The Student Room Group

National 5 Modern Studies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Ethan100
lol
"Well this person has done more work than they should have, I'm going to remove some mark"

Don't worry, you won't lose marks automatically for doing more paras. All that happens is if for a 6 marker u do 3 paras instead of 2 then the marker would read the paras and then award the marks to the best two. So u Might have a para worth 3 marks, a para worth 2 marks and a para worth 1 mark. You would get 5 marks as they award the marks to the best two. It's different from last year and 2014 where a para was expected to be worth 2 marks whereas now a para is expected to be worth 3 marks. If you click on the links below u can see an answer for a 2014 paper and how they did 3 very basic points and got the marks. (Note this person wrote it as one para but still has 3 points. Its not really how many paras you do but how many different points you raise). (It's sqa and a real candidates answer so legit btw).

ANSWER (in order to see the marks they got u have to click your mark and say what u thing they got and then click reveal examiner feedback to see what they really got.

http://www.understandingstandards.org.uk/Subjects/Modern_Studies/National_5/QuestionPaper

So ye all that's changed is ur answers need to be more detailed than they used to be but u need less answers.
Reply 221
Original post by Puppo
Don't worry, you won't lose marks automatically for doing more paras. All that happens is if for a 6 marker u do 3 paras instead of 2 then the marker would read the paras and then award the marks to the best two. So u Might have a para worth 3 marks, a para worth 2 marks and a para worth 1 mark. You would get 5 marks as they award the marks to the best two. It's different from last year and 2014 where a para was expected to be worth 2 marks whereas now a para is expected to be worth 3 marks. If you click on the links below u can see an answer for a 2014 paper and how they did 3 very basic points and got the marks. (Note this person wrote it as one para but still has 3 points. Its not really how many paras you do but how many different points you raise). (It's sqa and a real candidates answer so legit btw).

ANSWER (in order to see the marks they got u have to click your mark and say what u thing they got and then click reveal examiner feedback to see what they really got.

http://www.understandingstandards.org.uk/Subjects/Modern_Studies/National_5/QuestionPaper

So ye all that's changed is ur answers need to be more detailed than they used to be but u need less answers.

It's **** compared to the last years I must say
Here's what I put and my modern teacher said she was happy with what I'd told her:

Democracy in the UK

Q1 - 1st point: Parties use local media to talk about their aims and ambitions to a wide variety of potential voters. Listeners can also interact with the candidate through a phone call or text conversation
2nd point: Parties hand out leaflets to influence potential voters. Leaflets are cost effective and very simple on the eye, making voters liable to change their views in harmony with the party's views.

Q2 - 1st point: FPTP can produce a coalition government. Coalition governments can create disillusion and confusion in the British public, meaning we are likely to not develop and prosper to what has been originally promised. Example was the 2010 coalition formed between the Tories and Lib Dems
2nd point: Smaller parties find it hard to gain seats in the Commons if they are out with the big three parties. This is considered undemocratic because it means that the Commons is not representing a significant number of people's favoured parties and views. An example of this is how the Green Party struggle to represent in the Commons in General Elections.
3rd point: Many votes are wasted in the FPTP system. This is due to how there is only one vote allowed per person and how many parties are allowed to take part. An example of this is the results from the 2010 election, in which the majority of voters did not see their favoured party get voted in

Q3 - Selective in the use of Facts. It was okay but the source was a bit of a shambles in my opinion.

Crime and Law

Q1 - 1st point: Police can get involved in the community in an attempt to tackle crime. Police can do this by teaching the youth about crime and the consequences of crime as well as developing relationships neighbourhoods.
2nd point: Police can roll out in high numbers in an attempt to tackle crime. Police can do this to scare potential criminals away from committing crimes at big events such as football games and concerts.

Q2 - 1st point: Geographical location is one factor. This is because of how crime rate is much higher in city areas than rural areas, and that people are more likely to be directly affected in cities than rural areas. An example of this is the London Riots in (2011?).
2nd point: Age is another factor. This is because many criminals target the elderly due to their fragility and vulnerability and old age. An example of this is the mental trauma caused by the crime inflicted on them which can cause low morale and confidence in the elderly citizen.

Q3 - 10 marker was okay. Can't really remember it haha

USA

Q1 - 1st point: Americans have the right to run as a candidate for their political party. Americans can run for a political role at state to federal level. An example of this is Bernie Sanders running for president for the Democratic party.
2nd point: Americans can freely campaign for their favoured candidate/party. Americans can freely fund and campaign for their party in an attempt to boost the party's chances in influencing potential voters.
3rd point: Americans can attend political movements for their candidate/party. Americans can attend political rallies and walks to support their candidate and gain media attention.

Q2 - 1st point - America's economy and infrastructure have a big impact on foreign countries. This is because of their global recognition and their strong trade links with other Western countries, which take are able to prosper from the links. An example of this is Britain's trade link with America and how American companies like Apple and Google are able to thrive in a British economy as well as contribute to it.
2nd point - America's strong military has a big impact on foreign countries. This is because many countries cannot match the US's military force and succumb under invasion and threat of a war. An example of this is when America took over Libya when Colonel Gadaffi was murdered by the civilians against them, meaning Libya was under American leadership.

Q3- 1st conclusion: Japan was had less of a problem with crime than other countries
2nd conclusion: Can't rememeber it
3rd conclusion: South Korea
Thank god for that
Reply 224
For democracy in Scotland Q1 I said televised debates, would that be right? I'm quite worried because I haven't seen anybody else mention it

And for the US influence I said culture and financially, I'm quite worried I won't get the marks for culture :s-smilie:
Reply 225
Original post by jj1814
For democracy in Scotland Q1 I said televised debates, would that be right? I'm quite worried because I haven't seen anybody else mention it

And for the US influence I said culture and financially, I'm quite worried I won't get the marks for culture :s-smilie:

Me and my friend both did debates and flyers for question 1!
Reply 226
Original post by Puppo
Same lmao in all the writing exams I keep asking for more paper and finsish at the very end. God help me for higher

The woman came up to me when I asked for my third extra sheet and she was really mad 😂 and yeah I think its going to be so hard 😂 hopefully it'll be fine next year but there are way more skills questions I think 😁
Reply 227
Original post by jj1814

I said televised debates and posters so hopefully we'll be fine!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending