The Student Room Group

Edexcel economics unit 1 and 2 retakes

Scroll to see replies

What data response did you do..

I did the one about iron ores. I think most of the multiple choice questions were good. What did everyone put for the buffer stock scheme question? I said the government will sell wheat from its stockpile as in 2016 it had a bad harvest.

For the YED question I said that the income elasticity ofdemand I think was it for fish was greater than the other one (I can't remember all the meats)- I put down D. For the very first question I also put D as producing more capital goods results in long term economic growth. For the producer surplus I said technology will increase producer surplus as costs of production will be lower.

Does anyone remember the other MCQ's??
Reply 21
Original post by ACTT
What other multiple choice questions were there

There was the question on PED and price falling from 600 to 500 - I calculated the PED for the initial price change and came to the conclusion that demand was price elastic. I said that an increase in price will lead to a fall in revenue as a rise in price will lead to a more than proportionate fall in demand and hence, revenue.
Original post by amg96
There was the question on PED and price falling from 600 to 500 - I calculated the PED for the initial price change and came to the conclusion that demand was price elastic. I said that an increase in price will lead to a fall in revenue as a rise in price will lead to a more than proportionate fall in demand and hence, revenue.

But the revenue increased from £100,000 to £180,000 and how would you calculate PED without figures of changes in quantity demanded ?
Original post by amg96

correct
Original post by A-LevelEconomist
But the revenue increased from £100,000 to £180,000 and how would you calculate PED without figures of changes in quantity demanded ?

Didn't it say the price rose from £500 to £600?
Reply 25

There were figures on the diagram - i.e. price falling from £600 to £500 and demand rising from 200 to 300. The figures were there.

yes, which lead to a decrease in revenue because demand is elastic
Original post by amg96
There were figures on the diagram - i.e. price falling from £600 to £500 and demand rising from 200 to 300. The figures were there.

Yes I'm pretty sure the questions said that the holiday company was going to INCREASE the price from £500 to £600 for the Ibiza holiday..
Original post by epic within

revenue decreased either by 5000 or 3000 don't remember the number though
What data response did you do..

I did the one about iron ores. I think most of the multiple choice questions were good. What did everyone put for the buffer stock scheme question? I said the government will sell wheat from its stockpile as in 2016 it had a bad harvest.

For the YED question I said that the income elasticity ofdemand I think was it for fish was greater than the other one (I can't remember all the meats)- I put down D. For the very first question I also put D as producing more capital goods results in long term economic growth. For the producer surplus I said technology will increase producer surplus as costs of production will be lower.

Does anyone remember the other MCQ's??

I did the iron ore one as well, yeah I put all the same answers as you I think and it was meat had a higher income elasticity than fish. Tbh, I can't really remember many of them! There was one about the price mechanism and I said it was a signal for firms, and that's all I can remember!
Reply 30

Yes, after the initial price rise - I think we're meant to calculate the initial PED value.
Original post by epic within

But revenue increased from £100,000 to 180,000.

Originally at the price or £500, 200 was quantity demanded =£100,000

The new price of £600, 300 was the quantity demanded, =180,000
Reply 32
Original post by amg96
Yes, after the initial price rise - I think we're meant to calculate the initial PED value.

PED was around 1.3
Reply 33
Can we make an unofficial mark scheme?
Reply 34

The new price
of £600, 300 was the quantity demanded, =180,000

Quantity was 200 at £600
Quantity was 300 at £500
Original post by amg96
For the producer surplus one, I put down successful advertising as my diagram after showing an outward shift in demand increased my producer surplus. A rise in supply, caused by a rise in supply, will lead to a fall in producer surplus.

The iron ores question was alright.

From what I can remember, I think it said a successful advertising campaign for tea so it would cause a decrease in demand for coffee. I think I put the increase in technology for coffee production as from the diagram I drew, the surplus did look a bit bigger but it could be wrong.
Reply 36
Original post by emilia_claire
From what I can remember, I think it said a successful advertising campaign for tea so it would cause a decrease in demand for coffee. I think I put the increase in technology for coffee production as from the diagram I drew, the surplus did look a bit bigger but it
could be wrong.

Technological improvement Lowers cost of production for instant coffee firms, increases producer surplus

The new price of £600, 300 was the quantity demanded, =180,000

No, £600 had 200 and £500 had 300
Demand is inverse to price
Original post by ACTT
Quantity was 200 at £600
Quantity was 300 at £500

My bad! I put down the PED formula though and edited the elasticities so hopefully only 2 marks were lost :s-smilie:
Original post by amg96

But I thought the elasticity varied along the curve so the top of the demand curve is elastic, the middle is unit elasticity and the bottom end is inelastic so a rise in price would make it price elastic, causing a decrease in revenue. I didn't do any calculations though :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending