The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Malayali Ali
Put their elderly parents in a home but keep animals in their home.

Why they are doin these fings?

Why do you Easterners eat dog and stone women accused of adultery to death? :smile:
Then they've kinda wasted their life then haven't they. As Asians our whole lives are planned by our elders and our community so that we are effectively a cog serving the wider wheel of family and community. Our marriages are planned so that the relevent suitor is from a mutually similarly sort of background of decent standing, our education and careers are planned likewise so that they have solid prospects for the future and are lucrative and of ultimately when we come of age it is our duty to pay due diligence to the ones that helped us get there. As opposed to westerners who indulge in every whim and desire going and apply these misguided notions of fairness, freedom and democracy when in reality its just instant gratification they are trying to legitimise. If you have lived your entire life and haven't gathered enough wisdom and resources to support the people that made you then what the hell is your existence for; effectively you're just an animal.

What's the point of life when everything is already planned? Oh wait, aren't you just a puppet if everything's planned for you and you're not the one that makes decisions? :facepalm:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Since when is providing a pet a loving home a bad thing?

I can't stand douches like you who think animals are nothing but dumb burdens to the world and so don't deserve a home.

And btw fix your English. I doubt anyone will take you seriously.

I think you've completely misunderstood OP. And that was a bit mean as English may not be his/her first language. Just saying...

He/she wasn't saying anything about animals/ commenting on whether or not animals do/don't deserve a loving home but rather how some people willingly choose to live and care for their pets but not want to consider living and caring for their ageing parents by allowing them to stay under their own care through the comfort of their home. Rather, preferring to take their parents to old people's centres because they are viewed as extra baggage to be dealt with so they don't have to deal with the hassle in taking care of them.
In some cases, this does sadly happen and it makes me sick.
Some people would actually rather take care and handle living with a dog (not saying that animals are not important, this is coming from someone who they themselves has pets) rather than taking care of their parents/parent who went through hell and all efforts in life to love, raise and support them. I think that's cruel and I feel sorry for these parents.

I love my pets but I would rather take care of my mother any day even when she's dealing with the side effects of old age that can make living with her difficult such as memory loss, her not being able to walk- needing my attention or whether needing to be fed or changed after using a diaper because her body isn't functioning the same as it used to. Whatever it is, I would want for her to spend her final years with me and would not view her as a baggage.

I've visited old peoples homes/centres on different occasions as on Christmas day and eve me and my church like to give presents and sing Christmas carols to the elders in different homes as it makes them happy some one is visiting, showing they are remembered. Many of them seem very lonely and often are afraid they would die alone without their loved ones i.e children being their in their final moments, missing their children. It's sad. I can only hope that my own children will not do the same, not seeing me as baggage that needs to be dumped at a care home, being alone. This is why I respect some cultures because they avoid this from happening. But then again, not all people who leave their parents at care/old peoples homes have bad reasons but have sound reasons... some actually have the best intentions for their parents and because they are unfit of taking the responsibility send them there visiting regularly, even calling their parents daily/weekly to see how they are doing.
(edited 7 years ago)
the madness!
Original post by Rhythmical
I prefer pets to humans.

I prefer my parents and family to 'humans', 'pets' 'aliens' and so on. My parents are my parents whether human or not. #Parables.
Put their elderly parents in a home but keep animals in their home.

Why they are doin these fings?

Because both situations are matters of palliative care, yet there are people who are trained to look after humans when it comes to palliative care, but there are no specific hospices for pets when it comes to palliative care. Most end-of-life care in pets is done via regular veterinary visits with painkillers, steroids and other relief-based medications, while they're at home. Similar things are available with private health services for humans, but not as widely used, since the economical solution is hospice care.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The Roast
Why do you Easterners eat dog and stone women accused of adultery to death? :smile:

Dogs are no less worthy of eating than cattle. Once a woman has displayed such a flagrant disregard for morality all her actions from that point are tainted and irrelevant. Would you trust a woman in business/trade for example if she had no moral/marital integrity? Probably not.
Dogs are no less worthy of eating than cattle. Once a woman has displayed such a flagrant disregard for morality all her actions from that point are tainted and irrelevant. Would you trust a woman in business/trade for example if she had no moral/marital integrity? Probably not.

No, but I wouldn't stone her to death. It seems to me that you're endorsing the death penalty... disgusting.

Yo this is the 21st century we don't stone people. That is strange behaviour.
People used to take care of their elders in this country but that was a long time ago. Since the 60s, The English have been a highly individualistic people, too focused on themselves, not wanting any burdens even if it means looking after your own parents.

People from other cultures and countries can balance looking after their elders with their own lives, just as the English did pre-1960. One of the ways you can see a culture degenerating is when young adults put their own parents into care homes so they don't have to deal with them.
Original post by Cherry82
I think you've completely misunderstood OP. And that was a bit mean as English may not be his/her first language. Just saying...

He/she wasn't saying anything about animals/ commenting on whether or not animals do/don't deserve a loving home but rather how some people willingly choose to live and care for their pets but not want to consider living and caring for their ageing parents by allowing them to stay under their own care through the comfort of their home. Rather, preferring to take their parents to old people's centres because they are viewed as extra baggage to be dealt with so they don't have to deal with the hassle in taking care of them.
In some cases, this does sadly happen and it makes me sick.
Some people would actually rather take care and handle living with a dog (not saying that animals are not important, this is coming from someone who they themselves has pets) rather than taking care of their parents/parent who went through hell and all efforts in life to love, raise and support them. I think that's cruel and I feel sorry for these parents.

I love my pets but I would rather take care of my mother any day even when she's dealing with the side effects of old age that can make living with her difficult such as memory loss, her not being able to walk- needing my attention or whether needing to be fed or changed after using a diaper because her body isn't functioning the same as it used to. Whatever it is, I would want for her to spend her final years with me and would not view her as a baggage.

I've visited old peoples homes/centres on different occasions as on Christmas day and eve me and my church like to give presents and sing Christmas carols to the elders in different homes as it makes them happy some one is visiting, showing they are remembered. Many of them seem very lonely and often are afraid they would die alone without their loved ones i.e children being their in their final moments, missing their children. It's sad. I can only hope that my own children will not do the same, not seeing me as baggage that needs to be dumped at a care home, being alone. This is why I respect some cultures because they avoid this from happening. But then again, not all people who leave their parents at care/old peoples homes have bad reasons but have sound reasons... some actually have the best intentions for their parents and because they are unfit of taking the responsibility send them there visiting regularly, even calling their parents daily/weekly to see how they are doing.

I've noticed the same thing. I work as a postman and a delivery driver and deliver to many different care homes. Most of the elderly people look sad, depressed, lonely and bored out of their minds. I guess it would be normal to feel that way, after all as an old person you'd have to leave your comfy home to be crammed into a place where old people are dumped because they've outlived their usefulness in the real world (that's exactly how they probably feel - worthless). One woman told me that her kids hadn't bothered visiting her for a month. I was shocked, although I probably shouldn't be because I bet most people don't bother visiting their old parents more than once every week or two.

They work a lifetime only to be discarded in an old people's home after retiring.

I highly respect traditional churches and people who are conservative Christians because they're far more likely to take their elders in. I think it's no surprise that the family has started to break down since the church has become less influential, and Christianity a dying religion.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest