The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dr_Sir
Hi Guys

does anyone have any notes for

"Discuss disruption of biological rhythms, for example shift work/jet lag (24 marks)"

I'm struggling with my line of argument, Currently I have Knutsson for beefing out my A01 for shift work

I'm using Krueger (lack of SWS = less white blood cells and decreased immune system effectiveness, therefor supporting Knutsson)

However I'm missing an A01 study for jet lag, Could I use Recht and then argue in A02 that 1 individual could have carried the teams and that using american baseball teams wins vs losses could not be a consistent way of measuring the effect of disruption as 1 team could have had better sleeping conditions on the planes and had better training for adjustments to circadian rhythms than the other?

You do know it isn't a requirement to have studies in AO1?
Could you get away with learning just 2 sleep disorders? insomnia (primary and secondary- basically classed as 2 separate disorders) and narcolepsy?
Reply 422
Original post by A-LJLB
You do know it isn't a requirement to have studies in AO1?

Yes but i feel comfortable doing so, gives me more to talk about in my A02
Reply 423
Original post by Cakey_101
Could you get away with learning just 2 sleep disorders? insomnia (primary and secondary- basically classed as 2 separate disorders) and narcolepsy?

the spread in the book on insomnia is awful, No you need to Know insomnia (bedtime routines etc) and Narcoleps (HLA and Hypocretin)

I wouldn't, as they may ask a split question on just one of the disorders, for example a 4+8 marker on a named disorder
Unit 3: Perception, Aggression, Sleep
Unit 4: Depression, Addiction, RM.

Dreading aggression + sleep...very dry and very lengthy
Original post by Dr_Sir
Yes but i feel comfortable doing so, gives me more to talk about in my A02

Interesting... So your AO2 is based on the studies mentioned in your AO1? I've never heard of it being done that way! :smile:
hi guys,
im studying:
psya3 - aggression, eating behaviour and cognitions and development
psya4 - OCD, addictions and research methods

if you need any good essays for these topics, ive been adding some to this website, i will be adding more soon!
https://psychologya2modelanswers.wordpress.com/
Ah, have they ever done that before? for example just ask specifically about narcolepsy or sleep walking?

Original post by wabbit998
I wouldn't, as they may ask a split question on just one of the disorders, for example a 4+8 marker on a named disorder
Ah, have they ever done that before? for example just ask specifically about narcolepsy or sleep walking?

last year there was a 4 marker on narcolepsy.
Reply 430
We've been told that if we get a 10/12 mark question on writing up the methods section of a report in PSYA4 then it's okay to bullet point the answer as long as it includes all the necessary info. E.g:

Design

- research design: matched pairs
- research method: lab experiment

Participants

- 20 students from London
- male and female

And so on. Will anyone else be doing this? I'm unsure of doing it as I think a long question should be written out properly.
Original post by sky1998
We've been told that if we get a 10/12 mark question on writing up the methods section of a report in PSYA4 then it's okay to bullet point the answer as long as it includes all the necessary info. E.g:

Design

Participants

- male and female

And so on. Will anyone else be doing this? I'm unsure of doing it as I think a long question should be written out properly.

I would only bullet point it if I was running out of time.
Original post by sky1998

Design

Participants

- male and female

I wouldn't risk is as questions like that tend to have to be answered with "continual prose"
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 433
Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks.
Reply 434
Anyone have a good structure for unit 3? i.e. how much A01, A02, A03 and IDA? Also I'm struggling a lot with unit 4 essay structure such as schizophrenia because IDAs are not as essential for unit 4 as they are not unit 3 so I'm not sure how much A02 is enough.. Any suggestions?
Original post by yasx_
Anyone have a good structure for unit 3? i.e. how much A01, A02, A03 and IDA? Also I'm struggling a lot with unit 4 essay structure such as schizophrenia because IDAs are not as essential for unit 4 as they are not unit 3 so I'm not sure how much A02 is enough.. Any suggestions?

I have followed a similar structure for schizophrenia as I have in psya3 because even though ao3 is not explicitly stated you would still get the marks for it if it is relevant.
For example the biological approach is reductionist because it doesn't take it account other factors for example... And reduces schizophrenia down to our hormonal balances. A more holistic approach would consider social/ psychological factors eg...
Something like that anyways

Ps. How long does it take you guys to learn an essay, because I've only learnt 2 so far and it is taking forever and I keep forgetting stuff
Original post by Dmatb567
Hey for a02/3 would examiners prefer e.g. 4 well developed long points or would they prefer maybe 6 short clear and structured points? or does it not matter

there is a depth/breadth trade off so either would be fine but i tend to go in to more detail on less points as i think it helps you get better AO2/3 marks :smile:
can someone advise on the way you would structure a question that beings 'Outline and evaluate research in to'... someone told me that you can just write the exact same as you would for the standard essay but I'm not sure if this is true?
Does anyone have any tips and techniques for memorising essays? I've done a model answer for most of the topics now but am really struggling to remember the essays
Any of you guys do anomalistic psychology?😵

Does anyone have an essay on the below topic...

Discuss Issues Surrounding the Classification and Diagnosis of Phobic disorders. (8 + 16 marks)

Latest

Trending

Trending