The Student Room Group

Edexcel economics unit 1 and 2 retakes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by epic within
question asked what increased producer surplus for coffee, technology improvements would reduce costs of productions and shift S curve to the right increasing producer surplus, option A reduces it

Yep^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A-LevelEconomist
I was literally about to do that but then read the question again. Hopefully you didn't loose too many marks?

I know you get 1 mark for drawing the basic demand and supply diagram and get 1 mark for using the data, better than 0 :smile:
Tea and coffee are substitutes. Advertising for tea would increase demand for tea (as advertising has a positive effect on demand) and subsequently a fall in demand for coffee and a fall in producer surplus
Feel like a bit of a mug for missing out the second 14 marker :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
question asked what increased producer surplus for coffee, technology improvements would reduce costs of productions and shift S curve to the right increasing producer surplus, option A reduces it

Yh you are right and I put that in the exam. That other guy just confused me.
Original post by Princepieman
Feel like a bit of a mug for missing out the second 14 marker :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

the one on tradable pollution permits?
So for the MCQ we have answers to:

The PPF question- the answer was that producing more capital goods would lead to economic growth

The YED question about meats- Fish has a higher YED than meat

The buffer stock question- the government would sell from its stockpile

The price mechanism question- acts as a signal for firms to make production decisions

The question about Ibiza- decrease in revenue as demand is elastic

The question about a rise in producer surplus- increase in technology will increase producer surplus

The externality question- there would be a net welfare gain

The free market/ market failure question- the under provision of public goods.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Amrazing98
Tea and coffee are substitutes. Advertising for tea would increase demand for tea (as advertising has a positive effect on demand) and subsequently a fall in demand for coffee and a fall in producer surplus

Yes but it was about an increase in producer surplus. You'd still get marks tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes but it was about an increase in producer surplus. You'd still get marks tho.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly my point. so surely the advertisement for tea couldn't have increased surplus like everyone else is saying
So out of eight MCQ we have answers to:

The PPF question- the answer was that producing more capital goods would lead to economic growth

The price mechanism question- acts as a signal for firms to make production decisions

The question about a rise in producer surplus- increase in technology will increase producer surplus

There are twobquestions left... One had an externality diagram and I forgot the other one??

2nd one is the wrong way around Meat > Fish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are two questions left... One had an externality diagram and I forgot the other one??

one was that in the free market economy there are under provision of public goods or something like that
2nd one is the wrong way around Meat > Fish.

All I remember is that that one of them had a YED of 1.2 or something so it made that good more elastic than the other one. I can't remember the exact question...

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are two questions left... One had an externality diagram and I forgot the other one??

The externality one was about vaccinations and it had different scenarios and I think it said if they produced a certain amount, it would reach the social optimum point and the external benefit would be internalised, that's what I put for that one
one was that in the free market economy there are under provision of public goods or something like that

Yes I put market failure occurs when public goods like strew lighting is under provided.
All I remember is that that one of them had a YED of 1.2 or something so it made that good more elastic than the other one. I can't remember the exact question...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it was like fish had an income elasticity of 0.7 or something, making it inelastic and meat had 1.2 so it was bigger and elastic as well
Original post by emilia_claire
The externality one was about vaccinations and it had different scenarios and I think it said if they produced a certain amount, it would reach the social optimum point and the external benefit would be internalised, that's what I put for that one

It said something about the price mechanism ?? I didn't put that one..
Yeah, it was like fish had an income elasticity of 0.7 or something, making it inelastic and meat had 1.2 so it was bigger and elastic as well

I remember putting option D down.....
Reply 77
wasn't it if they increase the amount of vaccines, there would be a net welfare gain
It said something about the price mechanism ?? I didn't put that one..

i think the answer was that moving from one point to another q1 to qe is going to increase the welfare gain
Original post by ACTT
wasn't it if they increase the amount of vaccines, there would be a net welfare gain

Yeah i think i put something like that down

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending