The Student Room Group

How would you start/apply to do BTEC?

I feel like doing BTEC is better for me than doing A- Levels so what should I know to start BTEC?
Original post by 87ytyhuiu7y
I feel like doing BTEC is better for me than doing A- Levels so what should I know to start BTEC?

Step 1 would be to establish which BTEC you want to study. There are lots to choose from, and it can get very confusing.

Are you looking to do a single BTEC which is the equivalent of three A levels? If so, then you want a Extended Diploma. You could also opt to take two or three smaller BTECs, in different subjects. If so, you might want to look at a Certificate, Extended Certificate or Diploma. Regardless, to be at the same "level" as A levels, you'll want them to be Level 3.

Then you need to decide which subject you want to study, and then find a college local to you which teaches that BTEC.

One thing to remember it to think beyond your BTEC too. What is it you want to use the qualification for? It could be to apply for jobs, apprenticeships, or degree courses, for example. If so check they'll accept the BTEC you want to study. This is important, particular for any potential university applications, as they can sometimes be very fussy and will accept some BTECs but not others.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Step 1 would be to establish which BTEC you want to study. There are lots to choose from, and it can get very confusing.

Are you looking to do a single BTEC which is the equivalent of three A levels? If so, then you want a Extended Diploma. You could also opt to take two or three smaller BTECs, in different subjects. If so, you might want to look at a Certificate, Extended Certificate or Diploma. Regardless, to be at the same "level" as A levels, you'll want them to be Level 3.

Then you need to decide which subject you want to study, and then find a college local to you which teaches that BTEC.

One thing to remember it to think beyond your BTEC too. What is it you want to use the qualification for? It could be to apply for jobs, apprenticeships, or degree courses, for example. If so check they'll accept the BTEC you want to study. This is important, particular for any potential university applications, as they can sometimes be very fussy and will accept some BTECs but not others.

So I would just need to sign up to that particular college right?
So I would just need to sign up to that particular college right?

Right.
Reply 4
Right.

Is there a list of BTEC subjects or something ^^'?
Is there a list of BTEC subjects or something ^^'?

Your best bet is to visit this page and then click the "expand all" link to get this list:
BTEC Nationals List (abbreviated).JPG
(This screenshot is obviously a truncated list.)

You could also download the BTEC Level 3 Nationals Guide (PDF 10.MB) or view the BTEC Nationals sector summaries to see the general areas that are covered, and then download the PDF which covers an area (sector) you're interested in.
Reply 6
Your best bet is to visit this page and then click the "expand all" link to get this list:
BTEC Nationals List (abbreviated).JPG
(This screenshot is obviously a truncated list.)

You could also download the BTEC Level 3 Nationals Guide (PDF 10.MB) or view the BTEC Nationals sector summaries to see the general areas that are covered, and then download the PDF which covers an area (sector) you're interested in.

Thanks a lot for this!! Do you know what I would have to do in say.. Game Design?
Thanks a lot for this!! Do you know what I would have to do in say.. Game Design?

I wasn't aware that there was a BTEC in Game Design. Do you have a link to where you see this BTEC being offered?

Here is a list of BTECs in IT/Computing. There isnt one for game design and even if there was you would need your local school/college to be offering it and most wouldnt.
IT and Computing
BTEC Level 3 Nationals prepare your learners for the
constantly evolving digital sector, ensuring your students
have the knowledge and skills they need to work in the
ever-changing world of Information Technology.
Latest qualifications:
BTEC Level 3 Nationals (RQF) qualifications are now available for:
Information Technology
Computing
Helping you switch to the new RQF
qualifications
We’re planning to run a series of events during
2020 to share all the information you will need to
easily move over to the new RQF qualifications.
We’ll be in touch as soon as these
are scheduled or you can check the
training page for latest news here.
Want to talk to someone about delivering
these qualifications?
You can contact us through our support portal
or by callling 0333 016 4160

quals.pearson.com/BTECL3Nationals
See next page for details
of all BTEC Level 3
Nationals IT qualifications
available as well as
what to do if you are
currently delivering the
QCF versions of these
qualifications.
BTEC Level 3 Nationals
Staff like that it is straight forward to teach
with clear sections and topics to cover.
The assignment objectives are in line with
current trends and modern technologies.
Grace Lyttle, BTEC IT Teacher, St Mary’s CE High School

