year old to text an 18 year old like this". I mean wtf how is a 3-4 year age gap creepy. I am not some 30 or 40 year old creeping on her. 22 is young and close enough to 18 so why did she say that? For some reason I see 18 and 22 gets criticized even more than 16 and 20. She is almost 19 plus she isn't even fresh out of HS. She has been in college for over a year. How am I creep for messaging her? We are both students. Why do some 18 year olds treat even 21 and 22 to be really old for them? Like even the ones in college? Even the half your age plus 7 rule satisfies for me as according to the rule she can date at max 22 or even 23 as she is nearly 19. Why is even a small 3 or 4 year age gap such a big deal between young adults? Why is the word creepy being used for a 22 year old trying to flirt with an 18 year old college student who has been out of HS for over year already?
They're entitled to set a limit that they feel is personally too old for them. Remember that most young people aren't used to dating outside of their year group and therefore place a lot of emphasis on age.

Accept that these women you have spoken to feel a 22 year old is too old for them, apologise, learn from it, and move on.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Few weeks ago, an 18 year old said I am too old for her when I tried to ask her out for a coffee as I am 22 but it was understandable as she was just fresh out of high school and just started college whereas I just graduated college and about to study MBA soon. But I have been chatting with another girl on Instagram who used to be in the same school as me but different college. She is also 18 but she literally entered 2nd year of college but she has a late birthday and will be 19 soon. After chatting for a while, I asked her for a virtual hug and she literally replied "It's literally creepy of you being a 22 year old to text an 18 year old like this". I mean wtf how is a 3-4 year age gap creepy. I am not some 30 or 40 year old creeping on her. 22 is young and close enough to 18 so why did she say that? For some reason I see 18 and 22 gets criticized even more than 16 and 20. She is almost 19 plus she isn't even fresh out of HS. She has been in college for over a year. How am I creep for messaging her? We are both students. Why do some 18 year olds treat even 21 and 22 to be really old for them? Like even the ones in college? Even the half your age plus 7 rule satisfies for me as according to the rule she can date at max 22 or even 23 as she is nearly 19. Why is even a small 3 or 4 year age gap such a big deal between young adults? Why is the word creepy being used for a 22 year old trying to flirt with an 18 year old college student who has been out of HS for over year already?

If you read back over all the other threads you've made on this, I think you'll find it's not the age gap that is an issue, but the 'virtual hug' stuff.

And it's immature to be flitting from girl to girl wanting to be in a relationship with one. The first girl was the one you were on love with, remember?
Age gaps matter more when you are young, you're like 4 summer holidays older, that's like a small lifetime

Also begging for virtual hugs does sounds pretty creepy/cringeworthy and will have done nothing to help you relate to them.
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
Age gaps matter more when you are young, you're like 4 summer holidays older, that's like a small lifetime

Also begging for virtual hugs does sounds pretty creepy/cringeworthy and will have done nothing to help you relate to them.

Actually she replied that it isn't the age. she found it creepy because we don't know each other and she expected me to know it better at 22.
Reply 5
Original post by Surnia
If you read back over all the other threads you've made on this, I think you'll find it's not the age gap that is an issue, but the 'virtual hug' stuff.

And it's immature to be flitting from girl to girl wanting to be in a relationship with one. The first girl was the one you were on love with, remember?

Yeah but my childhood friend hasn't been replying to me for a month. She is so inactive on Instagram
Actually she replied that it isn't the age. she found it creepy because we don't know each other and she expected me to know it better at 22.

So it isn't about the age, but it's about the age.
Reply 7
Original post by 1582
They're entitled to set a limit that they feel is personally too old for them. Remember that most young people aren't used to dating outside of their year group and therefore place a lot of emphasis on age.

Accept that these women you have spoken to feel a 22 year old is too old for them, apologise, learn from it, and move on.

Actually she just replied that she finds it creepy as we don't even know each other and I am asking for hugs
Reply 8
So it isn't about the age, but it's about the age.

But I also chat with another girl who is 19 and we flirt daily and she doesn't mind my age at all. We are only 3 years apart in age. She even calls me gentle and sweet and we even send each other virtual hugs. Would you really feel 19 and 22 is still as bad as 18 and 22?
But I also chat with another girl who is 19 and we flirt daily and she doesn't mind my age at all. We are only 3 years apart in age. She even calls me gentle and sweet and we even send each other virtual hugs. Would you really feel 19 and 22 is still as bad as 18 and 22?

Another girl is another girl *shrug*

It's not even matter of 'as bad as' Its a simply difference in time perception and experiences, the younger you are the more significant the gap seems in most cases. - imo it's a big factor in different generations failing to relate over time.
Reply 10
Another girl is another girl *shrug*

It's not even matter of 'as bad as' Its a simply difference in time perception and experiences, the younger you are the more significant the gap seems in most cases. - imo it's a big factor in different generations failing to relate over time.

So would you still judge me if I ask out this 19 year old even though I am only 3 years older than her? I only want your opinion about 19 and 22. I am a soon to be an MBA student and just completed college almost 2 weeks ago and she entered 2nd year of college.
Reply 11
So would you still judge me if I ask out this 19 year old even though I am only 3 years older than her? I only want your opinion about 19 and 22. I am a soon to be an MBA student and just completed college almost 2 weeks ago and she entered 2nd year of college.

I wouldn't judge you for the age gap, but I would judge you for being fickle and playing the field...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending