The Student Room Group

OCR MEI C1 18th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlakeToad
probably 3 or something, for the equation of the translated quadratic did you do f(x-3), and expanded?

Yeah i did but i was sitting there thinking why is the y intercept on my graph not -5?? And then realised after i got out of the exam that i translated it wrong haha terrible
Reply 41
what did you get for that y=X + 3 intersecting the x^2 -5x - 3 ?? I got a surd! 😬
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hiba.A
For teh questions stating express a in terms of c ...do you make c the subject!?!?!? That's what i did but apparently you make a the subject..

Yeah i got stuck on that one for a bit too, originally i did it for c, but then read the question and its just the 'express a' part that's important. They tried to trick you by putting the original thing as a= ahhh
Original post by BlakeToad
Yeah i got stuck on that one for a bit too, originally i did it for c, but then read the question and its just the 'express a' part that's important. They tried to trick you by putting the original thing as a= ahhh

No it was express a in terms of c. So it would be a=
Original post by jessyoung
No it was express a in terms of c. So it would be a=

Yeah that's what i did, its just if you don't think about it you'd do it for c=, you're rearranging something that's already a= into another a=, would catch some people out.
Original post by TeeEm
How hard was the MEI C1, please?

I found it ok but i think it was a hard paper compared to other years. There weren't any one off questions though, all have been in past papers, nothing crazy.
If one correctly re-arranged the equation in the form c=, how many marks would they br expected to earn? It was out of 4 iirc
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
If one correctly re-arranged the equation in the form c=, how many marks would they br expected to earn? It was out of 4 iirc

Depends how much working you showed. If you wrote out each step maybe 1 or 2?
Reply 48
Does anyone know where you can find an unofficial mark scheme for the paper?
For the last question. I realised that for the linear and quadratic to NOT intersect, the linear would have to intersect the y axis below the y value of the turning point on the quadratic. So, I differentiated the quadratic and found the coordinates for the turning point and then just said that for the linear(y=x+k) to NOT intersect, x+k<(y value of turning point)

Have I got anything correct there?
What grade boundaries should we expect? 57ish for an A?
(edited 7 years ago)
I accidently translated the vector one wrong :frown: moved it 3 units to the left rather than right! would that give me no marks or do you think there would still be method marks? (it was out of 4)
also an unofficial mark scheme would be beneficial to us all, or if anyone can remember any of the questions :smile:
If anyone has the paper i'd be happy to attempt to make an unofficial markscheme
Original post by ocnarfeam
For the last question. I realised that for the linear and quadratic to NOT intersect, the linear would have to intersect the y axis below the y value of the turning point on the quadratic. So, I differentiated the quadratic and found the coordinates for the turning point and then just said that for the linear(y=x+k) to NOT intersect, x+k<(y value of turning point)

Have I got anything correct there?

For this question you set the equations to equal each other and then turned it into a quadratic=0

Then you use the discriminant b^2-4ac.

b^2-4ac is less than 0 which means there are no real roots.
Original post by sdeponte
I accidently translated the vector one wrong :frown: moved it 3 units to the left rather than right! would that give me no marks or do you think there would still be method marks? (it was out of 4)

Are you sure?! I'm sure it was 2 or 3! I got the equation of the translated curve right but like you I moved it to the left not the right :s-smilie:
Original post by jessyoung
Are you sure?! I'm sure it was 2 or 3! I got the equation of the translated curve right but like you I moved it to the left not the right :s-smilie:

well it was in 2 parts, both worth 2 marks. but if I got the first part wrong I would have gotten the 2nd part wrong too as I wrote (x+3)^2 instead of (x-3)^2

also I heard a lot of people found it easy so I was thinking like 60/61 for an A
By far the hardest C1 paper I can remember, hope the grade boundaries will be low. I know I got a lot of the questions wrong but hopefully method marks???
Original post by Tommo791
What grade boundaries should we expect? 57ish for an A?

I think it would be 61-62, rather than 57. This paper is not particularly hard compare to other years.
Although I think I used completing the square a bit too much when quadratic formula may have been better. Normally in C1 papers though, most of the quadratics factorize. Awkward numbers made the paper really hard for me like question 3. Instead of the nice substitution then solve quadratic question it turned out as 10x^2 +24x -18. Now that may have been wrong and if so then it makes sense why my answer was wrong really awkward and definitely wrong but if that is correct then how that in anyway is solvable without a calculator (for the quad form) is beyond me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending