The Student Room Group

Retaking Year 12 To Change Subjects?

Hi everyone.

I am currently at the end of Year 12 studying Maths, Biology and Chemistry, however I really dislike Chemistry and want to change it to another subject (Economics or Further Maths).

The only option for me to be able to change subjects is to retake Year 12, meaning an extra year of A-levels.

Would you recommend me to retake the year so I can do subjects I like, or to just try my hardest to get a good grade in Chemistry and then move on?

Any help will be appreciated :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Ask if your school can allow you to do year 2 Maths, Biology and year 1 Further Maths/Economics. Many of my peers who disliked one of their A levels dropped it, and took 2 A-levels this year, and the following year they are going to take the other one.
However, most schools have very different procedures, so I would be wary about this option as there may be timetabled clashes.

Moreover, I would only continue Chemistry if you have a real chance at progressing. If you have a A or B, you should consider continuing. You could alternatively use this summer to fix the grade. If you truly feel chemistry is a dead end, drop it.

The third option is retake all 3 of them. While it seems your "behind", assuming you have good grades in Maths/Bio, you would be chilling the year and only working really on 1
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Thank you for the response.
For the 1st option, would that still mean doing an extra year of A-levels, or are you saying to do both Year 1 and Year 2 for the subject in a single year?
Original post by federated12
Ask if your school can allow you to do year 2 Maths, Biology and year 1 Further Maths/Economics. Many of my peers who disliked one of their A levels dropped it, and took 2 A-levels this year, and the following year they are going to take the other one.
However, most schools have very different procedures, so I would be wary about this option as there may be timetabled clashes.

Moreover, I would only continue Chemistry if you have a real chance at progressing. If you have a A or B, you should consider continuing. You could alternatively use this summer to fix the grade. If you truly feel chemistry is a dead end, drop it.

The third option is retake all 3 of them. While it seems your "behind", assuming you have good grades in Maths/Bio, you would be chilling the year and only working really on 1
Original post by sg206
Hi everyone.

I am currently at the end of Year 12 studying Maths, Biology and Chemistry, however I really dislike Chemistry and want to change it to another subject (Economics or Further Maths).

The only option for me to be able to change subjects is to retake Year 12, meaning an extra year of A-levels.

Would you recommend me to retake the year so I can do subjects I like, or to just try my hardest to get a good grade in Chemistry and then move on?

Any help will be appreciated :smile:

It's not unusual for students to retake year 12 so if it is an option for you and you get to study subjects you prefer, then do it.

Have you thought about what you want to do beyond A levels? If you have a degree in mind, check the entry requirements for your course on uni websites to see if there are any required subjects.
Original post by normaw
It's not unusual for students to retake year 12 so if it is an option for you and you get to study subjects you prefer, then do it.

Have you thought about what you want to do beyond A levels? If you have a degree in mind, check the entry requirements for your course on uni websites to see if there are any required subjects.

Hello I just wanted to ask a quick question. I want to retake year 12 aswell. For context I do A-level Biology, Psychology and Chemistry (Chemistry I want to change to Sociology). I wanted to ask if I could do two subjects this year and finish Sociology in summer 2025, or if I should retake all 3 subjects all over again. could you please give me advice? Thank you.
Original post by caramelburger
Hello I just wanted to ask a quick question. I want to retake year 12 aswell. For context I do A-level Biology, Psychology and Chemistry (Chemistry I want to change to Sociology). I wanted to ask if I could do two subjects this year and finish Sociology in summer 2025, or if I should retake all 3 subjects all over again. could you please give me advice? Thank you.

If you're repeating year 12, then why not take all three subjects in 2025? Some unis might want to see the three A levels taken in one sitting.
Original post by normaw
If you're repeating year 12, then why not take all three subjects in 2025? Some unis might want to see the three A levels taken in one sitting.

I went to my college and they allowed me to pick either one of the choices to do previously mentioned. I've spoken to my biology teacher, and he said that for the new year 12's they are switching exam boards from OCR to Edexcel and he also said that I get good grades so I should take it this year as well as Psychology, and next year have more time to revise for purely Sociology. One question I have is do universities look down on a levels taken in two separate sittings or would it be alright in my case as I only changed subjects and technically for Biology the exam boards would be changed so I would cover new content in the usual time span of 2 years? Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by caramelburger
I went to my college and they allowed me to pick either one of the choices to do previously mentioned. I've spoken to my biology teacher, and he said that for the new year 12's they are switching exam boards from OCR to Edexcel and he also said that I get good grades so I should take it this year as well as Psychology, and next year have more time to revise for purely Sociology. One question I have is do universities look down on a levels taken in two separate sittings or would it be alright in my case as I only changed subjects and technically for Biology the exam boards would be changed so I would cover new content in the usual time span of 2 years? Thanks

hey I know this was quite a bit ago but what did you decide to do as I’m in y12 currently but really hate what I’m doing and want to redo but I have to wait u till next September.

Quick Reply

Latest