B0404 May 2021_v2
BTEC Level 3 Nationals in IT and Computing
Suite
Qualification
Number
Title Status Assessment ESFA
16-19
Funding
ESFA
19+
Funding
DfE
Performance
Tables
Transition to new qualifications
Pearson BTEC Level 3
Nationals (QCF)
500/9148/7 Certificate in IT (QCF) * Current - Wales
and NI only
Internally
assessed
Yes Yes No 601/7574/6 Pearson BTEC Level 3 National
Certificate in Information Technology
500/9147/5 Subsidiary Diploma in IT (QCF) * Current - Wales
and NI only Yes Yes No 601/7575/8 Pearson BTEC Level 3 National
Extended Certificate in Information Technology
600/3887/1 90-credit Diploma in IT (QCF) * Current - Wales
and NI only Yes Yes No 601/7576/X Pearson BTEC Level 3 National
Foundation Diploma in Information Technology
500/9150/5 Diploma in IT (QCF) Current Yes Yes No 603/0455/8 Pearson BTEC Level 3 National
Diploma in Information Technology
500/9149/9 Extended Diploma in IT (QCF) Current Yes Yes No 603/0454/6 Pearson BTEC Level 3 National
Extended Diploma in Information Technology
Pearson BTEC Level 3
Nationals (RQF)
601/7574/6 Certificate in Information Technology Current
Internal and
external
assessment
Yes Yes Applied
General
n/a
601/7575/8 Extended Certificate in Information
Technology Current Yes Yes Applied
General
601/7576/X Foundation Diploma in Information
General
603/0455/8 Diploma in Information Technology Current Yes Yes Applied
General
603/0454/6 Extended Diploma in Information
General
quals.pearson.com/BTECL3Nationals
* Only available to learners in Wales and Northern Ireland.
See next page for Pearson BTEC Level 3 Nationals in IT and Computing (RQF) suite
© 123rf/Pavel Timofeev
B0404 May 2021_v2
© 123rf/Pavel Timofeev
BTEC Level 3 Nationals in IT and Computing
Suite
Qualification
Number
Title Status Assessment ESFA
16-19
Funding
ESFA
19+
Funding
DfE
Performance
Tables
Pearson BTEC Level 3
Nationals (RQF)
603/0446/7 Certificate in Computing Current
Internal and
external
assessment
Yes Yes Applied
General
601/7341/5 Extended Certificate in Computing Current
Yes Yes Applied
General
601/7343/9 Foundation Diploma in Computing Current
Yes Yes Applied
General
603/0445/5 Diploma in Computing Current
Yes Yes Applied
General
601/7342/7 Extended Diploma in Computing Current
Yes Yes Applie
Reply 9
I'm more specifically thinking about doing a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Game Art and then a course in 3D Games Art & Design. Would this be alright do you think?
I'm more specifically thinking about doing a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Game Art and then a course in 3D Games Art & Design. Would this be alright do you think?

Neither of the courses to which you refer are BTECs. I can see that Buckinghamshire College Group offer what they call a "Level 3 Extended Diploma in Game Art" (see here). However, the small print shows that the actual qualification you gain is "UAL Level 3 Diploma and Extended Diploma in Creative Practice: Art, Design and Communication". Is this the course to which you're referring?

When you say, "then a course in 3D Games Art & Design" are you talking about a degree in 3D Games Art & Design, like that offered by University of Hertfordshire, here?

Finally, when you ask "Would this be alright do you think?", I'm not sure what you're asking. For a career in game art / design? I'm sure it'll be fine, yes.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=12ee87d4a17d6850JmltdHM9MTY5MDE1NjgwMCZpZ3VpZD0zNjQzYjFiYS0yNzM0LTZlMzItMWRhNy1hMWNlMjYxMzZmYTkmaW5zaWQ9NTIwMA&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=3643b1ba-2734-6e32-1da7-a1ce26136fa9&psq=pearson+btec+level+3&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9xdWFsaWZpY2F0aW9ucy5wZWFyc29uLmNvbS9lbi9xdWFsaWZpY2F0aW9ucy9idGVjLW5hdGlvbmFscy5odG1s&ntb=1

Well it doesnt appear on the BTEC list so which college is offering it. To take a course involving coursework you need someone to assess it. If it is a UAL course you need to be very careful. Students who take these courses often find it isnt acceptable should you end up deciding you want to study an academic subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending