The Student Room Group

Textbook vs Purely past papers

Hi, Quick question... is it worth doing textbook questions for maths?
More specifically, for C2, C3 and C4?
I don't mind doing them as they're good practice but THERE IS SO MANY questions. They take a long time and I have around 2 months.
I can do past papers, but I lose around 10 marks for basic slips that create a domino effect.
If more practice of textbook questions will help me overcome the silly mistakes I make, I don't mind doing them.
But I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time.
I don't really want to exhaust my past papers either.

Oh, also, I find that the papers from 2005 to around 2008 are insanely easier than those post 2008 (AQA maths)
Should I still do them anyway?
(edited 8 years ago)
I see no value in repeating questions which are essentially clones of each other with slightly varied values. I would recommend doing the last few questions of each exercise as these tend to be trickier as they combine multiple techniques. And then do the mixed exercise at the end of chapters as well as end of section reviews.

Only practice will help you with your tendency to make silly mistakes. You could try Soloman papers and reserve some AQA papers for mocks.
Reply 2
I have a friend who doesn't touch past papers and relies only on the textbook and he's doing quite well. I'm quite the opposite though - I just like doing the ones that look hard or a certain type of question and then move on to the next topic. Just do the mixed exercises if you've already covered the topic. :smile:
Reply 3
Ooh ok, thanks!
Also, everyone highly recommends examsolutions and he is really good but my maths teacher this year is amazing alhamdulillah! It doesn't even feel like maths with him, more of 'differentiate this, and stick it on the top and do this and stick it on the bottom and you're done'.

So only refer to examsolutions if help is needed? Or just listen to his videos anyway?

And how do you work on C4 trig identity spotting? I'm so bad with this.

I tried the past paper approach and would complete C3 papers in 40mins or so but come out with 67/75 due to silly mistakes (alhamdulillah not bad but kind of depending on C3 as opposed to C4). I'm really impatient and lazy so don't check over my paper. If I don't understand the question within the first few seconds, I become really lazy with it.

Oh and are solomon papers worth doing? Like a MUST or can I get away without dong them? (Aiming for an A*)

Thanks!

Original post by aymanzayedmannan
I have a friend who doesn't touch past papers and relies only on the textbook and he's doing quite well. I'm quite the opposite though - I just like doing the ones that look hard or a certain type of question and then move on to the next topic. Just do the mixed exercises if you've already covered the topic. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by chanda01

Oh and are solomon papers worth doing? Like a MUST or can I get away without dong them? (Aiming for an A*)

I certainly don't think they're a must, but mileage varies.
Reply 5
Ooh ok, thanks!
Also, everyone highly recommends examsolutions and he is really good but my maths teacher this year is amazing alhamdulillah! It doesn't even feel like maths with him, more of 'differentiate this, and stick it on the top and do this and stick it on the bottom and you're done'.

So only refer to examsolutions if help is needed? Or just listen to his videos anyway?

And how do you work on C4 trig identity spotting? I'm so bad with this.

I tried the past paper approach and would complete C3 papers in 40mins or so but come out with 67/75 due to silly mistakes (alhamdulillah not bad but kind of depending on C3 as opposed to C4). I'm really impatient and lazy so don't check over my paper. If I don't understand the question within the first few seconds, I become really lazy with it.

Thanks!

You're on the right track for an A*, iA :smile:

Examsolutions isn't necessary if you understand everything and you have a good teacher. I'd suggest you focus on exam technique, that seems to be your biggest issue.

Solomon papers definitely aren't necessary and I personally do not like them nor use them. Edexcel have released over 30 past papers so those should be more than enough!
Reply 6

Go to bed ffs
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
Go to bed ffs

I actually have. Woke up because I was feeling unwell, probably are something nasty. :redface:

It's not exactly sunshine and rainbows in Moka now. :rofl: Catch some Zs, help people with maths later. :biggrin:
Reply 8
I actually have. Woke up because I was feeling unwell, probably are something nasty. :redface:

It's not exactly sunshine and rainbows in Moka now. :rofl: Catch some Zs, help people with maths later. :biggrin:

Same goes for you, get some rest, hope you feel better soon. :redface:
Reply 9
Ah, awesome.
Jazakallah khair.

AQA have around 20 so I guess that should be enough insha'Allah.

Apologies, tsr won't allow me to rep you again -.-

You're on the right track for an A*, iA :smile:

Examsolutions isn't necessary if you understand everything and you have a good teacher. I'd suggest you focus on exam technique, that seems to be your biggest issue.

Solomon papers definitely aren't necessary and I personally do not like them nor use them. Edexcel have released over 30 past papers so those should be more than enough!
Reply 10
Ah, awesome.
Jazakallah khair.

AQA have around 20 so I guess that should be enough insha'Allah.

Apologies, tsr won't allow me to rep you again -.-

No worries, it's the thought that counts! :biggrin:
A levels: practice is key (trust me on this). theory also helps but for a levels, you have to answer it the way the exam board expects you to answer for gain full marks. using your own equations, whilst good from a convenience point and good for solving answers, will lose you marks in a levels

Quick Reply

Latest