The Student Room Group

Democracy in America: Your votes don't matter?

Democrat

Republican

If Trump does not win the nomination, despite practically having twice as many delegates (possibly more) I think we need mass protests. Maybe Sanders supporters will join too what with the superdelegate system screwing him.

You may hate Trump because of his stance on immigration but there is a reason this establishment does not want him and it is his foreign policy.

Trump is not anti-war by any means, but he wants a smart foreign policy.
He isn't going to go into another country and force a regime change and further destabilise the Middle East. He has even talked about working with Russia to defeat ISIS. They hate that idea!

Hillary Clinton is a liberal interventionist, Cruz is a neo-con. They're no different.
If trump doesn't get the nomination there will be riots
This is politics - regardless of what the people want, I feel the 'establishment' will win in Washington. I vehemently dislike Trump and Sanders, but I'm glad they're sending a strong warning to the committees of both parties.
Reply 3
Original post by Aceadria
This is politics - regardless of what the people want, I feel the 'establishment' will win in Washington. I vehemently dislike Trump and Sanders, but I'm glad they're sending a strong warning to the committees of both parties.

Why wouldn't you vehemently dislike Clinton?
I think there could genuinely be riots if there is a contested convention and Trump doesn't get the nomination. Regardless of how anyone feels about him the numbers show he is the peoples' choice. It would also be another sign of how corrupt and self-serving the US establishment is which is one of the reasons people are voting for Tump in the first place.
Original post by jamiep151
I think there could genuinely be riots if there is a contested convention and Trump doesn't get the nomination. Regardless of how anyone feels about him the numbers show he is the peoples' choice. It would also be another sign of how corrupt and self-serving the US establishment is which is one of the reasons people are voting for Tump in the first place.

In a contest that demands that a winner gets gets an absolute majority, he will have only achieved a plurality.

The word "plurality" is an Americanism. The British don't even have a word for getting more votes than anyone else but not enough. Americans expect someone to get 50%+1 to say they have "won" a contest.

I would be extremely surprised if there is civil disruption. A lone nutter with a gun or a bomb is a more likley response.
Original post by nulli tertius
In a contest that demands that a winner gets gets an absolute majority, he will have only achieved a plurality.

The word "plurality" is an Americanism. The British don't even have a word for getting more votes than anyone else but not enough. Americans expect someone to get 50%+1 to say they have "won" a contest.

I would be extremely surprised if there is civil disruption. A lone nutter with a gun or a bomb is a more likley response.

I'm aware that without 50+1 he wont have officially won, but the numbers will show he is by far the most popular choice. As such despite failing to reach the number of delegates to secure the nomination choosing someone in his place will very much look like the republican establishment ignoring the will of the people.
lol
Original post by jamiep151
I'm aware that without 50+1 he wont have officially won, but the numbers will show he is by far the most popular choice. As such despite failing to reach the number of delegates to secure the nomination choosing someone in his place will very much look like the republican establishment ignoring the will of the people.

Although Trump's supporters will portray it that way, that is not how most Americans will think.
Although Trump's supporters will portray it that way, that is not how most Americans will think.

It will be interesting to see if this is the case, as a Brit obviously my knowledge on how an American would see this is limited. All I can say is this is definitely how I would expect most Brits to see it and when trying to gauge the American reaction must rely on the media. This obviously is then bias as if you believe Fox they wont care if you believe Brietbart they will care. Again I wouldn't say I was a Trump supporter (not sure who I would vote for if I was American) but him not getting the nomination does look like an establishment power grab, especially with the alliances going on to ensure a contested convention.
The sense of entitlement in American voters is unbelievable.

As American citizens, they have the right to vote in general elections. They do not have any rights with regard to individual parties' nomination processes. The parties are entitled to set up whatever systems they damn well please in that regard.

Original post by CarlTheCuck
If trump doesn't get the nomination there will be riots

Trump is obviously going to get the nomination at this point.

OK, but who can they replace him with? Cruz and Kasich are even bigger losers. The rest of the Republican field bigger losers still. Mitt Romney is king of the losers.

If he hadn't disgraced himself they could have drafted General Petraeus. Otherwise, hard to see who they can give the nomination to without alienating enough Trump supporters that the election becomes unwinnable anyway.
Original post by Observatory
OK, but who can they replace him with? Cruz and Kasich are even bigger losers. The rest of the Republican field bigger losers still. Mitt Romney is king of the losers.

If he hadn't disgraced himself they could have drafted General Petraeus. Otherwise, hard to see who they can give the nomination to without alienating enough Trump supporters that the election becomes unwinnable anyway.

Very difficult and perhaps impossible.

But there comes a point where the Republicans will give up on the Presidency and fight to save their position in Congress, governors' mansions and state houses.

The period until the Convention will give a better idea of how his demographics play out and I suspect they will play very badly.

Any candidate will have to be someone who has not run this time or probably last.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending