The Student Room Group

Opinions on AQA AS Psychology Paper 1, 16 May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hello, Is there a thread for the Psychology Unit 2 Paper?
I need help for the Pavlov's research please.
I am confused because it says a lab assistant was the stimulus and then talks about a bell?
Is it that the one with the bell was the experiment he did?
Reply 482
It was nice apart from the 12 mark question of the Working Memory Model: I just listed the central executive, episodic buffer, visuo something and phonological loop then forgot names of the researchers and which was with which so just went onto doing 1 evaluative point about blind people and their good spatial awareness lolololol. My friend did none of the 12 markers ahaahaha. I hope I get a B I got an E for the mock. But this was gooood
Reply 483
Original post by Abirella
I need help for the Pavlov's research please.
I am confused because it says a lab assistant was the stimulus and then talks about a bell?
Is it that the one with the bell was the experiment he did?

Pavlov's classical conditioning with dogs salivating for food is usually stated as a bell/noise as the neutral stimulus in most books I've read. However, he may have tried variations on the neutral stimulus, to try form different associations and see if it still elicited the same conditioned response, I don't know? Did you read it in a book or your notes?

Although technically he didn't ring a bell, as most textbooks insist he did, but that'd be me being pedantic - although repetitions of his experiment by other behaviourists used a bell. Ringing a bell simply wasn't scientific enough for him. He used buzzers/metronomes ect though.
Could you please reupload what you had before? My friends and I thought that it was hilarious! It helped greatly in relieving stress
The 12 markers in paper 2 will be on The Cognitive approach and The biological approach to explaining/treating depression, this is because in the three specimen papers available the behavioural approach social learning theory have already come up, along with behavioural approach to treating phobias and the cognitive approach to explaining and treating depression
Reply 486
Original post by m_wharrier
The 12 markers in paper 2 will be on The Cognitive approach and The biological approach to explaining/treating depression, this is because in the three specimen papers available the behavioural approach social learning theory have already come up, along with behavioural approach to treating phobias and the cognitive approach to explaining and treating depression

I thought biological is for OCD (in spec'). Not depression.

Unless you meant OCD?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kefte
Pavlov's classical conditioning with dogs salivating for food is usually stated as a bell/noise as the neutral stimulus in most books I've read. However, he may have tried variations on the neutral stimulus, to try form different associations and see if it still elicited the same conditioned response, I don't know? Did you read it in a book or your notes?

Although technically he didn't ring a bell, as most textbooks insist he did, but that'd be me being pedantic - although repetitions of his experiment by other behaviourists used a bell. Ringing a bell simply wasn't scientific enough for him. He used buzzers/metronomes ect though.

I think you are a little confused.... The neutral stimulus is always the object thag produces a response by itself so it was the food. The uncondiitioned stimulus was the bell as this is what pavlov CONDITIONED the dog to salivate to.
Reply 488
Original post by Rigby16
I think you are a little confused.... The neutral stimulus is always the object thag produces a response by itself so it was the food. The uncondiitioned stimulus was the bell as this is what pavlov CONDITIONED the dog to salivate to.

No - although you could argue that the bell is both (but it only becomes the conditioned stimulus after conditioning). The bell starts off as the neutral stimulus (if you use a bell as the neutral stimulus to begin with). As the bell is neutral, it elicits no response to begin with, without conditioning/association.

NS (neutral stimulus) = bell.

Bell (NS) + food (UCS) = association.

So bell becomes a conditioned stimulus (CS) through association = condition response (CR).
(edited 7 years ago)
i thought the last 12 marker question didn't ask us to evaluate :/ it didn't say discuss and evaluate but just discuss
My teacher said 50 marks would be around a C how accurate is this I know it depends on what other people got but roughly
Reply 491
Original post by vezuxiii
My teacher said 50 marks would be around a C how accurate is this I know it depends on what other people got but roughly

Across both papers??
Original post by dmy15
Across both papers??

No for the first one
Original post by vezuxiii
No for the first one

I very much doubt 50 will be a C for the first one, especially since it isn't even that high normally, and because it's a new spec the boundaries are sure to be low, even tho it is based on how people do, should be around 44/45 for a C
Reply 494
How many marks worth of biopsychology will be in the Unit 2 paper
Original post by m_wharrier
But it's not on the specification to know the biological approach for depression?
Any predictions for the 8 marker ?? :biggrin: dreading the research methods
Is there a psychology paper 2 thread??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dmy15

that will depend..there is no exact figure for that:

section 1: Approaches in psychology (this includes biopsychology)
section 2: Psychopathology
section 3: Research method

hope that helps
Reply 499
Original post by dmy15

If the practice papers are to go-by, 5-marks for one, 8-marks for the other. So not many, but still enough to make a grade difference - but as we've already experience, the practice papers shouldn't be much a guideline of what to expect.

I keep hoping they'll just ask us to label a neuron as a part of it. Perhaps a slightly longer question on fight and flight.. so that's what I'm concentrating on. Thankfully I do biology as well, and I've covered much of this.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending