The Student Room Group

Aqa law unit 2 *offical thread*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zeshan1
Could you outline all the limits for me please

Small claims- upto £10,000/ personal injuries upto £1,000/ heard in the county court

Fast track- cases between £10,000-£25,000/ personal injuries over £1,000/ heard in the county court

Multi track- cases over £25,000/ heard in the county court if below £100,000/ heard in the high court if over £100,000.

Hope that helps, the question on the tracks comes up every year... Identify the track of C and what court :-)
Reply 21
Original post by Thamim01
Within Negligence, whats the easiest way to apply 3 risk factors to the scenario? i know Latimer is a given in any scenario

What do you mean you don't have to apply all 4 risk factors 2 will be sufficient...
Reply 22
Original post by Zeshan1
Thank you very much and all the best!

You too good luck!!
Can anyone help with the procedure that is followed in a point of trial? and how you would apply it to the scenario?
Reply 24
Can anyone help with the procedure that is followed in a point of trial? and how you would apply it to the scenario?

Which procedure? Summary, triable either way indictable? Doesn't really need application just use the name of the defendant...
Original post by NHM
Which procedure? Summary, triable either way indictable? Doesn't really need application just use the name of the defendant...

I was talking about the procedure trial in Negligence sorry
Reply 26
I was talking about the procedure trial in Negligence sorry

Oh right... Again doesn't really need much application just use the names of C and D?
Reply 27
Original post by NHM
I structure my questions like this, my teacher an AQA examiner marked this and it received full marks :-) . image.jpg

solid answer. Good luck guys
Fairly urgent question: Was just looking at the mark schemes for some past papers and there is one where they are talking about assault and it says to may reference to S39 CJA. We haven't covered anything about this, so i was just wondering what the relevance is. Is it where the offence is defined, because we have always learnt that it is defined in common law..
Reply 29
Original post by Segsation
Fairly urgent question: Was just looking at the mark schemes for some past papers and there is one where they are talking about assault and it says to may reference to S39 CJA. We haven't covered anything about this, so i was just wondering what the relevance is. Is it where the offence is defined, because we have always learnt that it is defined in common law..

Just put something like this...

Assault is a common law offence but there is now reference to it in the CJA 1988 (s39), it is a summary offence heard in the magistrates court and carries a maximum sentence of 6 months or a £5,000 fine.

Same for battery!
Original post by NHM
Just put something like this...

Assault is a common law offence but there is now reference to it in the CJA 1988 (s39), it is a summary offence heard in the magistrates court and carries a maximum sentence of 6 months or a £5,000 fine.

Same for battery!

Do we have to say about the type of offence and sentences as well?? We've always just said, 'The most likely offence for ... to have committed is assault. This is defined in common law. The acts reus of assault is.....'
Reply 31
Do we have to say about the type of offence and sentences as well?? We've always just said, 'The most likely offence for ... to have committed is assault. This is defined in common law. The acts reus of assault is.....'

My teacher is an AQA examiner and she has said so :-)
Original post by NHM
My teacher is an AQA examiner and she has said so :-)

ok thanks, I'll see what i can do to find out about these in the next 3 hours:s-smilie:
Original post by ~Cerridwen~
What cases go with legal causation? I have it down as the Pagett case but that is usually in intervening acts, right?

I've just got R V Pagett and R V White- which is the one where the D tried to poison his mother with cyanide, but before the poison was able to take affect, she died of a heart attack, so he was not liable for her murder
Reply 34
[QUOTE="liz.dixon123;64980793"]
Original post by ~Cerridwen~
What cases go with legal causation? I have it down as the Pagett case but that is usually in intervening acts, right?

Factual causation is Padgett and white.

Legal causation is substantive and operative cause + intervening acts
So act of third party - smith
Vs own act - Roberts
Act of God
Then mention thin skull rule

I've just got R V Pagett and R V White- which is the one where the D tried to poison his mother with cyanide, but before the poison was able to take affect, she died of a heart attack, so he was not liable for her murder
Reply 35
ok thanks, I'll see what i can do to find out about these in the next 3 hours:s-smilie:

Assault + battery - summary offences max 6 months imprisonment or £5,000 fine heard in magistrates.

S47/s.20 - triable either way offences/ heard in crown or magistrates/ max 5 years imprisonment.

S.18- indictable/ heard in crown/ Max life
CAUSATION IN FACT (but for test)
R V White
R V Pagett
INTERVENING ACT (X3)
act of V
act of 3rd party
act of nature
CAUSATION IN LAW (look at D contribution) = MORE THAN MINIMAL
R V Smith
R V Cheshire- which updated R V Smith
R V Roberts- reasonably forseeable
R V Williams- actions not reasonably forseeable so D was not liable
MEDICAL NEGLIGENCE- not usually break chain of causation unless it makes Ds actions appear insignificant (were the actions forseeable? could it break the chain of causation?)
I dont know if this will help??
Reply 37
ima walk in and fail :smile:
Original post by NHM
Assault + battery - summary offences max 6 months imprisonment or £5,000 fine heard in magistrates.

S47/s.20 - triable either way offences/ heard in crown or magistrates/ max 5 years imprisonment.

S.18- indictable/ heard in crown/ Max life

Oh, thank you so much! that's not so bad to learn then xx
Reply 39
Oh, thank you so much! that's not so bad to learn then xx

No problem :-) what section are you doing first tort or criminal?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending