The Student Room Group

Why STEM is objectively superior to non STEM degrees.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by STEMisSuperior.
They let you? well done on that

I have to make up for the maths units I missed in my first year to forego an outside option in the 2nd year, but there's no quota for transferring into BSc Econ in LSE 2nd year. Almost all first years take the same stuff except the LLBs and the other near 0 quantitative subjects.
Reply 141
The criteria is career prospects, intelligence and required thinking ability, maximum capability, salary and overall usefulness. What other criteria can you think of in a practical sense that wouldnt subjectify this topic?

I see. Can you justify ascribing value to those criteria in way that isn't subjective?
I reply to your posts and showed you why you're wrong. You then choose to make unsupported claims (where have i contradicted myself?, I did always say law required logic and reasoning)

I have concluded you're just butthurt.

Where did you show me I'm wrong? I asked you two questions and you evaded both.

You said Law is mostly 'regurgitating' with some logic and reasoning, and so it is still far inferior to STEM subjects. But it's not about law, it's about all other subjects - what makes you think literary interpretation does not require logic and reasoning?

Exactly - you don't because you've never done the subjects per at a high level.

As such, the claims are not unsupported and, as such, I knee-jerk reactions are expected.
Original post by Comus
I see. Can you justify ascribing value to those criteria in way that isn't subjective?

Because there are plenty of facts that support what i have said. Some i have posted on this thread already.
Original post by Comus

This.

OP, you think you're being objective, but you're not. Everything you have said in this thread is your own opinion.
Original post by *stefan*
i have. You have contradicted yourself at leat 3 times (just from your replies to me, not generally).

I have, nonetheless, gotten my answer, which is that an immature person is trying to validate his choices and endorse his self-imagined superiority.

thank you
Original post by *Stefan*
Where did you show me I'm wrong? I asked you two questions and you evaded both.

You said Law is mostly 'regurgitating' with some logic and reasoning, and so it is still far inferior to STEM subjects. But it's not about law, it's about all other subjects - what makes you think literary interpretation does not require logic and reasoning?

Exactly - you don't because you've never done the subjects per at a high level.

As such, the claims are not unsupported and, as such, I knee-jerk reactions are expected.

Ok now you're just putting words in my mouth. Read all my posts where i spoke about law, you will find i said otherwise.
You are so incredibly insecure OP. I'm not even bothering addressing most of your points as the logic behind them is BS to start with.

Why is it that some STEM students on TSR are by FAR the ones with the greatest chip on their shoulders and severe superiority complexes? My god, there are CEOs with History degrees with greater earning potential than most STEM students will have in their lives.

Learn to be more respectful and not boast about nonsense like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 148
Because there are plenty of facts that support what i have said.

Let's suppose that it is objectively true that STEM graduates have better "career prospects, [higher] intelligence and required thinking ability, maximum capability, salary and overall usefulness", why should it follow that these criteria are objectively important?
Ok now you're just putting words in my mouth. Read all my posts where i spoke about law, you will find i said otherwise.

Law is mostly memorising and learning things by heart but certain aspects like some game theory (prisoners dilemma etc) require skills that are more logical. So you definitely need to be intelligent to do Law and isnt on the same level as something like Sociology.

Notice the comparative there. Let alone the fact that you're talking about Sociology as if you've experienced the subject at a higher level.

Done.
Original post by Comus
Let's suppose that it is objectively true that STEM graduates have better "career prospects, [higher] intelligence and required thinking ability, maximum capability, salary and overall usefulness", why should it follow that these criteria are objectively important?

Can you suggest criteria that is better? And im talking about criteria that you can objectify to a fair extent.
Notice the comparative there. Let alone the fact that you're talking about Sociology as if you've experienced the subject at a higher level.

Done.

Yes, skills more logical than that of other non stem degrees. Your point?
I wonder what your people skills are like, OP.

Also, it would not be wise to assume you are going to walk into a job just because you have a degree from a good uni.
Original post by Princepieman
You are so incredibly insecure OP. I'm not even bothering addressing most of your points as the logic behind them is BS to start with.

Why is it that some STEM students on TSR are by FAR the ones with the greatest chip on their shoulders and severe superiority complexes? My god, there are CEOs with History degrees with greater earning potential than most STEM students will have in their lives.

Learn to be more respectful and not boast about nonsense like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont hold an superiority complex, i as person am not superior to anyone with a non STEM background. I've simply pointed out why a STEM degree is better than one that is a non STEM degree. There are degrees within the STEM category that can be better in their own respect.
Yes, skills more logical than that of other non stem degrees. Your point?

Ok, never mind. Apparently you can't even understand a simple sentence. So much for superiority. Lol.
Reply 155
Can you suggest criteria that is better?

You're the one making the claim, the burden of proof is lies on you. Scentific method 101.

And im talking about criteria that you can objectify to a fair extent

Salary is measureable, the others are contentious at best - and you've still not shown why those things are objectively important.
Ok, never mind. Apparently you can't even understand a simple sentence. So much for superiority. Lol.

Oh, the irony! Is this your go to sentence when you realise you're wrong?
Original post by Comus
You're the one making the claim, the burden of proof is lies on you. Scentific method 101.

You questioned the criteria hence the burden is on you to suggest something better.
Original post by Comus
Salary is measureable, the others are contentious at best - and you've still not shown why those things are objectively important.

In terms of intelligence - You can look at grades.
In terms of career prospects - You can look at employability + criteria for jobs

Earlier i posted links, you are obliged to go back and check them out.

In terms of intelligence - You can look at grades.
In terms of career prospects - You can look at employability + criteria for jobs

Earlier i posted links, you are obliged to go back and check them out.

Except the same finance firms you're appeasing are actually pushing towards hiring more humanities and nontraditional students than cookie cutter 'econ/maths' grads.

Source:http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/243963/getting-a-job-at-goldman-sachs/?utm_source=GLOBAL_ENG&utm_medium=SM_FB&utm_campaign=ARTICLE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, the irony! Is this your go to sentence when you realise you're wrong?

Apparently you don't understand what 'you're wrong' means either, given I quoted your own post which directly contradicted what you said.

Case dismissed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending